1st Generation iPod Nano Owners

ajzepp

I was told about this the other day on Audio Circle, and surprisingly enough my iPod qualified. If you happen to have a 1st generation nano, Apple is in the process of replacing them at no charge for brand new generation 6 models. Apparently the batteries in the 1Gs become more unstable with time.

Here is the link if anyone is interested:

http://www.apple.com/support/ipodnano_replacement/

Awesome. I have an old one that "died" a while ago and it qualifies. Hooray for me!

Nice! I figured this wouldn't get a huge response, but if one or two of my fellow TBD'ers qualified for it it was worth the time to share it :)

The new nanos are like $130, so that's pretty generous of Apple IMO. Apparently they've had many more returned than they thought were out there, which is why they are just sending us new ones instead of refurbs. Hopefully we'll both have new nanos in the next morth or two! :D

same here, old 1 that died, thanks!

Alright! That's two...very cool :)

I don't know if you guys have been reading through any of the posts on the apple forum (you can link to it from the replacement info), but I cannot BELIEVE how ungrateful some of these people are. I like my little 1G nano, and I even like the looks of it better than then new one...but I will GLADLY take them up on this. The newer one has like 4x the capacity, a touch screen, and they're even giving us a few months of warranty coverage to boot. On top of that, it's apparently a very rare issue, and nobody is forcing them to send their 1G's back...lol :rolleyes:

For the inventive, one could go on ebay, amazon or such and buy one for ~$40-$50 and get one a new one with a $129 msrp. Just sayin'.

:lol:

I did the replacement back in November when it first started. At the time, they were replacing the old nanos with a refurbished old one, but a few weeks after shipping my 8 year old, 2gb hdd nano, I got a brand new, 8gb ssd nano. Non apple people will say what they want negative about the company, but apple definitely took care of its customers with this one.

I did the replacement back in November when it first started. At the time, they were replacing the old nanos with a refurbished old one, but a few weeks after shipping my 8 year old, 2gb hdd nano, I got a brand new, 8gb ssd nano. Non apple people will say what they want negative about the company, but apple definitely took care of its customers with this one.

That is so awesome. You're exactly right, this is a perfect example of haters being haters. To to this sort of thing for a CE product that is 6+ years old, far beyond the lifespan of many CE products, is fantastic customer service. And I'm sure that the motivation for it was a liability issue more than anything else, but the way in which they are solving the problem is where the customer service element comes into play. The part that kills me is that even though it clearly says it takes about six weeks for the turnaround, people were complaining because they weren't getting theirs back in four weeks like a few others had. I just don't get it...

It's funny cause this week I found out that my company reimburses us for our license renewal fees, and I had no idea they did that. I told the site director how much I appreciated that generosity, because of the several places I've worked since graduating in 2001 with my professional degree, I have NEVER heard of a company doing that. But sure enough, several of my colleagues took a very cynical approach saying the company was trying to lock us in by doing that, or that there was some ulterior motive in the gesture. All of this was unfounded of course, and all it really did was serve to embarrass a few of us who appreciated it from the minute we found out.

Oh well...life goes on!

I'm glad to hear you got yours back, Corp! Did you get a good color? I heard they were sending out mostly the gray ones, is that what you got?

Amazon?? Boy you're not very inventive. How about Craig's List for $15

Well, I did write "or such".... Gotta be careful in getting the model that qualifies.

And just to note, I'm not doing this myself. Just saying that it could be done.

I'm rockin' a cheapo 4GB Emerson MP3 player I got for X-mas. (Hey, at least it's not a Zune! :rolleyes: )

If you happen to have a 1st generation nano, Apple is in the process of replacing them at no charge for brand new generation 6 models.

http://www.apple.com/support/ipodnano_replacement/

I got my replacement. My old Nano was a4GB,and a refurb that I paid 50 bucks for! I can't believe how awesome the replacement is! I bought a watchband for it ,and use it as a watch as well...

I got my replacement. My old Nano was a4GB,and a refurb that I paid 50 bucks for! I can't believe how awesome the replacement is! I bought a watchband for it ,and use it as a watch as well...

I saw those watch band things last night...those are pretty cool! How do you like the new version of the nano?

I'm glad to hear you got yours back, Corp! Did you get a good color? I heard they were sending out mostly the gray ones, is that what you got?

My old one was black and the new one is aluminum to match my ipad and macbook. It looks really cool.

My old one was black and the new one is aluminum to match my ipad and macbook. It looks really cool.

Nice, I can't wait!

I shamefully admit I have no idea what a ipod nano is. Of any generation.

I'm afraid to ask what form of media you use for music lol

For the inventive, one could go on ebay, amazon or such and buy one for ~$40-$50 and get one a new one with a $129 msrp. Just sayin'.

Amazon?? Boy you're not very inventive. How about Craig's List for $15

Checked my local CL, none of the 1st gen listed for sale, one person posted a wanted ad looking for them.

Checked my local CL, none of the 1st gen listed for sale, one person posted a wanted ad looking for them.

:lol: Probably someone who is related to James

:devil: I call shenanagans on this one

APPLE create an inferior product that has a flaw/breaks down over time? Blasphemy! Apple is perfection! :devil:

Actually it was the battery supplier. Apple is still perfect :P