Lee "the magician" Evans....hes dissapeared

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is indeed a "fleecing" going on by the Bills, but it ain't the other teams who are the victims... it's those of you who applaud these kinds of talent-draining, profit-enlarging maneuvers and rush to the ticket gates year after year.

So we're still going to pretend that he's talented?

I did forget about his amazing decoy skills, so bad on me.

Remember it is the Bills picking with that 4th rounder. Last year in the 4th they passed up the obvious choice; Casey Matthews.

Last year, Casey Matthews had 30 tackles and 1 Sack. Searcy had 26 tackles and an INT. Our other 4th Rounder Hairston started 7 games at LT and did a credible job. I'll take both of those picks any day.

The Evans trade was a bit of a panic move by an organization (Baltimore) that is desperately trying to win, year in and year out. They decided they needed to make sure that they had a capable #2 to compliment Boldin, and they pulled the trigger. While it turned out that they didn't need to make the move (because Torrey Smith was more NFL-ready than anyone thought), I have no doubt that moves like that energize their players and fanbase. Similar to bringing in McKinnie - the Ravens have demonstrated to everyone time and again that they'll do what it takes to win.

Now contrast that with the baffled reaction that many Bills players and knowledgeable Bills fans had in response to the trade. Because in direct contrast to the Ravens, the Bills have shown time and again that they will do anything they can to save a few dollars.

But go ahead and laugh about how we "fleeced" them for a 4th round pick.

There is indeed a "fleecing" going on by the Bills, but it ain't the other teams who are the victims... it's those of you who applaud these kinds of talent-draining, profit-enlarging maneuvers and rush to the ticket gates year after year.

:worthy:

The Bills couldn't have possibly used Evans this season, they had Brad Smith as the #2 WR and guys like Ruvell Martain & Kamar Aiken to help run those 4, 5 WR empty backfield sets

translation: Lee Evans didn't contribute one iota to Baltimore's success this year....

I think the accuracy of this statement is a matter of perspective, at best. If you consider why they got him, and what his presence meant toward that end, I think there's a case to be made that he did indeed make a tangible contribution to Baltimore's current position.

Going into this season, the Ravens had one significant hump to get over before they could legitimately compete for a championship; the same hump that has been obstructing them for the last decade. That hump is the Pixburgh Stillers. A team who had swept them several times in the last decade, a team who had kicked them out of the playoffs every one of the 3 times they met, a team who has repeatedly taken division titles away from them for the last 10 years. They acquired Evans at a very modest price to make a very notable difference; to apply heretofore nonexistent pressure on a group of marginal Steelers corners, the most Achilles of heels on that team. The immediate result was that they swept the Stillers (which I'm not sure has ever happened in the entire history of that rivalry) and in the matchup where Evans was healthy, scored more points against the Pittsburgh D than I ever remember them scoring before. That offensive output and resultant sweep gave the Ravens just their second division title in about the last 10 years, a first round playoff bye, a home opener in the quarterfinals and the luxury of not having to see Pittsburgh for a third time this season.

Looking at year long statistics show you exactly what you expect; math. But weighting situational play leads one to a different and more accurate conclusion; while Evans contribution was brief it was certainly not insignificant.

The Bills couldn't have possibly used Evans this season......

Used him for what?

He would likely have been superfluous in this offense and even if he wasn't, what would the Bills have realistically gained by keeping him? Would they have failed to extend somebody else or decided not to sign a guy like Barnett if they were still paying Evans? And even if they had, what would they have gained from Evans on the field? Would he have enabled them to crawl upwards to 7-9?

The Bills lost virtually nothing by trading a guy that they couldn't utilize when they weren't even ready to win in the first place.

Used him for what?

He would likely have been superfluous in this offense and even if he wasn't, what would the Bills have realistically gained by keeping him? Would they have failed to extend somebody else or decided not to sign a guy like Barnett if they were still paying Evans? And even if they had, what would they have gained from Evans on the field? Would he have enabled them to crawl upwards to 7-9?

The Bills lost virtually nothing by trading a guy that they couldn't utilize when they weren't even ready to win in the first place.

I don't get it - not only are you asking us to prove the negative, but even worse, you've already pretty much laid out the proof yourself.

I love how the pro-Evans trade folks have reduced themselves to arguing, essentially, "Name one play where Evans would have made a difference!" - obviously, this is an impossible task.

