No More Blackouts?

BRAWNDO

Horse....Hair? I did not mean this is their only source of income. This is supplementary income. I have stadium workers walking by my house at 5am in the morning game days. 5am what would you like to be doing at 5am on a Sunday? On a side note I can tell how the job market/economy is in WNY by a simple method. When the 5 cent beverage recyclers/canners come picking up at Hammer's Lot the Economy is good because they leave bottles/glass.

Ecomony bad they pick up everything.

I think if the Bills are forced to show all their games on TV, it will have a bad ripple effect on the future of the Bills in WNY. Lack of Corporate sponsorship money,suites, oh wait their are alot of corporatations in Toronto and in other cities. WNY and PSL's yea right, WNY is a $20 town, Toronto financial center of Canada. If the bills increase ticket prices why buy them I can watch them on TV. Depending on the FCC ruling I think this could play a huge part in the lease negotiations between the Bills and Erie County. Perhaps Democrate Congressman Brian Higgins, who by the way is up for reelection and is surprising in favor (votes)of a new FCC rule (less goverment??? and has not presented a rule blackout plan) will help in the lease negotiations! Horse ....puck?

The economy being bad is more of a reason TO broadcast the games on TV. As long as tax money goes into the Ralph in the form of renovations, traffic, etc. I think it is the right of the people paying those taxes to watch the game on TV if they so desire. Particularly the ones who cannot afford to spend a couple hundred dollars to see the game at the Ralph yet are forced to pay the taxes anyway. But this is actually not my biggest complaint. My complaint is that directTV subscribers get blacked out. They PAY to see the game. And the NFL does see a big taste of the money paid for the Sunday ticket by the subscribers. Everyone who pays money should be able to get what they paid for, period.

I also don't think the blackout rule has a profound effect on attendance on game day in Buffalo. People that go to the games go because they love the experience. Whether the game is on TV or not does not even enter into their decision making process. I don't know of anyone ever who has gone to a game because it was blacked out. Maybe there are some, but I doubt it is anything resembling a significant number.

If you are arguing that over the course of a few seasons, like say the current dirty dozen, people might be even more inclined to drop their seasons if they knew all games would be on TV. You could be right, I don't know. But in my opinion the answer to that problem is not blackouts, but fielding a team that does not suck ass. And for other cities who have problems selling tickets, try lowering the ticket price to a point where it doesn't require a 2nd mortgage to buy a pair of seasons.

And it was horse flys ;)

Edited by CodeMonkey

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Few Sports Fans Weigh in on Blackout Rule

80 comments??? How many NFL fans are there and only 80 bothered to file comments??? At least it looks like a majority are Bills fans! (At least the majority of fans who still don't own a computer.)

C'mon folks! You have an opportunity to make a difference and people are passing. Making a comment at the FCC is easy and can be done online. In fact HERE IS THE LINK to leave your comment. Take a few minutes and make a difference. Believe it or not the FCC is one of the few federal agencies that really pays attention to consumers.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

80 comments??? How many NFL fans are there and only 80 bothered to file comments??? At least it looks like a majority are Bills fans! (At least the majority of fans who still don't own a computer.)

C'mon folks! You have an opportunity to make a difference and people are passing. Making a comment at the FCC is easy and can be done online. In fact HERE IS THE LINK to leave your comment. Take a few minutes and make a difference. Believe it or not the FCC is one of the few federal agencies that really pays attention to consumers.

PTR

Add one more Bills fan to the list.

PTR

You can get 800,000 if you want, it won't make any difference. Buy Sunday Ticket.

I also don't think the blackout rule has a profound effect on attendance on game day in Buffalo. People that go to the games go because they love the experience. Whether the game is on TV or not does not even enter into their decision making process. I don't know of anyone ever who has gone to a game because it was blacked out. Maybe there are some, but I doubt it is anything resembling a significant number.

;)

I see what happens on game days and I base that on being at the Ralph for every game except for two. Games not on TV (Blacked out) there are an increase in people who show in my lot looking for tickets either scalped or "where is the ticket office" more so than when games are sold out. When a white night(Russ Salvatore) buys up the tickets so the game can be on TV people stay home. You can not use the Bills gate count because they use tickets sold as their gate count.

You can get 800,000 if you want, it won't make any difference. Buy Sunday Ticket.

But Roger, Sunday ticket gets blacked out as well.

I see what happens on game days and I base that on being at the Ralph for every game except for two. Games not on TV (Blacked out) there are an increase in people who show in my lot looking for tickets either scalped or "where is the ticket office" more so than when games are sold out. When a white night(Russ Salvatore) buys up the tickets so the game can be on TV people stay home. You can not use the Bills gate count because they use tickets sold as their gate count.

And the increase you see equates to a significant (say 25% fewer unsold tickets) for blacked out games do you estimate?

If so, then color me surprised because like I said, I know of no one ever who has done that. That is my very unscientific sample size of me however :)

Edited by CodeMonkey