Hot for teacher

First..yes.

But i have a serious question as well...seems many of these teachers are "special Education" teachers. Am i to assume special education now does not only mean those with mental disabilities but also kids that are in trouble or just have a hard time in scho0l..bad boys in other words?

Are these teachers just fulfilling their bad boy fantasies?

First, yes.

Second, very good point plenzmd. Yes, in a lot of districts the majority of kids in Spec Ed are the "troubled youth", not handicapped or slow. I'm sure the students were minors in this case, but my friends who are Spec Ed teachers regularly have students that are 19 or 20 years old, and have been in and out of juvi.

First..yes.

But i have a serious question as well...seems many of these teachers are "special Education" teachers. Am i to assume special education now does not only mean those with mental disabilities but also kids that are in trouble or just have a hard time in scho0l..bad boys in other words?

Are these teachers just fulfilling their bad boy fantasies?

Are you lumping all learning ir emotionally disabled students as 'handicapped' or 'slow'...need to know whether my son, who's never been in and out of juvi, is considered 'troubled youth'...course he could be in one of the fewer districts where the majority of students aren't troubled...

Be careful how you throw qualifiers out there...theres enough of a stigma in sending your kids to special ed as it is...

Sorry, off my soapbox and sorry to single you out like this. I know your intention wasn't mean spirited...

First, yes.

Second, very good point plenzmd. Yes, in a lot of districts the majority of kids in Spec Ed are the "troubled youth", not handicapped or slow. I'm sure the students were minors in this case, but my friends who are Spec Ed teachers regularly have students that are 19 or 20 years old, and have been in and out of juvi.

Are you lumping all learning ir emotionally disabled students as 'handicapped' or 'slow'...need to know whether my son, who's never been in and out of juvi, is considered 'troubled youth'...course he could be in one of the fewer districts where the majority of students aren't troubled...

Be careful how you throw qualifiers out there...theres enough of a stigma in sending your kids to special ed as it is...

Sorry, off my soapbox and sorry to single you out like this. I know your intention wasn't mean spirited...

Pooj, i have a 12 yr old and a 10 year old, and when I hear special education , i always thought that meant cheildren with learning disabilities, or mentally handicapped,..or I am not sure the word to describe it without pissing someone off.

Hit me today a lot of these female teachers in these threads are special ed teachers..so gathered the term meant something different now..as it apparently does.

I do not think the Dr meant anything, as my first thought would have been kids that have had troubled pasts, whether in juvi or not.

Thanks for coming in and letting me know there are all kinds of kids in special education programs now, and i mean that sincerely..even in my advanced age i can continue to learn :thumbsup:

Yeah i'm sorry that my reopy had to be aimed at anyone...these discussions are the only way a lot of people hear my viewpoint...the Dr. is cool in my book...just wanted to play the role of bastard and express my pov...only way to learn is to be able to have this kind of give and take...

Pooj, i have a 12 yr old and a 10 year old, and when I hear special education , i always thought that meant cheildren with learning disabilities, or mentally handicapped,..or I am not sure the word to describe it without pissing someone off.

Hit me today a lot of these female teachers in these threads are special ed teachers..so gathered the term meant something different now..as it apparently does.

I do not think the Dr meant anything, as my first thought would have been kids that have had troubled pasts, whether in juvi or not.

Thanks for coming in and letting me know there are all kinds of kids in special education programs now, and i mean that sincerely..even in my advanced age i can continue to learn :thumbsup:

I know we're all good, but felt the need to respond anyways...

My choice of words was done quickly, and meant to avoid even worse terms like "retarded". "Learning disabled" is exactly what I was looking for, but did not pull out in my haste. I was trying to establish a distinction between the kids that genuinely need the extra help in order to learn, and the kids that the Special Ed teachers get "stuck with" since they act as the school's probation officer too. It's a shame because they tend to be disruptive and distracting to the kids that really need the teacher's attention. By "troubled youth" I meant the straight-up criminals that come back to school.

My mom was head of a local Special Ed department for 30+ years before recently retiring. I have plenty of friends that are Special Ed teachers as I started out on that track at SUNY Fredonia myself. I know exactly what types of challenges they, and their students, face on a daily basis. I would never intentionally insult or disrespect the students or teachers.

Edited by DrDareustein

Seriously Man...i understand...uf my 'rant' causes 1 person to choose their words more carefully, as was your intent, then mission accomplished...obviously it strikes close to home with me and I'd be doing my son a disservice by not speaking up.

I'm glad we can disvuss this civily...

Did i know you were a fellow Fred St'er??? '86 here...

I know we're all good, but felt the need to respond anyways...

My choice of words was done quickly, and meant to avoid even worse terms like "retarded". "Learning disabled" is exactly what I was looking for, but did not pull out in my haste. I was trying to establish a distinction between the kids that genuinely need the extra help in order to learn, and the kids that the Special Ed teachers get "stuck with" since they act as the school's probation officer too. It's a shame because they tend to be disruptive and distracting to the kids that really need the teacher's attention. By "troubled youth" I meant the straight-up criminals that come back to school.

My mom was head of a local Special Ed department for 30+ years before recently retiring. I have plenty of friends that are Special Ed teachers as I started out on that track at SUNY Fredonia myself. I know exactly what types of challenges they, and their students, face on a daily basis. I would never intentionally insult or disrespect the students or teachers.

Seriously Man...i understand...uf my 'rant' causes 1 person to choose their words more carefully, as was your intent, then mission accomplished...obviously it strikes close to home with me and I'd be doing my son a disservice by not speaking up.

I'm glad we can disvuss this civily...

Did i know you were a fellow Fred St'er??? '86 here...

Civil discussions are what Im here for! :thumbsup:

Hope I dont make you feel too old, but I was at Fredonia 1997-2001.

Speaking of feeling old, 2 fun facts I learned today:

1. In the original Back to the Future, Marty travels from modern 1985 to old fashioned 1955. If the movie was remade today, Marty would travel all the way back to the simple days of... 1982!

2. If The Wonder Years was remade today, and the time difference was the same, it would be set in 1992! Right after the Iraq War (equivalent to Korea).

:wallbash: