have you relocated away from buffalo ?

drinkTHEkoolaid

I didn't know Toledo had upper-middleclass burbs. No offense, but from my experience going to or driving through Toledo, it feels like the armpit of Ohio, even beating out Youngstown for that honor, imo.

perhaps it is best put as communities in the burbs. Ottawa Hills is probably considered the most exclusive, the old west end is pretty nice, Sylvania, Perrysburg both have their own little parts that are better then just middle class. From Ann Arbor, take 23 South and Sylvania is the first exit. While not much around the exit if you drive West you will find many nice communities. Perrysburg is down 75/23 before Bowling Green.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a friend who is selling their house in WNY. It's listed for $199,900 and the property taxes are $5,600. Holy crap.

My house is appraised in Lancaster @ $228,000 & I pay $6,800 in taxes. It is a fuggin joke property taxes in WNY.

Edited by Gordio

Growing area that is very nice is the Concord and Mooresville area in NC. Also, the Lake Norman area. It is small enough to be comfortable, great climate and atomosphere with Charlotte nearby.

Iredell County (Mooresville) taxes are among the lowest in the state. Perfect location for the OP if traffic is not a concern.

Thanks for not mentioning Huntersville -- I'm on a mission to keep intruders like me out. It's not working.

My house is appraised in Lancaster @ $228,000 & I pay $6,800 in taxes. It is a fuggin joke property taxes in WNY.

but, your house would prolly be worth $450,000 in Richmond, $700,000 in DC..and the costs to educates kids pretty much the same everywhere

Just a note on behalf of the people commenting from California: if one of the primary reasons you want to leave WNY is because of high taxes and high costs, do not...I repeat, DO NOT...move to California. People are leaving this state in droves for the exact reason you want to leave WNY. Do not be fooled by warm weather, sunny beaches, chicks in bikinis, Hollywood living, wine country or the oft-mentioned-but-rarely-executed "I can ski in the morning and swim in the afternoon" jibberish. California has legislated itself into a total schitthole of high taxes to pay for stupid stuff that makes no sense and is impossible to rationally justify.

but, your house would prolly be worth $450,000 in Richmond, $700,000 in DC..and the costs to educates kids pretty much the same everywhere

I know I am not complaining. My wife is from WNY, I am from here, both our families are here, the school districts are very good. I have a pretty good job here. I like it here for the most part, paying these taxes just gets discouraging sometimes.

I know I am not complaining. My wife is from WNY, I am from here, both our families are here, the school districts are very good. I have a pretty good job here. I like it here for the most part, paying these taxes just gets discouraging sometimes.

Yeah but, for that money, I'll bet they plow your driveway, thank you for living in Lancaster, AND call you MRGordio.

When I lived in Seattle, King aka(CHA-CHING) County sent the property tax bills out on Feb. 14th every year. That was a nice touch too! :angry:

Yes... and why I hate pissing my money away in NY on taxes and other crap that is ridiculous and just contributes to a cost of living that is way higher than it should be. I could get so much more house for the money while paying less taxes elsewhere. NY just wears on me with everything costing more than it should, school taxes, property taxes, sales tax, state income tax, vehicle registrations/inspections, gas prices, utility prices, toll roads (thruway and grand island bridges) just to go places, etc..etc.. etc..

So it seems like there is a lot of love for the Columbus OH and Richmond VA regions? I would have never thought to include Columbus on my list but after such strong feedback I will investigate it.

Does OH have state income tax? what is the sales tax in Columbus?What are property taxes like in the area?

How are property taxes in Central VA ? Does VA have state income tax? what is the sales tax?

anyone here in Tennessee ? either Nashville or Knoxville areas with any input?

what are more "suburb/exurb" areas in NC either near Charolotte or Raleigh that are not too far of a commute? what are their property taxes like?

So far I really appreciate everyone's input and advice, it is very helpful. (and yes I'm not at all interested in Cali as their taxes are worse than what I'm trying to flee NY for) but I digress, feel free to tell your relocation sotries and advice from anywhere you have moved!

I moved from Buffalo to tallahassee back in '03 to come here for grad school. Its a great place to go for a few years while you're in school, but there's nothing after that, hence the reason i'm trying like hell to get out.

Yes... and why I hate pissing my money away in NY on taxes and other crap that is ridiculous and just contributes to a cost of living that is way higher than it should be. I could get so much more house for the money while paying less taxes elsewhere. NY just wears on me with everything costing more than it should, school taxes, property taxes, sales tax, state income tax, vehicle registrations/inspections, gas prices, utility prices, toll roads (thruway and grand island bridges) just to go places, etc..etc.. etc..

So it seems like there is a lot of love for the Columbus OH and Richmond VA regions? I would have never thought to include Columbus on my list but after such strong feedback I will investigate it.

Does OH have state income tax? what is the sales tax in Columbus?What are property taxes like in the area?

How are property taxes in Central VA ? Does VA have state income tax? what is the sales tax?

anyone here in Tennessee ? either Nashville or Knoxville areas with any input?

what are more "suburb/exurb" areas in NC either near Charolotte or Raleigh that are not too far of a commute? what are their property taxes like?

