The Official Mitt Romney thread

To clarify - a GSE is a government sponsored enterprise, which is the worst of all evils. They are public companies, but investors view the implicit government backing as a virtual guarantee, which is why many think of them as government agencies. In the end, the Fan/Fred takeover wiped out the equity holders, but the bondholders didn't suffer any losses under the view that it would have been catastrophic.

The important point in this context being: they're NOT government agencies (or weren't until the government took them over), and not funded with tax dollars. Unless Gingrich was still consulting after 2008 (which is entirely possible - I looked, but couldn't find the dates of payment), his company would have received nothing that was taxpayer money.

• Replies 864
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like Rasmussen was on the cutting edge of Newt Gingrinch's fall-off once the voting public in Iowa, and in general, found out what he espouses.

Link

What might have done Gingrich in, Mann suggested, is his latest suggestion that as president he could have judges arrested for disagreeing with him.

"It shows it's an entirely stable pattern, the rise and fall of the anti-Romney candidate. Newt just appears to be the latest example of that," Mann said. "It's all directed at a particular candidate who rises, and then, once it's there and people see, they drop their support for that candidate and kind of move off randomly to other people without really knowing how they're going to vote."

Nationally, Gingrich's support has fallen, though not as rapidly as in Iowa, according to Gallup's daily tracking survey. He peaked at 37 percent to Romney's 22 percent at the beginning of December, and is now at 28 percent to Romney's 24 percent.

• 2 weeks later...

Go Santorum! i see him as the edwards of this election. probably not as debauched, but by appearance, almost as sleazy. short of the other rick, he's probably the best candidate for obama to run against. bye, bye newt.

I love the way Obama supporters are like Bills fan's. Pray for a weak schedule. We suck but we play Indy twice! Maybe we can win!

I love the way Obama supporters are like Bills fan's. Pray for a weak schedule. We suck but we play Indy twice! Maybe we can win!

Have you ever googled his name? You'll feel like your innocence was taken away.

As Mike Huckabee can attest, Iowa isn't much of a barometer. Still pretty strange to see the frothy mixture back in the mix.

I guess you have.

The problem with the GOP right now is they're not able to put forth an electable candidate. Romney would be but for the fact that he is JCLS. I think a lot of the GOP base of fundamentalist Christians would rather just not go to the polls than hold their nose and vote for him.

What? You and DiN will get along fabulously.

Oh come on man, that was a joke!

The problem with the GOP right now is they're not able to put forth an electable candidate. Romney would be but for the fact that he is JCLS. I think a lot of the GOP base of fundamentalist Christians would rather just not go to the polls than hold their nose and vote for him.

Oh come on man, that was a joke!

You really think the GOP base is Fundamentalist Christians? Only? Man you got a lot to learn.

You really think the GOP base is Fundamentalist Christians? Only? Man you got a lot to learn.

Not so fast there sparky. Is the whole base fundamentalist Christians. Of course not. But you have to admit they are a key part of the base. If enough don't show up at the polls especially in states like Florida and Ohio the GOP could have a problem.

Not so fast there sparky. Is the whole base fundamentalist Christians. Of course not. But you have to admit they are a key part of the base. If enough don't show up at the polls especially in states like Florida and Ohio the GOP could have a problem.

agreed

Fundamentalist Christians make up about 15% of the American population and about 35% of the GOP and about 40% of them consider JCLS a heretical cult and will not vote for a Mormon.

Wow. You guys are Idiots waiting to be blindsided.

I think you'll be blindsided because you have your head up your ass

Evangelical Christians consider Mormonism a threat in a way that Catholicism and even Judaism are not. The LDS Church, they charge, has perverted Christian teachings to create a false religion. As John L. Smith, a Southern Baptist who runs Utah Mission--an organization that tries to convert Mormons--told Christianity Today: "Mormonism is either totally true or totally false. If it's true, every other religion in America is false." To be tolerant of Mormonism is to put evangelical Christianity at risk. And to put a Mormon in the White House would be to place a stamp of approval on that faith.

Southern Baptists have been particularly vocal about labeling the LDS Church a "cult." In 1997, the denomination published a handbook and video, both with the title The Mormon Puzzle: Understanding and Witnessing to Latter-day Saints. More than 45,000 of these kits were distributed in the first year; the following year--in a throwing down of the proselytizing gauntlet--the Southern Baptist Convention held its annual meeting in Salt Lake City. Around the same time, a speaker at the denomination's summit on Mormonism declared that Utah was "a stronghold of Satan." When Richard Mouw, president of the evangelical Fuller Theological Seminary, tried to repair relations with the LDS community by apologizing on behalf of evangelicals during a speech in the Mormon Tabernacle last year, his conservative brethren lashed out. Mouw had no right, they declared in an open letter, to speak for them or apologize for denouncing Mormon "false prophecies and false teachings."

Polls support this contention. Alan Cooperman, a research director at the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life, pointed out to me that in the latest Pew Research poll, there are “really high negatives for Romney among white evangelicals.”

The Dec. 13 poll found that among white evangelical Protestants who say they are very likely to vote in a GOP primary, 18 percent say there is no chance they would vote for Newt Gingrich. For Romney, the figure is 35 percent.

Romney wins by a nose. His big bucks will drown Santorium out in many of the next primaries.

1) In spite of that I don't think people like this guy

2) Even if he wins the nomination I'm not sure a lot of Republicans will support him

3) Third party run by Paul?

1: Agreed, Romney won't win a popularity contest vs Obama. But look at Obama's approval ratings.

2: And you think they'd vote for Obama?

3: Doubtful