Buddy loves versatility ( A Draft Discussion)

ryan42790

It's hard to argue they've got much versatility on defense with their current personnel as most are either 34 or 43 types. You look at guys like Merriman, Dwan Edwards, Carrington and Sheppard they're not offering much in the 43. Same goes for Kyle Williams with the 34, who's best served as a 1 or 3 tech in a 43. In terms of the front 7, the only guys I like moving back and forth are Dareus and Barnett.

A hybrid defense in Buffalo is nothing more than an inability to staff either with proper players. Listening to the press conference, Nix talks about having guys 6'4-5 255-260 to rush. He's looking for a Terrell Suggs type who can play with a hand in the ground or rush standing up. When you can't settle on a defense and aren't committed to one, it makes drafting and pro player moves a lot more difficult.

1327445511[/url]' post='2370323']

The most versatile players are the multi-position players where there is the LEAST dropoff at their second position. This does it for me: http://www.drafttek....BigBoardPg1.asp

Look down around 7-16 in Round 1, and these players have tons of dropoff at their second position, or have no second position (less versatile):

Devon Still (-59 point dropoff)

Fletcher Cox (-182)

Courtney Upshaw (OLB only)

These players can play 2 or more positions with little dropoff:

Luke Kuechly (weak ILB, strongside ILB)----but already have Sheppard

Quinton Coples (3-4 DE, 4-3 DE)

Zach Brown (OLB43, Weakside ILB)

Reilly Reiff (LOT, ROT)

Mike Adams (ROT, LOT)

I am not counting Michael Floyd, as there is no difference between a feature receiver and possession receiver.

Given Nix's penchant for versatility, players already drafted, his comments about O-Line being set, the possibility of a 4-3, and need for defensive pass rush, I'm moving toward Coples, maybe Brown, in RD1.

Read my comments in the next DraftTek mock, likely out by the end of the week.

I pray that you're wrong about Coples. Ugh.

It's hard to argue they've got much versatility on defense with their current personnel as most are either 34 or 43 types. You look at guys like Merriman, Dwan Edwards, Carrington and Sheppard they're not offering much in the 43. Same goes for Kyle Williams with the 34, who's best served as a 1 or 3 tech in a 43. In terms of the front 7, the only guys I like moving back and forth are Dareus and Barnett.

I agree with all this, even the part about williams. He was servicable in the 3-4, but he doesn't belong there. This defense is going to be a mess again this season, at least in the begining. I expect by mid season all the players that are strictly 3-4 will be cut or barely playing.

Whether you like him or not, Buddy Nix really isn't that hard of a person to read. Looking over the past 2 years as the GM, one thing Buddy loves is players who are very versatile. Whether it be the player can play in multiple positions, or multiple schemes, Buddy just seem to love those type players. Now looking into this years draft, I've been really thinking hard on what The Bills will do with a top 10 pick. I figured the best thing to do would be to pick the best player available, but that doesn't seem to be Buddy's style really, so the real thing to ask is, whose a believable draft pick (NO LUCK, OR RG3!!!) Is the most versatile? For that i think will be the pick the Bills will take.

Really? that's all Buddy talks about and is why he took Spiller when we DID NOT need him and he was a scat back making not versatile.

Melvin Ingram, the DE/OLB from USC would be a great pick IMO, he's got the versatility we look for.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

I pray that you're wrong about Coples. Ugh.

Can you give us your thoughts on Coples? From te limitted knowledge I have on him, dude's a beast. Too small for a NFL DT, but seems to be a force @ DE. Kid's got elite strength, a tremendous burst and an ability to drag down QB's & ball carriers while still engaged in a block...I'm finding it hard to punch holes in his game.

I agree with all this, even the part about williams. He was servicable in the 3-4, but he doesn't belong there. This defense is going to be a mess again this season, at least in the begining. I expect by mid season all the players that are strictly 3-4 will be cut or barely playing.

IF you are correct, I will be sorely disappointed. Both GB, the Texans, and other teams have shown it is quite possible to improve defensively while transitioning.

I do think we tried the worst possible route - a complex hybrid scheme that required more thought and situational "reads" to determine the correct role, when what would have worked better for our young players is to simplify and say "sic 'em".

Whether you like him or not, Buddy Nix really isn't that hard of a person to read. Looking over the past 2 years as the GM, one thing Buddy loves is players who are very versatile. Whether it be the player can play in multiple positions, or multiple schemes, Buddy just seem to love those type players. Now looking into this years draft, I've been really thinking hard on what The Bills will do with a top 10 pick. I figured the best thing to do would be to pick the best player available, but that doesn't seem to be Buddy's style really, so the real thing to ask is, whose a believable draft pick (NO LUCK, OR RG3!!!) Is the most versatile? For that i think will be the pick the Bills will take.

That's why i like Marvin Ingram , He can play DE/LB can come off the end in a 3 point stance or standing , he has been on the hands team too in college & the guy is a beast . A little short for a prototypical DE/LB but is 276 so he's got plenty of weight & a lot of speed !!

He's my pick , then pick up Hightower in the second !!