So far I really appreciate everyone's input and advice, it is very helpful. (and yes I'm not at all interested in Cali as their taxes are worse than what I'm trying to flee NY for) but I digress, feel free to tell your relocation sotries and advice from anywhere you have moved!

i live fairly close to knoxville and spent many good weekends in nashville. both great towns and relatively inexpensive. tenn taxes are low. both have a university town feel to them (ut in knoxville and the vandy area of nashville) so while you won't hear much about gun control both are a bit more progressive than many southern towns. i love asheville but it's got a rather bohemian feel and is getting a bit too popular and crowded. i'd take a look at northeast tennessee/ southwest virginia. this would include chattanooga, johnson city, kingsport,bristol areas. all seem to meet the criteria you mention and are great family towns with plenty to do. stray too rural however and you'll understand the cariacature you see on "justified" (but also appreciate the beautiful scenery). nashville's quite a bit further away from buffalo than you wanted. i personally wouldn't consider northern virginia. just too congested for me and high cost of living. only visited richmond a couple times and it seems nice but can get really hot from what i've been told. also seems pretty old south to me. virginia taxes are higher than tenn but not bad. i'd look at roanoke and charlottesville there although the latter is a bit pricey in some parts. remember in any of these places that you're likely in for a culture shock. it'll take time to acclimate and make friends. more so the further south you go.

Does OH have state income tax? what is the sales tax in Columbus? What are property taxes like in the area?

Yes - OH does have an income tax. And, Columbus and certain communities around it have one as well. For instance, I live in the county (Delaware) directly adjacent to the county (Franklin) that Columbus is in. I have to pay an income tax to Columbus as that is where I work. FYI - school funding is becoming a big issue here (much like just about anywhere else).

So it seems like there is a lot of love for the Columbus OH and Richmond VA regions?

State income tax: income > $17,000, tax is $720+5.75% of the amount over $17,000

VA Tax & Cost of Living calculator

Sales tax is 4.5% but some localities (cities/counties) can add to this for meals, etc.

Property taxes in Central VA (per $100 of assessed value)

City of Richmond: $1.20

Chesterfield County: .95

Henrico County: .87

Hanover County: .81 (where I live; example for a 400,000 home is 3,240 in property taxes - compare to "$228,000 & I pay $6,800 in taxes")

I like certain areas in the City of Richmond (the Fan) but I probably would not live there while raising a family unless I sent them to private school. Chesterfield is a booming area but as I mentioned earlier, I picked Ashland in Hanover County because I wanted us to be able to walk to places (Town hall, restaurants, train station, parks, stores, library, etc). I did not want to get into a car to go everywhere. That may not be important to many people so it would open up more of Central VA.

Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions.

Someone mentioned Charlottesville & Roanoke. Both good recommendations but C'ville can get pricy.

Edited by Mr Info

I'll vote for East Tennessee. No income tax, great medical facilities, four seasons, and you can golf here in Johnson City and Drive to Boone NC and ski on the same day. salaries are good, employment is better than average, good schools, great outdoors town with Blue Ridge and Smokey Mountains. Not far from UT and Virginia Tech football, Asheville NC about an hour away and Knoxville an hour and a half. I moved away for the job and have never regretted it.

and you can golf here in Johnson City and Drive to Boone NC and ski on the same day

have you ever done this? i did once..golf was a little chilly and snow a little slushy (late march) but i did it just so i could say i had. no winter this year to speak of...haven't skied Sugar once...killer year for them. hope they stay in business.

Have a BA and currently work in logistics. My wife works and have kids. I'm close to my parents but its possible depending where I move they would consider moving as well.

After thinking about it more I'm coming up with a better idea of what I'm looking for.

Ideally no more than a 10-12 hour drive to buffalo

LOW taxes. Low or no state income tax. Low property tax. Lower cost of living

Interested in the mid south states NC. TN. KY VA or maybe even OH .

looking for a small town feel to medium sized city

Interested in areas where you can have a neighborhood type feel in more country area while not being too far of commute to a city

looking for a "red" state with accessible pistol permits more individual freedoms lower taxes etc...

So far everyone has great feedback and comments and its appreciated

I'd recommend Manchester NH, where I live. No state or income taxes. (But property and car reg. taxes that'll blow your socks off.) Easy gun laws. Lots of GOP with generous sprinkling Libertarians, but not many Tea Partiers. Reasonable real estate (not cheap like Buffalo but reasonable.) Manchester itself is a nice up-and-coming city. Just one hour from downtown Boston. We have our own AHL hockey and Double-A baseball teams. City itself is just over 100K. Big enough to have the stuff you need: shopping, decent restaurants, night clubs, an airport with good connections (incl. Southwest service).

Some useful info.

PTR

I'd recommend Manchester NH, where I live. No state or income taxes. (But property and car reg. taxes that'll blow your socks off.) Easy gun laws. Lots of GOP with generous sprinkling Libertarians, but not many Tea Partiers. Reasonable real estate (not cheap like Buffalo but reasonable.) Manchester itself is a nice up-and-coming city. Just one hour from downtown Boston. We have our own AHL hockey and Double-A baseball teams. City itself is just over 100K. Big enough to have the stuff you need: shopping, decent restaurants, night clubs, an airport with good connections (incl. Southwest service).

Some useful info.

PTR

I have a friend who lives in Mt Sunapee and he loves it. Not sure if that's anywhere near you, but given the size of that state I figure it can't be TOO damn far

I have a friend who lives in Mt Sunapee and he loves it. Not sure if that's anywhere near you, but given the size of that state I figure it can't be TOO damn far

An hour and 15 away. God's country. Skiing in the winter, sailing the lake in summer, the colors in fall. If you love the outdoors this is the state for you.

PTR

An hour and 15 away. God's country. Skiing in the winter, sailing the lake in summer, the colors in fall. If you love the outdoors this is the state for you.

PTR

yep, that is exactly him. If it's not the kayak it's the mountain bike, if not that then he's out skiing or fishing, etc, etc...it's the perfect place for him and I can definitely understand the appeal