The Brady Punt

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright.

There was 2:56 left in the game.

The Patriots were 3rd and 10 from there own 42-yard line.

The score was 45-10.

As far as I can tell, Denver didn't bother using any time outs in the second half.

So I'm not seeing the point of a quick kick instead of a punt.

edit: The outcome was decided.

Why would you do something like this?

Two possible reasons:

1) To show how clever you are

2) To humiliate your opponent

Alright.

There was 2:56 left in the game.

The Patriots were 3rd and 10 from there own 42-yard line.

The score was 45-10.

As far as I can tell, Denver didn't bother using any time outs in the second half.

So I'm not seeing the point of a quick kick instead of a punt.

edit: The outcome was decided.

Why would you do something like this?

Two possible reasons:

1) To show how clever you are

2) To humiliate your opponent

Quite right. And both of those reasons actually lead to the third conclusion:

3. The Coach who made the call is an enormous Douche. Maybe even Maximum Douche.

Edited by RJ (not THAT RJ)

Quite right. And both of those reasons actually lead to the third conclusion:

3. The Coach who made the call is an enormous Douche.

A conclusion further supported by the fact that he WILLFULLY CHEATED IN ORDER TO GAIN AN UNFAIR ADVANTAGE OVER HIS OPPONENTS by videotaping the practices of his opponents.

I don't get all the whining about this play. Pats didn't need points so why risk a turnover or hit on Brady when you can punt and eliminate any possible big return.

As for the whining about Brady playing the whole game, that's what they've done for the last ten years. They play 60 mins. every week regardless of the score. If you aren't used to that by now, I don't know what to tell you.

Field position, it is arrogant though. There is also more chance of a turn over since it is a surprise.

I don't get all the whining about this play. Pats didn't need points so why risk a turnover or hit on Brady when you can punt and eliminate any possible big return.

Why risk a hit on Brady?

Good point. Maybe you should:

1) Take a knee

2) Put in a different QB

3) Hand it off to your least important back

4) Put in the guy who's job it is to punt the ball

There are probably more reasons, but those are the ones that quickly come to mind. The move - under the circumstances - reeks of pure arrogance.

You critics don't get it do you?

Belichick is who he is, the greatest HC of all time, because he is all abut situational football. He expects of his players to be in tune with all possible situations no matter the time of game nor the score on the board. No doubt he also wishes for his players to expect the same in reverse. BB used Brady to punt because he was able to practice a possible outcome situation that might happen in the future.

That's why the Pats under Belichik have been a dynasty and have been winning crazy numbers of football games the last decade, much to the chagrin of opposing fans and players who, often, take the opportunity to chastise the Pats for being arrogant and disrespectful in the process.

You critics don't get it do you?

Belichick is who he is, the greatest HC of all time, because he is all abut situational football. He expects of his players to be in tune with all possible situations no matter the time of game nor the score on the board. No doubt he also wishes for his players to expect the same in reverse. BB used Brady to punt because he was able to practice a possible outcome situation that might happen in the future.

That's why the Pats under Belichik have been a dynasty and have been winning crazy numbers of football games the last decade, much to the chagrin of opposing fans and players who, often, take the opportunity to chastise the Pats for being arrogant and disrespectful in the process.

Baloney.

If you did a sabermetric study of the benefits of even attempting a drop kick for an extra point which Belichick called in 2005, or a quick kick as he called against Denver, I'd bet you dimes to dollars that there is no benefit… because the inherent risks outweigh the benefits.

And practicing situational football for a future occasion? I'll believe it if Belichick and Brady do another quick kick during these playoffs. Next year is a new year with new players. Using it in a game is not for the sake of practice. If you want to practice it, practice it in practice.

Moreover, just cause you can execute it once in a game setting doesn't mean you will do so successfully again. And in fact, if anything "practicing it" during a game will only make your opponent even more aware of the possibility of it happening so I completely do not buy your argument about practicing it in a game situation.

Ridiculous.

Have Lombardi, Gibbs, Walsh, Parcells or any other multiple Super Bowl winning coach ever attempted a quick kick instead of a punt during an NFL playoff game?

No.

Why not?

Because it's a bullcrap play that says "look at me" and has dubious benefit if any over the alternative of running a play and then punting.

The score was 45-10.

The game was decided.

It was a douche play by a Douche Nozzle.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

I didn't watch the whole NE/DEN game but read several articles and saw all the highlights. From what I gather the situation is this:

It is 3rd and 10, with about 3:10 left in the fourth quarter. NE has the ball on their own 32. NE has a commanding 45-10 lead. They decide to run a "trick" play where the ball is snapped to Brady and he punts it. With no one expecting it and some favorable bounces it ends up on DEN's 10. A 48 yard punt.

My question is WHY?

With this much of a lead you have to assume NE isn't really threatened with a miraculous Tebow comeback. You have to also assume the priority would be to run the ball and waste more time off the clock. Also, the odds that your regular punter would have it land roughly in the same area. I know the trick eliminated a chance at a return but does it really matter?

New England coaches and players have admitted to designing this play and practicing it. Since this is the case, why waste a trick play for the first time in an absolutely useless situation. Why not use it in a crazy 3rd and 19 situation when you realistically are going to punt on 4th anyhow?

Unless I missed something, I can only think of this being a play Belichick and crew wanted to try out. Or it is sort of a "lets show what NE can do." type of play? I personally think it was both stupid for wasting it and disrespectful move. Hence, I can see why Denver players were upset.

Anyone, have any further information or thoughts on this?

To give Brady a chance to practice it in an actual game. It's a good card to have, Denver used to do it w/ Elway

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Baloney.

