More talk of Manning in Miami

Amstel

The bottom line, and I know it's been said but it bears repeating, is this: there is a huge difference between being cleared to practice and being able to play. Manning has only been cleared to practice because his neck is healed, according to his doctor's opinion. When he'll be able to play to the level he used to is anyone's guess.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The bottom line, and I know it's been said but it bears repeating, is this: there is a huge difference between being cleared to practice and being able to play. Manning has only been cleared to practice because his neck is healed, according to his doctor's opinion. When he'll be able to play to the level he used to is anyone's guess.

Essentially what I gather is he's safe to take a hit but if he will be effective is a whole different question.

Yes, but who is saying he hasn't been able to regenerate his nerves? His surgeoon says he can play.Did his doctors mention he will not have nerve regeneration? Did they mention anything at all about his arm strngth and accuracy? Where is all the worry about nerve regeneration coming from? If his doctor cleared him medically, that means he's capable of playing. Would his doctors clear him if they didn't think he was going to have good results? Clearly they would have told him there are reservations if they felt that way. Unless what Payton is telling people is not exactly what his doctors told him. But I doubt it.

Let me make this real easy for you, because I see you're having trouble. The doctors have cleared him to play football. Meaning, they inspected his neck and have said there is no medical reason (regarding the fusion) that he can't play.

That, however, doesn't mean he CAN actually play football. You see, he also had nerve damage, which means he doesn't have the strength, stamina, or touch to throw the football in an NFL game setting.

In other words, he has been cleared to take a hit but can't yet throw a football like he needs to.

Now, if you want to break a story on how nerve regeneration isn't an issue, then props to you. Maybe the NFL Network will offer you a job. Otherwise, you've either been ignoring every story on Peyton's rehabilitation or you live under a rock.

Edited by BEAST MODE BABY!

SELFISH....SELFISH.....SELFISH !!!

if Peyton had the "class" that everyone says he does......then why doesn't he simply refuse to talk about or be interviewed at all this week? especially about anything to do with him and his career.

because he is a SELFISH...me, me, me guy, just like the rest of them.

why can't he simply say.....i will be available next week to answer all your questions.

he's taking the shine from his own brother.....my goodness.

i think it's dispicable.

Indeed, no class whatsoever. Hardly surprising though, when you look back on all the teammates he has thrown under the bus... trying to pass the buck after his post-season failures. That's why today's game is so outstanding, either Brady further separates from him, or Eli passes him. It is a LOSE-LOSE for P-Gump, :thumbsup:

Indeed, no class whatsoever. Hardly surprising though, when you look back on all the teammates he has thrown under the bus... trying to pass the buck after his post-season failures. That's why today's game is so outstanding, either Brady further separates from him, or Eli passes him. It is a LOSE-LOSE for P-Gump, :thumbsup:

Rico: I have to ask -- why the hate for Peyton Manning? I've got no beef with the guy, and he's obviously a great player. You've been on his case for a decade or so.

Rico: I have to ask -- why the hate for Peyton Manning? I've got no beef with the guy, and he's obviously a great player. You've been on his case for a decade or so.

Many of the same reasons why I don't like Marino either. When judging players (especially QBs), I put a very high emphasis on what they do in the post-season moreso than what they do in the regular season. And it irks me to see these 2 listed at the the very top of all-time lists when their play dramatically drops off in the biggest games. Adding to this, I do not like the Dolphins at all, and I do not like the Colts after Indy stole them away. :thumbdown:

I had similar disdain for Elway and Eli until they decidedly proved me wrong, :thumbsup:

Edited by Rico

Many of the same reasons why I don't like Marino either. When judging players (especially QBs), I put a very high emphasis on what they do in the post-season moreso than what they do in the regular season. And it irks me to see these 2 listed at the the very top of all-time lists when their play dramatically drops off in the biggest games. Adding to this, I do not like the Dolphins at all, and I do not like the Colts after Indy stole them away. :thumbdown:

I had similar disdain for Elway and Eli until they decidedly proved me wrong, :thumbsup:

Fair enough, but Peyton did win a SB MVP after dissecting a very good Bears defense (3rd in points allowed; 5th in yards) Plus the Bears were 13-3 and second overall in points scored. ... That victory--and the Colts' epic comeback the game before against NE (38-34)--counts, right?

Fair enough, but Peyton did win a SB MVP after dissecting a very good Bears defense (3rd in points allowed; 5th in yards) Plus the Bears were 13-3 and second overall in points scored. ... That victory--and the Colts' epic comeback the game before against NE (38-34)--counts, right?

I do give him credit for the AFC comeback, that was very impressive (and also very costly to me :( ), As for the SB, I don't think he was MVP at all, and I think that Bears team was one of the weakest to make it there in a long time, why couldn't the Bills have gotten that kind of match-up in the 90's? :censored: He does have a ring though which I can't take away from him, but it doesn't make up for all of his failures, at least not in my eyes. Great regular season QB, but not close to the best all-time.

