Jags owner questions fans

Oops!

Many people can't afford season tickets but are still fans, but when you have tarps covering thousands of seats why shouldn't the owner question Jag fandom?

Interesting to read the reaction to the Mularkey hire, or whether the new owner would restrict alcohol sales.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Way to start off your era as owner with a bang!

In an area where your team is not a huge draw, the best idea is not to go out and insult potential customers. I'm sure all owners really feel the way that he does/said, that ST holders are the "true" fans because purchasing ST's is better then purchasing a single game ticket, or watching the game for free at a bar or home. Problem is, there are die hards out there that might not make the money needed to purchase ST's, especially in todays economic times. The guy should be saying anyone that supports the team is a Fan, considering they have so much trouble to fill that stadium.

In an area where your team is not a huge draw, the best idea is not to go out and insult potential customers. I'm sure all owners really feel the way that he does/said, that ST holders are the "true" fans because purchasing ST's is better then purchasing a single game ticket, or watching the game for free at a bar or home. Problem is, there are die hards out there that might not make the money needed to purchase ST's, especially in todays economic times. The guy should be saying anyone that supports the team is a Fan, considering they have so much trouble to fill that stadium.

He did come on a local radio station and say that. Damage control at it's finest. :thumbsup:

Maybe he wants to get "chased out of town"?

I was just thinking that. When he bought the team he stated that he would not move the Jags out of Jax right? Well, if he posses off everyone to the point where they absoluetely hate the franchise then he gets away free and clear. Major League type situations come to mind. If they drop below certain capacities then maybe there's a good out for them.

You're exactly right about the economy! Why not remove the tarps and sell those seats for half price, or less? Create a revenue stream where there is none.

When i lived in Seattle, and the NBA Sonics played in the Kingdome, they had a lot of bad seats, in the upper levels. They sold them for a couple dollars each, and made it up in concession sales. You couldn't really enjoy an NBA game from there but it provided a way for people to go out, enjoy themselves, and say they were at the game. The NFL tickets are way too expensive for the average family, but this could provide an affordable option to many fans while providing the new owner with money that he would never otherwise see.

Maybe he wants to get "chased out of town"?

He will probably move the team in 3 years. Jacksonville has to be one of the worst NFL cities in the league. And not just because of attendance.

One would expect when you drop that kind of cash on a NFL team, you already have plan B in place.

The Packers could move there and they would still have to tarp off seats.

Edited by Best Player Available

That's a legit question...if their fans ever showed up when they were good.

PTR

I found it interesting that we constantly bash Jax for lack of fan support but they had higher total attendance in 2011 than we did. They had 498,655 for 8 home games (avg per game 62,332). We had 438,864 for 7 home games (62,695 per game) add in the Toronto "home" game attendace of 52,134 for a total of 460,998 (61,375 avg). So we should probably stop slapping Jax around for lack of fan support.

**another really interesting not was that Cincy had the lowest attendamce and they made the playoffs. (394,609 for 8 gaames or 49,326 avg)