If you did a sabermetric study of the benefits of even attempting a drop kick for an extra point which Belichick called in 2005, or a quick kick as he called against Denver, I'd bet you dimes to dollars that there is no benefit… because the inherent risks outweigh the benefits.

And practicing situational football for a future occasion? I'll believe it if Belichick and Brady do another quick kick during these playoffs. Next year is a new year with new players. Using it in a game is not for the sake of practice. If you want to practice it, practice it in practice.

Moreover, just cause you can execute it once in a game setting doesn't mean you will do so successfully again. And in fact, if anything "practicing it" during a game will only make your opponent even more aware of the possibility of it happening so I completely do not buy your argument about practicing it in a game situation.

Ridiculous.

Have Lombardi, Gibbs, Walsh, Parcells or any other multiple Super Bowl winning coach ever attempted a quick kick instead of a punt during an NFL playoff game?

No.

Why not?

Because it's a bullcrap play that says "look at me" and has dubious benefit if any over the alternative of running a play and then punting.

The score was 45-10.

The game was decided.

You don't know much about how Belichick operates do you? He's all about practicing situational football and he'll prepare his team for every and any situation possible ..... and there is nothing like situational practice in an actually football game. No amount of simulated practice can prepare you as does an actual game. I wouldn't be surprised to learn Belichick sprung this on his team to see how prepared they were to handle it ... just so that he could ream them out if they faltered since he wasn't going to be able chastise them for much anything else they did wrong from that game.

Edited by Pneumonic

You don't know much about how Belichick operates do you? He's all about practicing situational football and he'll prepare his team for every and any situation possible ..... and there is nothing like situational practice in an actually football game. No amount of simulated practice can prepare you as does an actual game. I wouldn't be surprised to learn Belichick sprung this on his team to see how prepared they were to handle it ... just so that he could ream them out if they faltered since he wasn't going to be able chastise them for much anything else they did wrong from that game.

Well we will disagree Pneumonic.

The rationale sounds good but a bit too convenient.

I prefer to attribute it to the dark character of the man.

And I do know how Belichick operates… both on and off the field.

Well we will disagree Pneumonic.

The rationale sounds good but a bit too convenient.

I prefer to attribute it to the dark character of the man.

And I do know how Belichick operates… both on and off the field.

If Belichick wanted to be a dick and draw attention to himself and/or the team why bother with a punt when all he had to do was instruct his OC to call pass play after pass play in order for Brady to break the record for passing TD's in a playoff game? Heck, at the rate the Pats were going, Brady could probably have easily hit 9 passing TD's in this game. Now that would have been the ultimate exploitation don't you think? Not some punt practice exercise .......

If Belichick wanted to be a dick and draw attention to himself and/or the team why bother with a punt when all he had to do was instruct his OC to call pass play after pass play in order for Brady to break the record for passing TD's in a playoff game? Heck, at the rate the Pats were going, Brady could probably have easily hit 9 passing TD's in this game. Now that would have been the ultimate exploitation don't you think? Not some punt practice exercise .......

Because Belichick already does that (running up the score) all the time.

This was a new and unique way for him to be a douche bag.

Because Belichick already does that (running up the score) all the time.

This was a new and unique way for him to be a douche bag.

What would have been new and unique was Belichick guiding his QB to an unheard of, record setting 9 or 10 passing TD game ............ not a game where his QB punts the ball again. :rolleyes:

I have no problem with the quick kick.

I do not understand keeping Brady in though. I understand that is what they have done in the past. It would make more sense to me to get him out of the game to avoid the risk of injury and give one of their back ups some reps in a playoff game.

I couldn't watch the game so I'm not up to speed on the "quick kick."

But when you do a cost-benefit analysis on it (and it's a strategic decision so obviously one was done) what is the real benefit of the kick?

I can see where the return threat is reduced and the net gain on the "punt" is improved but the Patsies* also relinquished an opportunity to run more time off the clock.

If they were worried about Brady getting hit and turning the ball over, why not run it or just kneel down (again I don't know the particulars). Then they run more time off the clock and then punt it away.

It seems for every reason to do this I could come up with a reason that it's a bad idea.

And here's what I think is a legit question: if the quick kick is such a great idea, why is it that no other coach ever uses one?

Personally without knowing down/distance, field position and time remaining, it seems like just another manifestation of Belichick's "I'm smarter than you are" personality.

The quick kick is tactically sound in a close, defensive-oriented/field position game, when your team is near midfield and facing a 3rd and (long enough to be all but unmakeable). I seem to recall Big Ben executing a quick kick a few years ago -- maybe against the Ravens? It was a great move in that situation.

Baloney.

Ridiculous.

No.

Why not?

The score was 45-10.

The game was decided.

One of the advantages of the quick kick is the element of surprise -- with no returner back, you can get 20 yards of extra field position from the ball rolling. Pulling out the quick kick in a blowout is not something one does as part of normal football tactics. Especially since you've now blown your element of surprise if you want to use it in an appropriate situation. (Actually, with the Patriots' current offense and defense, there's never an appropriate time to use a quick kick.)

"But now opponents have to prepare for it! It's strategy, not dickishness!"

Oh please. You think the Ravens are worried about Brady punting on 3rd and 10? They'll gladly let the ball roll and roll following a Brady punt, as long as it means Brady didn't pass for a first down. Yeah, I'm sure the Ravens are devoting all kinds of practice time to quick kick returns. Probably just going to start lining up the punt return unit on every 3rd and long. Get real. If there was any way to confirm it, I'd bet money that the Ravens spend exactly 0 additional reps in practice preparing for a quick kick.