I B . Weeden Through QB's In the Draft

T master

I was wondering ! Every time i get on here and there is mention made of the Bills drafting a QB every one seems to have it bad for Tannehill which i don't see ? So i have been looking around & one thing that i have stated was that I wanted a winner period . And in one post i wrote that was a big reason why i thought Kellen Moore in a late round might be a steel & i still think that .

But as i said i was looking at some senior QB's coming out this year & Brandon Weedon was great this year in the win column so i went & checked out what he did at OSU over the time he's been there . He has "Prototypical NFL QB" size 6' 4" - 218 lbs his "stats" suggest that he is very competent in the position which a lot of you pointed out in the post i wrote on Moore "ya that's the way they draft QB's is by their stats" :nana:

SO THIS TIME i came to you all for your experience & expert knowledge of the NFL QB-ing position :worthy: . Because i know now just how incompetent i am when it comes to picking talent in the NFL ! Thanks to the much more in tuned Bills fans that we have here on TBD :w00t: !!

(Although my gut was right on CJ when a lot of you said he was a bust & then there was the F Jackson thing when you all wanted Lynch to stay & last year my QB pick was Dalton but hey I know when i can't pick talent hence this post )

So i ask you . Has any of you seen much of Weeden on the field that might lead us to believe (other than his stats because as i was informed "YOU DON'T USE THEM TO EVALUATE QB'S" (to which again i say :nana: ) that he would be a good pick for the Bills ? I know one retired Bill that would probably dig the pick seeing as OSU is where he went to school , & if he turned out to be like him talent wise that would be even better . Of coarse I'm talkin about Thurman Thomas .

Of coarse his stats would suggest that he has a strong arm but i won't go there again that's why i'm posting this for your expertise to answer my questions !! It would be great if we got Blakmon in the first (not happening) & Weeden in the second . I KNOW I KNOW We need Defense & i agree !!!

Seeing as he's from Oklahoma he has played in the cold & snow from time to time , does he have the arm strength to play at the Ralph , How is his mobility (it looked pretty good in his bowl game) & finally - Would Weeden be a consideration to Bills nation as a good QB for the Bills & if so what round would he be viewed as a good pick ?? From what i saw against Stanford i think he would be a good fit but what do i know ???? IT'S ALL IN THE STATS :w00t: !!!!

Well there it is , my plea to Bills fans every where to enlighten me on the knowledge of picking a QB for our beloved Buffalo Bills !!!!

Edited by T master

I was wondering ! Every time i get on here and there is mention made of the Bills drafting a QB every one seems to have it bad for Tannehill which i don't see ? So i have been looking around & one thing that i have stated was that I wanted a winner period . And in one post i wrote that was a big reason why i thought Kellen Moore in a late round might be a steel & i still think that .

But as i said i was looking at some senior QB's coming out this year & Brandon Weedon was great this year in the win column so i went & checked out what he did at OSU over the time he's been there . He has "Prototypical NFL QB" size 6' 4" - 218 lbs his "stats" suggest that he is very competent in the position which a lot of you pointed out in the post i wrote on Moore "ya that's the way they draft QB's is by their stats" :nana:

SO THIS TIME i came to you all for your experience & expert knowledge of the NFL QB-ing position :worthy: . Because i know now just how incompetent i am when it comes to picking talent in the NFL ! Thanks to the much more in tuned Bills fans that we have here on TBD :w00t: !!

(Although my gut was right on CJ when a lot of you said he was a bust & then there was the F Jackson thing when you all wanted Lynch to stay & last year my QB pick was Dalton but hey I know when i can't pick talent hence this post )

So i ask you . Has any of you seen much of Weeden on the field that might lead us to believe (other than his stats because as i was informed "YOU DON'T USE THEM TO EVALUATE QB'S" (to which again i say :nana: ) that he would be a good pick for the Bills ? I know one retired Bill that would probably dig the pick seeing as OSU is where he went to school , & if he turned out to be like him talent wise that would be even better . Of coarse I'm talkin about Thurman Thomas .

Of coarse his stats would suggest that he has a strong arm but i won't go there again that's why i'm posting this for your expertise to answer my questions !! It would be great if we got Blakmon in the first (not happening) & Weeden in the second . I KNOW I KNOW We need Defense & i agree !!!

Seeing as he's from Oklahoma he has played in the cold & snow from time to time , does he have the arm strength to play at the Ralph , How is his mobility (it looked pretty good in his bowl game) & finally - Would Weeden be a consideration to Bills nation as a good QB for the Bills & if so what round would he be viewed as a good pick ?? From what i saw against Stanford i think he would be a good fit but what do i know ???? IT'S ALL IN THE STATS :w00t: !!!!

Well there it is , my plea to Bills fans every where to enlighten me on the knowledge of picking a QB for our beloved Buffalo Bills !!!!

This link does a good job breaking down a lot of the 2012 QB class.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/1/11/2698720/seahawks-scouting-NFL-Draft-quarterbacks

Weeden sounds like a good prospect, but is already 28 years old.

