upshaw is safer than reiff

as a hawkeye fan i watched reiff not dominate like bulaga and he is ok but upshaw seems dominant which is what we need to help darius. remember when the jets got shonn green in the third (a steal) well like i said in the last post MARVIN MCNUTT would be a steal at pick 42

as a hawkeye fan i watched reiff not dominate like bulaga and he is ok but upshaw seems dominant which is what we need to help darius. remember when the jets got shonn green in the third (a steal) well like i said in the last post MARVIN MCNUTT would be a steal at pick 42

Uh, huh, huh, huh... Uh, huh, huh, huh... He said McNutt. Huh, huh.

Reiff is going to be an All-Pro as will Kalil and Adams. Too bad we won't see Upshaw at our pick, but we'll see him twice a year. You can read what I said about Reiff here.

Astro

Really....and how do you know this? IMO...Kalil is the only OT worth taking in the top 10, and he will obviously be long gone by #10. Reiff is an impressive OT prospect, but he is not without weaknesses. He appears to be excellent at run blocking, and seems to do a decent job protecting the edge against speed rushers. I question his footwork, however, as he seems to have trouble pass blocking when the rusher makes a move to the inside. Not saying that technique issues such as this cannot be corrected, but declaring Reiff an all-pro? I think that's a bit of a leap.

Really....and how do you know this? IMO...Kalil is the only OT worth taking in the top 10, and he will obviously be long gone by #10. Reiff is an impressive OT prospect, but he is not without weaknesses. He appears to be excellent at run blocking, and seems to do a decent job protecting the edge against speed rushers. I question his footwork, however, as he seems to have trouble pass blocking when the rusher makes a move to the inside. Not saying that technique issues such as this cannot be corrected, but declaring Reiff an all-pro? I think that's a bit of a leap.

Lololololololol

You call him out for his prognostication, and then you go on to offer your own.

Here's someone who would know, and he feels Reiff is a better prospect than Kalil.

Reiff is going to be an All-Pro as will Kalil and Adams. Too bad we won't see Upshaw at our pick, but we'll see him twice a year. You can read what I said about Reiff here.

Astro

If Upshaw is in fact gone then i would take either Hightower or Mercilus with the pick & if Buddy was really going to go LT i would go with the kid from stanford b/c any thing i've read says that Reiff is going to be a good RT but not as good at LT in the NFL !!

If Upshaw is in fact gone then i would take either Hightower or Mercilus with the pick & if Buddy was really going to go LT i would go with the kid from stanford b/c any thing i've read says that Reiff is going to be a good RT but not as good at LT in the NFL !!

Why don't you read the article I posted about Reiff, from someone who actually worked in the NFL for a couple of decades, contradicts what you've read.

Here's his thoughts on Martin and DeCastro.

Edited by bouds

I've no interest in Mercilus, he's a one year wonder and that scares me away from taking him as a top ten player.

Everything I've read has Reiff as the better athlete between he and Martin and therefore the more likely to play LT in the NFL.

Astro

Oh really? 3 all pro tackles this year? Or will there be others too? Maybe you want to scale back some from that?

Edited by NoSaint

I could live with Reiff but I really like Upshaw here. I am afraid Upshaw may climb on the boards after the Senior Bowl though.

Mercilus = A bigger version of Aaron Maybin - average success on an average team, in an average conference, for only one year :thumbdown:

If Upshaw is there, take him - success on the best team in the best conference, for a couple of years :thumbsup:

Evaluate, and draft, based on results, not potential! :wallbash:

Edited by CSBill

Reif and Upshaw would each be a magnificent pick at 10. I get a kick how all of a sudden Bulaga is a "great" pick when I pushed for him to be picked in the draft. I pushed for Oher as well. We have a glaring weakness that has not been addressed in all the time we have been a bad football team and that is offensive tackle. We now have yet another glaring weakness (where are the coach and general manager in addressing this?) in OLB and Upshaw would solve the problem. The choice is one or the other. On a note of interest, Kalil's dad was once drafter by the Buffalo bills.

We're talking about 20-22 year old kids transitioning to making nothing to making millions of dollars. There is no such thing as a safe draft pick. Aaron Curry looked to be one of the safest picks in his draft and he was traded after 3 years.

That said, I do think Upshaw is a very solid, if unspectular pick. Personally, I think the offensive tackle position has be completely devalued in the new NFL. While it would be great to have an all pro at those spots, you can get back with servicable players there. However if you don't have a pass rush, you're dead.