Renter Liability Plumming

kota

Curious on everyone's opinion.

I am currently in a dispute with the property manager of the house i rent. Last week the main line in the house backed up clogging both toilets, the shower, and the bathtube. Plummer was called and they found baby wipes. They are now saying i am liable for the cost of the plummer because due to negligance or misuse. I admit to flushing "Flushable" baby wipes down the toilet. My problem with all this is a year prior to this latest incident the main line backed up due to Tree Roots. Once this was found they have done nothing to correct the roots. I am currently refusing to pay the bill because i am not convinced the baby wipes are the sole problem with the septic system. I also have a problem with her case on baby wipes. She states that as a mother of 4 she knows through experience that baby wipes aren't good for septic systems even the flushable kind. How am i supposed to know this? I tend to think the manufacturer wouldn't put flushable on the package if they weren't.

I live in California and am not sure what the law is. The Bill is small 120 dollars. I am afraid that if i bend over and pay something else will come up.

Thoughts?

do you like where you live? how big is the bill? is it something you can negotiate with the company to split it with you?

I am currently in a dispute with the property manager of the house i rent. Last week the main line in the house backed up clogging both toilets, the shower, and the bathtube. Plummer was called and they found baby wipes. They are now saying i am liable for the cost of the plummer because due to negligance or misuse. I admit to flushing "Flushable" baby wipes down the toilet. My problem with all this is a year prior to this latest incident the main line backed up due to Tree Roots. Once this was found they have done nothing to correct the roots. I am currently refusing to pay the bill because i am not convinced the baby wipes are the sole problem with the septic system. I also have a problem with her case on baby wipes. She states that as a mother of 4 she knows through experience that baby wipes aren't good for septic systems even the flushable kind. How am i supposed to know this? I tend to think the manufacturer wouldn't put flushable on the package if they weren't.

I live in California and am not sure what the law is. The Bill is small 120 dollars. I am afraid that if i bend over and pay something else will come up.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Whether or not the baby wipes were the sole reason, proving the wipes had no impact will be difficult.

Even consumer reports does not recommend flushing them: Linky

IMHO, I am in agreement with the others who say you should try to negotiate with the property manager to split the cost.

Use the fact "she", as a mother of four, "knows through experience that baby wipes aren't good for septic systems even the flushable kind."

Now you know, through experience, flushable ones are not to be flushed.

What does your lease say? Mine specifically tells us not to run certain things down the disposal. We used to piss the engineers off in the hotels I worked at everytime we dumped rice down the disposal. :devil:

Why?

same reasons throwing rice at a wedding pisses off peta(which actually is a good reason TO do something)...it causes the birds to explode...it has to be true...its on the internet

:devil:

When it gets in contact with water it plumps up and glogs the drains.....BAD!! 0:)

Thoughts?

$120 for a plummer call out? Pretty cheap. That's just to use a plunger I would say. I would think mama would know how to use one of those. Not much of a manager.

Youre going to get into a pissing match with your landlord over a $120 repair on a clogged toilet, where you at a minimum carry some responsibility for the repair (even the professional you called in told you this)?

Really?!!??

Youre going to get into a pissing match with your landlord over a $120 repair on a clogged toilet, where you at a minimum carry some responsibility for the repair (even the professional you called in told you this)?

Really?!!??

I wouldn't pay anything. Why? Cause the landlord doesn't want to incur the cost and a plumber, surprise, hired by the landlord, agrees? Professional? Some of the largest corp's around with their extensive R&D's say they are flushable. Who is more believable, them or a plumber?

Let the landlord take you to small claims and he doesn't stand a chance as he has no creditable proof

Read the web site

More on wipes & septics

Edited by MarkyMannn

same reasons throwing rice at a wedding pisses off peta(which actually is a good reason TO do something)...it causes the birds to explode...it has to be true...its on the internet

:devil:

Love throwing Alka Seltzer to pigeons.