But it sure seems reasonable to assume that, if Evans had stayed in Buffalo and not gotten injured, things would've been different for the offense. As we all know, opposing defenses started jamming the Bills' WRs at the line in the second half of the season (really, starting with the Jets game in Buffalo), because they figured out that Fitz wanted to throw the quick pass and anyhow, there was no one who could beat the defense over the top. If Evans had been on the roster, and Fitz hits him just ONCE over the top during that stretch, there is a good chance that opposing defenses play more honest during that brutal stretch of the season. If Fitz hits him a second or third time, running and passing lanes start opening up and who knows if we tailspin like we did.

Again, I'm not saying this WOULD HAVE happened, just that it is reasonable to surmise. For the same reasons you've pointed to with respect to Evans' impact on Baltimore's offense.

I mean, it sure seems like you're trying to have it both ways, arguing that Evans' impact on Balitomore's offense was tangible and definitive, even though the stats don't support it, and yet, paradoxically, that he wouldn't have had the same impact on Buffalo's offense.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Without a doubt my favorite buffalo bill.....

However....

We STOLE that draft pick from the ravens for what hes given the ravens this year....

You do realize he was injured all year right?...OH...never mind. Continue bashing and whiny over players no longer on the team. ....and people say I can't let the Jason Peters fiasco go. :thumbdown:

You do realize he was injured all year right?...OH...never mind. Continue bashing and whiny over players no longer on the team. ....and people say I can't let the Jason Peters fiasco go. :thumbdown:

You don't think there's even a remote possibility that the medical staff which oversaw Evans' health for the 7 years prior MAAAAAAAAAAAY have been able to foresee this injury?

You think we're not shrewd enough to knowingly sell a lemon?

You don't think there's even a remote possibility that the medical staff which oversaw Evans' health for the 7 years prior MAAAAAAAAAAAY have been able to foresee this injury?

You think we're not shrewd enough to knowingly sell a lemon?

So our training staff is so good they can predict Evans' injury (despite the fact he only missed 5 starts in his final 6 years in buffalo), yet they can't predict injuries to our own guys?

Just because the trade appeard to "work out" from the Bills prospective doesn't mean it is all of a sudden a wise trade to make. Selling off talent to free up a few bucks for ralphie is still not a good way to run a franchise, and the next time they do it, they may end up getting burned. It's not the trade, its the mentality behind the trade that most of us are arguing against. That being that it's been to try and line ralphie's pockets with a few more millions than it is to try to win a few more games.

So our training staff is so good they can predict Evans' injury (despite the fact he only missed 5 starts in his final 6 years in buffalo), yet they can't predict injuries to our own guys?

Just because the trade appeard to "work out" from the Bills prospective doesn't mean it is all of a sudden a wise trade to make. Selling off talent to free up a few bucks for ralphie is still not a good way to run a franchise, and the next time they do it, they may end up getting burned. It's not the trade, its the mentality behind the trade that most of us are arguing against. That being that it's been to try and line ralphie's pockets with a few more millions than it is to try to win a few more games.

No.

Lee started in 109 consecutive games, then missed the last three of 2010.

You don't think that over that course of time, the team doctors were patching this, watching that, letting him slide with this nagging pain, wrapping him up so he could deal with another pain...and then when he finally did sustain an injury bad enough to miss a start, they saw an avalanche coming?

Lee started in 109 consecutive games, then missed the last three of 2010.

You don't think that over that course of time, the team doctors were patching this, watching that, letting him slide with this nagging pain, wrapping him up so he could deal with another pain...and then when he finally did sustain an injury bad enough to miss a start, they saw an avalanche coming?

No I do not. But I am not a believer in the magic eight ball either.

(Mainly because when I ask it if I have a chance with Eliza Dushku the response is always "Outlook not so good") :doh:

Edited by CodeMonkey

No I do not. But I am not a believer in the magic eight ball either. :doh:

Right, well the buck shot you bring to every TSW knife fight assumes that anyone who passes through the front doors at OBD is automatically poisoned by the incompetency virus.

And I'm certain that the trained medical staff would very much appreciate your arm chair criticism. I mean, what would they know? They're just doctors.

So, quite frankly, your opinion on this, like your opinions on most things round here (like seeing the world through a coffee stirrer) neither surprises nor challenges me intellectually.

In other words, for the one millionth time, thanks for nothing.