Does Buffalo have a draft plan B?

Since Chan's announcement that the Bills will use the 43 defense, most fans are now discounting the possibility that the team will draft Upshaw or Ingram. Many are saying that Coples is now the target. Many mock drafts, however, have Coples going to Jacksonville at #7. So, if Coples is not there when Buffalo picks, as is likely the case, who does Buffalo pick.

Some of you like Mercilus. Stat wise, he had a great year. But Mercilus is a one year starter. One year wonders are risky and most mock drafts have Mercilus going no earlier than #20.

Some of you like Nick Perry. Perry had three productive years at SC but he is considered somewhat undersized at DE and most mocks have him as a late first, early second round pick.

Based on the above, Mercilus and Perry would be "reaches" at #10. What does Buffalo do if there is no DE having a #10 value when the team picks at 10? Do we have a plan B?

My guess is they will be drafting BPA based in needs so if Coples is why they want they probably hbe another guy they are looking at regardless of position. If the DE they want is gone I'd expect them to go with OL, or WR.

i can see them possibly taking a corner , i believe there are two "cant miss" types..but i agree, BPA..

Edited by dwight in philly

Since Chan's announcement that the Bills will use the 43 defense, most fans are now discounting the possibility that the team will draft Upshaw or Ingram. Many are saying that Coples is now the target. Many mock drafts, however, have Coples going to Jacksonville at #7. So, if Coples is not there when Buffalo picks, as is likely the case, who does Buffalo pick.

Some of you like Mercilus. Stat wise, he had a great year. But Mercilus is a one year starter. One year wonders are risky and most mock drafts have Mercilus going no earlier than #20.

Some of you like Nick Perry. Perry had three productive years at SC but he is considered somewhat undersized at DE and most mocks have him as a late first, early second round pick.

Based on the above, Mercilus and Perry would be "reaches" at #10. What does Buffalo do if there is no DE having a #10 value when the team picks at 10? Do we have a plan B?

I'd go with one of the "franchise" OT's that will be available, and then draft Curry in the 2nd. Chandler Jones in the 3rd or trade back into the 2nd to get him.

A couple things to think about with Perry & Upshaw (I don't think Coples makes it to 10 with all the Sr. Bowl hype he's getting).

Perry is a bit undersized for a DE in, but so is Robert Mathis, and this kid fits that mold. Also, I'm not sure he couldn't make the transition to a 43 OLB. He's the right size and as the right speed, the learning curve is with coverage. All it takes is an excellent combine & pro day and you have yourself an early day 1 pick.

Upshaw seems to be prototypical size for a 43 DE & his lack of a natural position might make a team, like the Bills, think about it anyway. He played a lot in a 2 & 3 pt stance, so...I think he may still be an option.

Upshaw seems to be prototypical size for a 43 DE & his lack of a natural position might make a team, like the Bills, think about it anyway. He played a lot in a 2 & 3 pt stance, so...I think he may still be an option.

His weight is fine, but his lack of height and short arms make him more of a natural OLB.

I bet the Bills dont even know theres a draft! Ralph is so cheap

Great response.

To the OP, I don't mean to be rude but this is really an idiotic question. YES the Bills have a plan B. Every NFL team runs through hundreds and hundreds of scenarios as they plan for the draft and Free agency. Only morons on a message board identify one prospect and claim that we are doomed if that guy is not the Bills' pick.

Lets wait and see what Mercilus and Perry look like at the combine.. If Mercilus works out like the beast he seems to be, I'd love to have him on the bills at any spot in the draft

9 forced fumbles last year!

Edited by Billsrhody

Great response.

To the OP, I don't mean to be rude but this is really an idiotic question. YES the Bills have a plan B. Every NFL team runs through hundreds and hundreds of scenarios as they plan for the draft and Free agency. Only morons on a message board identify one prospect and claim that we are doomed if that guy is not the Bills' pick.

Nah, I'm pretty sure the Bills' looks like this:

First Round Grades

1. Quinton Coples

2. ???

Second Round Grades

Great response.

Intentionally or not, your response is rude. My question was meant to be rhetorical. I was hoping to get responses regarding where the Bills would go if Coples is not available; i.e, which positions would they target, which players might they select. Everyone responding so far seems to have understood, except, of course, you.

Intentionally or not, your response is rude. My question was meant to be rhetorical. I was hoping to get responses regarding where the Bills would go if Coples is not available; i.e, which positions would they target, which players might they select. Everyone responding so far seems to have understood, except, of course, you.

But no one knows where they will go with Plan A, let alone plan B, everything right now is just speculation based on the fans perceived notions of what they want to see. Right now its not even remotly clear that the Bills would chose Coples if he was there when they pick

But no one knows where they will go with Plan A, let alone plan B, everything right now is just speculation based on the fans perceived notions of what they want to see. Right now its not even remotly clear that the Bills would chose Coples if he was there when they pick

Well some of it is educated guesses. :nana:

My guess is they will be drafting BPA based in needs so if Coples is why they want they probably hbe another guy they are looking at regardless of position. If the DE they want is gone I'd expect them to go with OL, or WR.

Seriously right.

What unit on this team could not in reality use a 1st or 2nd round pick?

Did you just reason with a mad dog? :nana: