- win close at home

- lose blown out on road

Bengals lost close on road

Broncos won blow out at home

Giants lost close one on road

Overall 2 & 3

Home 2 & 0

Away 0 & 3

Funny our winning % against playoff teams 40% is better than non-playoff 36%. One would think if we could solve our road woes we could be a contender; one road win would have given us winning record against playoff teams. All 3 losses we had 2nd half leads, 2 of the losses were by 3 points.

Just some food for thought when it's post season and Bills fans end up with a lot of time on their hands.

Pats

- win close at home

- lose blown out on road

Bengals lost close on road

Broncos won blow out at home

Giants lost close one on road

Overall 2 & 3

Home 2 & 0

Away 0 & 3

Funny our winning % against playoff teams 40% is better than non-playoff 36%. One would think if we could solve our road woes and play weaker teams better (which one would expect) we could be a contender; one road win would have given us winning record against playoff teams. All 3 losses we had 2nd half leads, 2 of the losses were by 3 points.

Just some food for thought when it's post season and Bills fans end up with a lot of time on their hands.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

You have to bring stout Defense, and be commited to the run game(Chan is not). To win tough games on the road.

vs. the Giants Fred Jack ripped them for over a hundred yards in the first half, then only got 5 more carries in the second half. Poor coaching!!!

CJ was slicing the Pats in game 2, we take a 21 nothing lead, give up 1 score. Chan abandons CJ, Poor Coaching!!!

Vs. the Bengals, rushing yards were tough to come by, but late in the game we had a chance until on a 3rd & 1 we went deep and got picked off. They were stopping our ground game, but I would like to think FJ could've gotten 1 yard.

Also to be noted, is that teams who commit to the run tend to pop bigger runs later in the game after the Defense is tired. Need proof, just look at what the Giants did to the Packers yesterday.

You have to bring stout Defense, and be commited to the run game(Chan is not). To win tough games on the road.

vs. the Giants Fred Jack ripped them for over a hundred yards in the first half, then only got 5 more carries in the second half. Poor coaching!!!

CJ was slicing the Pats in game 2, we take a 21 nothing lead, give up 1 score. Chan abandons CJ, Poor Coaching!!!

Vs. the Bengals, rushing yards were tough to come by, but late in the game we had a chance until on a 3rd & 1 we went deep and got picked off. They were stopping our ground game, but I would like to think FJ could've gotten 1 yard.

Also to be noted, is that teams who commit to the run tend to pop bigger runs later in the game after the Defense is tired. Need proof, just look at what the Giants did to the Packers yesterday.

Good points about run.

On Giants they can also rush the passer. That's something that's road-worthy. There's less benefit to the home team's lack of crowd noise on offense and audibling when the defense isn't changing much anyway

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Totally agree! and am glad someone else watched the same games I did (I often wonder), stick with what is working until they take it away and running is a bigger strength on this team with our RBs. Chan says he wants a balanced attack but rarely shows that. In fact even on BB right now he is quoted as saying:

“I think you have to be balanced, but today in this league I think you may have to lean a little bit more on the pass game,” he said. “The defensive players are so much bigger and stronger and faster than they were 15 years ago and the field has remained the same size. So for the offense the field has actually shrunk because those defensive players are so much bigger, faster and stronger. So the only way to gain an advantage is to spread people out a little bit and create more creases for running lanes, throwing lanes, things like that.”

This past season there were 569 pass attempts for Fitzpatrick and 277 rushes for Jackson and Spiller combined. Part of the reason for that disparity was the frequency in which the Bills were behind on the scoreboard. Buffalo trailed their opponents in the third quarter in 10 of their 16 ball games often leading to more pass attempts.

If Buffalo is closer on the scoreboard through the course of games it’s reasonable to assume that the run-pass figures could shift slightly to 500 passes for Fitz and 345 carries for the two backs. Knowing 80 of Fitz’s completions will probably go to Jackson and Spiller as well (78 in 2011) that could be a balance Gailey can live with.

The key is getting Jackson and Spiller to live with them.

“I told both of them at the end of the year that nobody gets the ball as many times as they want,” said Gailey. “None of them do. I told Fred if we give it to you 25 times, you’ll want it 26. If you catch eight passes he’ll want nine. It’s true that there’s only one football and a bunch of good football players.”

Jackson is likely to still see more of the carries out of the backfield, but the difference in workload won’t be by a whole lot.

“I wouldn’t call it 50-50, but it’s closer to 50-50 than it ever has been because (Spiller’s) more confident and we have more confidence in him having experience now,” said Gailey. “To me it’s a win-win for everybody except them individually. It’s a win-win for the team. It’s a win-win for setting up game plans and for us making it through the season healthy. It’s not a win-win for each of them individually because neither one of them will get the ball as much as they want to.”

So what I get from this is he won't be changing this at all next season, sadly.

It really makes no sense considering the Oline men they have built around are better at run blocking, as well. Also the yards per, both running backs average over 5 a carry. The pass game average 6.74 per completion. So with Fitz's and his receivers completions @ 62% or close to 33% misses (more than that but rounding off here) take away a third of the yardage and you get about 4.5-5 yards an attempt and statistically a bigger gamble on failure. The Bills would be a better team if they were run the ball first team. Judging from their own stats.

Also I don't like the fact that since he won't give these guys the ball first, he will be creating discontent within the players at the position. This is really my one big gripe about coach Chan and I wish it wasn't because I like him.

On the road:

As Joe pointed out rushing is premium.

Running with the ball takes the crowd out (early because it's hard to communicate complex passing in the noise, later because it gets demoralizing and they shut up)

But also, you just generally have to have more talent to win on the road and rarely were we the more talented team. Easier to steal some wins with the energy of the crowd behind you as long as you aren't totally outgunned.

How you travel matters too- in other words travel schedule, arrangements, team cohesion, and a host of other things. Being disciplined and on a good schedule for the day(s) before makes a difference, and coaches/players have different theories. I don't know chans at all

Edited by NoSaint