Sr. Bowl talk, how does it affect the Bills draft?

Pad work is finished for Senior Bowl practices. A lot has been said about the South team's defensive line and, in particular, it's pass rush. Mayock and the boys feel that the South's defense will dominate the game on Saturday.

All of the talk has been about Courtney Upshaw, Melvin Ingram, and Quinton Coples. All have shown they can rush the passer. But a lot of talk regarding Upshaw and Ingram has been about their lack of height and the fact they are "tweeners". Mayock says that they are so good that you have to find a place for them on your team. This is a troublesome comment in my view. It means they are not 43 DEs and and may not be 43 OLBs. They may be 34 OLB's but there is a question about whether than can cover. Their strength seems to be pass rush and run stopping. Are they two down OLBs in a 34? So how and where does a coach play them and should Buffalo select one of them at #10 if the position they would play is rather obscure at the moment and Buffalo may be moving to the 43?

Buffalo might decide to avoid the problem of where to play them and, instead, select Coples who is, without a doubt a 43 DE who can also play DT in the 43. Coples has been good in practices UNTIL he met OG Cordy Glenn who successfully stoned his rush. Glenn has been a surprise. At 6'5" and 345 lbs., he was considered to be strictly a Guard. But his work in one on ones against Coples indicates he can play tackle and maybe even LT. Is he another Jason Peters?

So...Upshaw and Ingram are tweeners with a not yet well defined pro position. Coples can play DE but could not beat a large guard with his pass rush.

Could it be that the smart move for Buffalo would be to select....Glenn?

Edited by Beerball
Title edited for clarity

I read that Miami is going to a 4-3, so they may pick a defensive guy we're targeting. Glenn just might be our pick.

Glenn ain't going in the first. Calling it right now. And if Nix takes him at ten, he should be beat till he's sorry.(Not Glenn , Nix)

Edited by mob16151

it is going to be interesting , Buddy has said in the pass that he likes him linbackers taller then 6/2 so you wonder what he thinks on ingram or upshaw. Coples could be the man but it so early, There still is a chance they fill at elast one need in free agency .

it is going to be interesting , Buddy has said in the pass that he likes him linbackers taller then 6/2 so you wonder what he thinks on ingram or upshaw. Coples could be the man but it so early, There still is a chance they fill at elast one need in free agency .

Coples got completely crushed in the qtr and 1/2 of the Sr bowl i saw. Looked bad.

Coples is talented but poor effort and attitude take him off my draft board in buffalo. With the losing culture and mentality that has plagued this organization the last thing we need is a guy who when things are going bad just becomes a paycheck collector. That is my fear with coples. We need fighters and leaders and coples is not that.