I do give him credit for the AFC comeback, that was very impressive (and also very costly to me :( ), As for the SB, I don't think he was MVP at all, and I think that Bears team was one of the weakest to make it there in a long time, why couldn't the Bills have gotten that kind of match-up in the 90's? :censored: He does have a ring though which I can't take away from him, but it doesn't make up for all of his failures, at least not in my eyes. Great regular season QB, but not close to the best all-time.

I see your point, but as for his performance in that SB, I thought it was phenomenal. Remember, he basically called all the plays, and his decision making about when to run the ball was spot on all game. They ran for nearly 200 yards. I felt like the Bears never knew what was coming. It reminded me of one of Kelly's all time great performances - against the Chiefs in the 1993 championship game. He didn't throw any TDs, although he made numerous good throws. More importantly, he knew when to hand it off to Thurman and where to send him. Thomas had the game of his life - 186 yards rushing in an AFC championship game.

The one thing you've gotta give Manning credit for is that he really is his own OC, basically.

PS - the true SB in 2006 was the Colts/Pats game, and Indy won it. Props where props are due.

Edited by dave mcbride

If you want to talk about an all-time clutch choker, look no further than Indy's old #88. As much as he piled up stats in the regular season, he completely disappeared come post-season, and was a big reason why Indy's offense was often neutered in the playoffs. In 16 post season games, the supposed "#1" WR went for a mediocre 65-883-2. His only 2 TDs came in a WC blowout, and he only had 2 games with more than 63 yards receiving. In 10 of his 16 games, he was held to under 50 yards. So much for a big time WR.

It'll piss me off to no end if that murderer makes the HOF while Reed has to sit home.

Manning is done. Take this for what it is worth but I have pretty good source inside the colts organization that has told me this weekend that Manning is never going to play again. Irsay & Manning will be sitting down this week to discuss how to exit this relationship with dignity & class.

Manning is done. Take this for what it is worth but I have pretty good source inside the colts organization that has told me this weekend that Manning is never going to play again. Irsay & Manning will be sitting down this week to discuss how to exit this relationship with dignity & class.

I think that twitter threw dignity and class out the window but I believe you about Peyton being done, and it is a shame. Can you also ask your source if the Colts tanked the season on purpose, like I think that they did, to get in a position to draft Luck.

Let me make this real easy for you, because I see you're having trouble. The doctors have cleared him to play football. Meaning, they inspected his neck and have said there is no medical reason (regarding the fusion) that he can't play.

That, however, doesn't mean he CAN actually play football. You see, he also had nerve damage, which means he doesn't have the strength, stamina, or touch to throw the football in an NFL game setting.

In other words, he has been cleared to take a hit but can't yet throw a football like he needs to.

Now, if you want to break a story on how nerve regeneration isn't an issue, then props to you. Maybe the NFL Network will offer you a job. Otherwise, you've either been ignoring every story on Peyton's rehabilitation or you live under a rock.

My rock is heavy.....http://seattle.sbnation.com/seattle-seahawks/2012/2/5/2773511/peyton-manning-injury-update-manning-will-play-in-2012-colts-seahawks

He is medically cleared to play, meaning, there is no medical reason he cannot play. This is much different than being able to play. Manning had serious nerve damage resulting from a neck injury and what sounds to me like at least one botched operation. He does not have complete feeling in his right arm. How bad the numbness is I don' t know, but this would seem to be a serious problem for a right handed QB! Don't you think? He could very well be done, certainly never the same.

I don't remember a big hit on Peyton that caused the injury. Or is this a repetitive motion type injury?

My rock is heavy.....http://seattle.sbnation.com/seattle-seahawks/2012/2/5/2773511/peyton-manning-injury-update-manning-will-play-in-2012-colts-seahawks

I see you're still a little slow on the uptake. Either that, or you're one of those people who thinks the Earth is still flat. And I never said Manning wouldn't play again.

http://blogs.indystar.com/philb/2012/02/02/manning-doctor-statement-what-was-wasnt-said/

First things first, this does not mean Manning is 100 percent. This is the spine doctor saying he’s done his job, the spine is sound, and in his opinion Manning is physically capable of playing based on the area of concern that was corrected.

What the release didn’t specify, nor anybody has said, is how Manning’s damaged nerve in that neck has regenerated. From all accounts, be it what Manning hasn’t said, what owner Jim Irsay has suggested, what this release didn’t get into, that nerve still has a ways to go.

Edited by BEAST MODE BABY!

Unamed NFL sources told a Miami reporter Miami is on the short list of places Manning would like to play. He and his wife own a place there and reportedly would like to live there......

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/04/more-talk-of-peyton-manning-in-miami/

I heard Peyton is looking for waterfront in Angola and he wants to play for the Bills......

I think that twitter threw dignity and class out the window but I believe you about Peyton being done, and it is a shame. Can you also ask your source if the Colts tanked the season on purpose, like I think that they did, to get in a position to draft Luck.

Ya those guys like polian and Caldwell obviously tanked the season to make it easier for the next guy that takes their job :rolleyes: