Ryan Tannehill

Maddog69

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is exactly what we should do, we can get defense latter.

we did draft almost exclusively on Defense last year and look how well that turned out.

Just kidding. It takes time for picks to develop most of the time. We have a lot of young draftees who are still developing. How many more should we pick and how quickly should we give up on the ones picked? I think we need to let the guys we have develop and we need to fill the rest of the holes with FA's. If we can get a stud DE or LB in Rd1, great. But I am less thasn convinced than anyone we pick is going to come in immediately and have a big impact.

I think this is the main difference between Fans and NFL Decisiion makers. Fans look at the draft as a means to fill immediate holes whereas NFL Execs look at it as a means for selecting the players they feel will have the best, most productive careers over the long term.

I think what you are suggesting is very short sighted. We should be looking at the draft as a means to build a perpetually competitive team not just a means of filling next years roster.

While a lot of what you said may be true. Nix is not a visionary. For him and most likely gailey this is the end of the NFL ride. They will not draft a quarterback in the first. They are happy as evidenced by their comments on the back up they pay almost 9 million per year. They won't be around long enough to see the results of a high draft pick quarterback. They need defense and they know it. That first round pick will start day one this season.

we did draft almost exclusively on Defense last year and look how well that turned out.

Just kidding. It takes time for picks to develop most of the time. We have a lot of young draftees who are still developing. How many more should we pick and how quickly should we give up on the ones picked? I think we need to let the guys we have develop and we need to fill the rest of the holes with FA's. If we can get a stud DE or LB in Rd1, great. But I am less thasn convinced than anyone we pick is going to come in immediately and have a big impact.

Yep, plus there are good pass rushers later and we really should make a push for Marrio Williams.

He is more like this year's Christian Ponder. A good prospect that was taken very early.

Gaine Blabbert was crap before and after the draft. Blabbert was more just draft-boy hype than substance. The Jags aren't known as great talent evaluators. I'm just glad the Bills were smart enough to stay away from that turd.

Tannehill is a different story, there is something raw there like Ponder with a higher ceiling.

Why are you assuming that Gabbert is a failurue? He was a rookie qb on a bad team. Doesn't it make sense to wait a year or two and then make a judgment on him? Drew Brees is one of the best qbs in the game. Success didn't come to him until after his first few years. Rodgers is at this time arguably the best qb in the game. He didn't get on the field until his third or fourth year. Peyton Manning started right away. In his first year he got battered. The qb for the 49ers, Smith, was on the verge of being tossed out of the league based on his performances in his first few years. But after a new HC arrived and with an upgraded team he improved to being a respectable qb.

My point is simply that after one year it is premature to make a fair judgment on a young qb. In another year or two, if not longer, remember Kurt Warner who has a good chance of entering the HOF and who was a late bloomer, one will be in a better position to make a more definitive judgment about Gabbert or any other young qb.

Edited by JohnC

Fitz isn't a franchise QB. A team without a franchise QB will, on average, win a Super Bowl once every 250 years. A team with a franchise QB will on average win a Super Bowl once every nine years.

Uh....according to your "math" most years no team wins the Super Bowl. :blink::oops::wallbash:

Ryan Tannehill is 2012'a Blaine Gabbert. Moved way up after several top tier guys didn't enter the draft. I would not be happy with this pick.

Not hardly, he played in a pro style offense under Mike Sherman not a spread and Gabbert needs a few more years before he is a bust or not, Alex smith turned it around this year and it just shows what good coaching can do.

Tannehill is a smart kid, but he is prone to making terrible decisions on the field. He threw a lot of key and dumb interceptions this year. Yes, he put up big numbers in the Big 12, but honestly, all QBs put up big numbers in the Big 12. This guy is not a top 10 prospect, let alone a first round prospect. Let another team reach for Tannehill, one that doesn't have as many holes to fill. There are plenty of project QBs in this draft. Let's not waste our first pick speculating on a guy that finished 7-6 on a greatly underachieving team, much of its failure falling on Tannehill's shoulders. Believe me, no one (maybe one other A&M grad) on this board watched more of his games than I did.

Edited by buffaloaggie

Why are you assuming that Gabbert is a failurue? He was a rookie qb on a bad team. Doesn't it make sense to wait a year or two and then make a judgment on him? Drew Brees is one of the best qbs in the game. Success didn't come to him until after his first few years. Rodgers is at this time arguably the best qb in the game. He didn't get on the field until his third or fourth year. Peyton Manning started right away. In his first year he got battered. The qb for the 49ers, Smith, was on the verge of being tossed out of the league based on his performances in his first few years. But after a new HC arrived and with an upgraded team he improved to being a respectable qb.