Brandon Weeden is another player I've left off the board for two main reasons. Firstly, it's very difficult to transfer from the Oklahoma State offense into the pro's, making for a substantial learning curve. Weeden will be a 29-year-old rookie, so how long can you afford to keep him on the sidelines? If you watch the tape, OK St have their quarterback in the gun and still running a five or seven step drop. The line drops too, creating a lot of space underneath. They further spread the field using 4WR sets and often running two go routes to clear out even more space for crossing or underneath targets. It's almost as if they double or triple the size of the field.

With the quarterback dropping so deep, he'll often have the time to let the receiver get open (in this case, first round pick Justin Blackmon) and then it's a case of making a simple completion. Weeden is generally throwing from a deep starting position which is why he needs that strong arm, but he's not making very challenging throws from within his own half or facing much pressure. I like how he's developed into an efficient red-zone passer with a great fade in his locker, but there's more work to be done on his overall game than I think people realise. If he's only going to be ready to start beyond the age of 30 that really limits his stock.

Brandon Weeden is another player I've left off the board for two main reasons. Firstly, it's very difficult to transfer from the Oklahoma State offense into the pro's, making for a substantial learning curve. Weeden will be a 29-year-old rookie, so how long can you afford to keep him on the sidelines? If you watch the tape, OK St have their quarterback in the gun and still running a five or seven step drop. The line drops too, creating a lot of space underneath. They further spread the field using 4WR sets and often running two go routes to clear out even more space for crossing or underneath targets. It's almost as if they double or triple the size of the field.

With the quarterback dropping so deep, he'll often have the time to let the receiver get open (in this case, first round pick Justin Blackmon) and then it's a case of making a simple completion. Weeden is generally throwing from a deep starting position which is why he needs that strong arm, but he's not making very challenging throws from within his own half or facing much pressure. I like how he's developed into an efficient red-zone passer with a great fade in his locker, but there's more work to be done on his overall game than I think people realise. If he's only going to be ready to start beyond the age of 30 that really limits his stock.

The age thing doesn't bug me , Todd Collins hung for quite a while & you your self said he had a strong arm so that answers one question.

Plus he will be sitting & learning from Fitz so if he has only been in college for 4 years which that's what his Bio says & he hasn't taken a beating only what every other 4 yr college QB has what's the down side ?? FJ is turning 30 & i would take him all day !!! In a later round i think he might be a good pick in spite of all you have pointed out !!

I like Weeden a lot, I think if he were 22 he'd be a hands down Top5 pick.

I don't like him for Buffalo because there is 0 chance he starts for Buffalo (unless Fitz got hurt) until he is 30.

I like him for a team like the Redskins or Browns that would play him on Week1.

Which ever one of those teams misses out on RGIII, i expect to trade down (like the both did last year) and land Weeden in the latter teens.

T-Master, Much better than the Kellen "Under the Must be "this" tall to be an NFL QB" Moore thread.

What is the difference between OSU's offense and Chan's spread offense?

Edited by Why So Serious?

I like Weeden a lot, I think if he were 22 he'd be a hands down Top5 pick.

I don't like him for Buffalo because there is 0 chance he starts for Buffalo (unless Fitz got hurt) until he is 30.

I like him for a team like the Redskins or Browns that would play him on Week1.

Which ever one of those teams misses out on RGIII, i expect to trade down (like the both did last year) and land Weeden in the latter teens.

Much better than the Kellen "Under the Must be "this" tall to be an NFL QB" Moore

What is the difference between OSU's offense and Chan's spread offense?

For one thing Fitz doesnt take 5-7 step drops from the shotgun. And I think theirs some differences in how the O line blocks for passing plays. And theres more reads in Gaileys offense. Other than that, theres not a huge difference between most types of spread.

For one thing Fitz doesnt take 5-7 step drops from the shotgun. And I think theirs some differences in how the O line blocks for passing plays. And theres more reads in Gaileys offense. Other than that, theres not a huge difference between most types of spread.

I'm sorry I didn't realize you were quoting the article. You posted like you were breaking down the OSU's offense.

Yes in Seattle's Seagulls offense there will be more of a learning curve than in Buffalo.

Either way Weeden, is good size, strong arm, and makes great decisions, especially in the Money Zone (Purple Zone) what ever you want to call being inside the 35 in scoring position.

That translates very well to the NFL. Now can he do it with much more pressure than he saw at OSU. I think he can. I think an NFL team will think he can too.

I'm sorry I didn't realize you were quoting the article. You posted like you were breaking down the OSU's offense.

Yes in Seattle's Seagulls offense there will be more of a learning curve than in Buffalo.

Either way Weeden, is good size, strong arm, and makes great decisions, especially in the Money Zone (Purple Zone) what ever you want to call being inside the 35 in scoring position.

That translates very well to the NFL. Now can he do it with much more pressure than he saw at OSU. I think he can. I think an NFL team will think he can too.

I do to, I just don't see it in the first. The earliest I could, see him going off the board is to Cleveland in the second.

Weeden would provide some nice competition for Fitz, a guy to change it up on those days Fitz can't throw the ball. But the guy I'd like is San Diego State’s Ryan Lindley. He's looked real good with a big arm. Take him late and develop as #2 on the bench.