Green Bay Miscues - Basis?

The NY Giants clearly just out-physicalled the Pack - 3 fumbles (and a 4th that people will vigorously debate) plus a rare Rodgers INT.

However, in addition, I think at one point announcers said there were 8 drops by GB receivers.

Wondering if one of our very knowledgeable posters was watching and can diagnose (I know it's hard from TV) - was this a timing issue where the throws weren't where the WR expected?

Rodgers had a few non-drop throws that were clearly off a couple feet from being catchable - was this a timing issue where he expected a slightly different route?

Alternatively, were the GB wideouts just "hearing footsteps" from a very physical Lions D? Talley maintains that if you really nail a guy early in the game, you own him.

Several things contributed to the Packers poor play:

--Once again, a 3 week layoff (including the 'rest your starters in week 17' philosophy) comes back to bite a high powered offense that is used to playing every week.

--Giants made a point of playing physical defense and forcing turnovers, and it worked. Even when they weren't getting to Rodgers in the first half, they were hitting and forcing turnovers.

--The death of the offensive coordinator's son; you never know how something like that will impact the emotions of the team -- but the Packers looked pretty flat all game.

It's because a loss vs kc a month ago was the last time they played a game that mattered

You get out of routine

Not to mention Rodgers hadn't played in 3 weeks and Jennings missed the last 3 games.

Rodgers missed a wide open Jennings on their first drive that would have been a TD. A number of his throws were off, but he was also pressured a lot. He had to slide around, step up, and avoid the pressure numerous times. That also threw off the timing with the receivers. Rodgers was never comfortable.

I chalk this up to a little bit of rust combined with a great pass rush by the Giants.

--Once again, a 3 week layoff (including the 'rest your starters in week 17' philosophy) comes back to bite a high powered offense that is used to playing every week.

--Giants made a point of playing physical defense and forcing turnovers, and it worked. Even when they weren't getting to Rodgers in the first half, they were hitting and forcing turnovers.

--The death of the offensive coordinator's son; you never know how something like that will impact the emotions of the team -- but the Packers looked pretty flat all game.

Yes, and

Not to mention Rodgers hadn't played in 3 weeks and Jennings missed the last 3 games.

Rodgers missed a wide open Jennings on their first drive that would have been a TD. A number of his throws were off, but he was also pressured a lot. He had to slide around, step up, and avoid the pressure numerous times. That also threw off the timing with the receivers. Rodgers was never comfortable.

I chalk this up to a little bit of rust combined with a great pass rush by the Giants.

yes.

GB looked flat for most of the game, and they were lucky the game was that close. The refs completely blew the fumble recovery by the Jints which allowed GB to continue their drive to 7 points. That was a pretty terrible call. Even with that call going against them, they shrugged it off and kept laying the wood. It seemed the Packer receivers were getting more and more upset with every pass they dropped.

GB and NO may not be nearly as good next year. JMHO.

The NY Giants clearly just out-physicalled the Pack - 3 fumbles (and a 4th that people will vigorously debate) plus a rare Rodgers INT.

Couple of factors:

- Rusty Rodgers as many have stated already which disrupted the timing just enough against a very prepared Giants team

- Coaching: it is the coaches job to have the team ready regardless of the circumstances. Also, sitting Rodgers for the last game was not a good idea and it is again the coach's decision

- Aggressive (and did I say ready)Giants team and a very very accurate Eli Manning. He is looking better as seasons go on and despite big bro owning most records, baby bro may end up with more rings in their careers

One of the things I like about Rodgers is his ability to slide around in the pocket to escape pressure and make the big throws on the move. Not yesterday. I couldn't see it from the TV but judging from the fact that Rodgers was the Pack's leading rusher, the Giants secondary must have been amazing.

Still...all those drops

So is the consensus that with the bye and the extra rest, GB was just rusty and their timing was off?

Or was it that the G-men were really "laying the Wood" and the GB receivers were hearing footsteps? The fact that no GB receiver could finish a play without an attempt at Grand Theft Pigskin might seem to imply the G-men were just more physical than anyone GB has faced recently, and it came as a shock.

Or maybe all of the above? It's easy to say "rust" and "footsteps", I'm just wondering if anyone watches the Pack a lot and could diagnose more precisely - miscues between Rodgers and WR? Rodgers being hella inaccurate? Maybe we can't tell the diff all the time with the Bills so I'm asking too much?

One of the things I like about Rodgers is his ability to slide around in the pocket to escape pressure and make the big throws on the move. Not yesterday. I couldn't see it from the TV but judging from the fact that Rodgers was the Pack's leading rusher, the Giants secondary must have been amazing.

Still...all those drops

So is the consensus that with the bye and the extra rest, GB was just rusty and their timing was off?

Or was it that the G-men were really "laying the Wood" and the GB receivers were hearing footsteps? The fact that no GB receiver could finish a play without an attempt at Grand Theft Pigskin might seem to imply the G-men were just more physical than anyone GB has faced recently, and it came as a shock.

Or maybe all of the above? It's easy to say "rust" and "footsteps", I'm just wondering if anyone watches the Pack a lot and could diagnose more precisely - miscues between Rodgers and WR? Rodgers being hella inaccurate? Maybe we can't tell the diff all the time with the Bills so I'm asking too much?

The Packers defense is not world class like their offense. They stink. They were exposed finally when Rodgers could not score at will.

Not buying any of that except the second point. The fact is that the Giants played a better game and were the better team last night. I don't think the layoff had anything to do with it. I also don't buy the flat theory or the OC being off his game. The play calling was fine, the Giants D just didn't let them execute. The Giants have always had the talent, now they are finally putting it all together at the right time. I predict they beat SF and then NE in the Super Bowl.

The Giants have gotten hot (and not coincidentally healthy) at the right time. When they are healthy on defense, they can routinely get pressure on the QB with their front 4. That allows the secondary to do what it needs to do to handle the WRs -- both in terms of coverage and laying the wood on the receivers. The Bills would do well to follow their model for success.

It bothered me that Troy and Joe were scatching their heads all game? Apologists for the Packers it seemed all game?? Let's face it, the Giants beat them in all facits of the game, and deserved to win.

Tim-

On the contrary, when the Giants were called for that bogus roughing the passer penalty towards the end of the game, I got the sense that Troy was a little miffed that the Giants were robbed of the opportunity to essentially end the game right there. Then, when the Pack took advantage of it and eventually scored, he seemed even more irritated by the poor call.

Just my perspective.

That is what a Pass rush does...Throws the player off his rhythm. Once the rhythm is gone and the players on your face, it does not matter whether it is Brady or Rodgers or Fitzpatrick...The result will be the same. The Bills need that kind of pass rush on their front 7. Can Nix deliver via FA or the Draft? Mario Williams with Dareus and Williams would be an awesome DT.

The Packers defense is not world class like their offense. They stink. They were exposed finally when Rodgers could not score at will.

And it was a 3-4....What happened to Clay Mathews this year...I didn't hear his name that much...

That is what a Pass rush does...Throws the player off his rhythm. Once the rhythm is gone and the players on your face, it does not matter whether it is Brady or Rodgers or Fitzpatrick...The result will be the same. The Bills need that kind of pass rush on their front 7. Can Nix deliver via FA or the Draft? Mario Williams with Dareus and Williams would be an awesome DT.

And it was a 3-4....What happened to Clay Mathews this year...I didn't hear his name that much...

The Pack did lose a couple key D players to injury and/or FA. They need to fill those gaps.

It did seem as though GB was intimidated by the Giants - they played tough, tough physical defense.