My point is simply that after one year it is premature to make a fair judgment on a young qb. In another year or two, if not longer, remember Kurt Warner who has a good change of entering the HOF and who was a late bloomer, one will be in a better position to make a more definitive judgment about Gabbert or any other young qb.

Heck I'd take Warner now, be a lot cheaper than Manning.

Tannehill is a smart kid, but he is prone to making terrible decisions on the field. He threw a lot of key and dumb interceptions this year. Yes, he put up big numbers in the Big 12, but honestly, all QBs put up big numbers in the Big 12. This guy is not a top 10 prospect, let alone a first round prospect. Let another team reach for Tannehill, one that doesn't have as many holes to fill. There are plenty of project QBs in this draft. Let's not waste out first pick speculating on a guy that finished 7-6 on a greatly underachieving team, much of its failure falling on Tannehill's shoulders. Believe me, no one (maybe one other A&M grad) on this board watched more of his games than I did.

So did Fitz and it earned him a huge extension

Tannehill is a smart kid, but he is prone to making terrible decisions on the field. He threw a lot of key and dumb interceptions this year. Yes, he put up big numbers in the Big 12, but honestly, all QBs put up big numbers in the Big 12. This guy is not a top 10 prospect, let alone a first round prospect. Let another team reach for Tannehill, one that doesn't have as many holes to fill. There are plenty of project QBs in this draft. Let's not waste out first pick speculating on a guy that finished 7-6 on a greatly underachieving team, much of its failure falling on Tannehill's shoulders. Believe me, no one (maybe one other A&M grad) on this board watched more of his games than I did.

That's what happens when you have to carry the Team, have no running game and no defense.

Ugh, if he goes in the top 10, I hope it's before 10.

Agreed with other saying he is another Gilbert/Ponder. No thanks.

Unless it's Luck or RG3, draft Defense.

What's wrong with Ponder? I thought he played pretty well as a rookie for a pathetic team. I was hoping we'd draft him last year in the second round but he never got that far.

Fitz isn't a franchise QB. A team without a franchise QB will, on average, win a Super Bowl once every 250 years. A team with a franchise QB will on average win a Super Bowl once every nine years.

Franchise QBs are almost impossible to obtain: a typical NFL team obtains a franchise QB once every 42 years. The four teams in the AFC East have each been around since around 1960. Between then and the present, the Bills have had one franchise QB (Kelly), the Jets one (Namath), the Patriots 1.5 (the first half of Bledsoe's career, plus Brady), and the Dolphins 2 (Griese and Marino). That's less than 1.5 franchise QBs per team over the last 50 years.

If you don't have a franchise QB, and if you have the chance to draft one, you do it. Period. There can be no possible question on that point. The only real question is whether Tannehill will or won't be a franchise QB.

Yes!

Not hardly, he played in a pro style offense under Mike Sherman not a spread and Gabbert needs a few more years before he is a bust or not, Alex smith turned it around this year and it just shows what good coaching can do.

Alex Smith while having the best year out of seven, put zero fear into opposing defenses for the most part this year. His passing stats are pedestrian at best. He was something like 4 for 8 in the first half Sunday. The announcers even commented on it. His season maybe just an anomaly. After watching him in the NFC championship is he the guy you would trust too take the Bills to the super bowl? Nope Not s single person in the bay area wearing niners gear this week. The injury report isn't an excuse either. All teams are playing with injured players. he rarely looked past his first reads Sunday. he was a big reason they lost. Your not going to hoist the Lombardi with quarterbacks like him or ours.

Edited by Best Player Available

What's wrong with Ponder? I thought he played pretty well as a rookie for a pathetic team. I was hoping we'd draft him last year in the second round but he never got that far.

Nothing is "wrong" with him necessarily. I just think we can do better. If you are looking to replace Fitz at the #10 overall, doing so with Gabbert/Ponder/Tannehill/etc isnt much of a step up, IMO.

If we are going to spend a top-10 pick on a QB, he better be a sure thing, franchise QB. We have too many big-need holes to fill and cant afford another miss in the 1st round.

Edited by DrDareustein

That's what happens when you have to carry the Team, have no running game and no defense.

No running game? They had one, and should have had two 1000 yard runners (Gray and Michael), if it hadn't been for injuries. Tannehill benefitted from a very balanced attack. In A&M's game against Texas and the bowl game against Northwestern, they had to go with their 3rd string RB exclusively, because another RB dropped from the team.

Tannehill actually regressed from the previous season. He played almost flawlessly in 2010, up until he faced LSU in the Cotton Bowl, when he threw 3 or 4 INTs. This year he had three games with three INTs.

So did Fitz and it earned him a huge extension

and the Bills would only compound that mistake by using their #1 on Tannehill, who would mirror Fitz's play.