What is a #1 WR in the NFL?

A WR that can have huge days despite being double and triple teamed almost every play. Scores TD's, makes bad QB's look good. Doesn't "need" another good WR to draw away coverage. IMO, that's a true #1.

Guys like Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Even AJ Green...

The last two weeks from CJ may have been the most amazing WR performances I have ever seen. He constantly breaks huge plays, even though the defense knows he is getting the ball. 3 DB's at a time still can't stop him. Stafford can throw him the Ball anywhere in a 15 yard window knowing CJ will make the catch.

He was just as amazing in college with mediocre talent around him.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

People say that we need a "true" #1 WR, what does that mean?

Please keep it objective. The subjective things like "Doesn't get 15 yard demonstration penalties" don't count. T.O. got tons of those, or is the reason players get them now, and he was a #1 WR in his prime, right?

Fire Away.

The same thing as a franchise QB.

PTR

a "true #1" receiver is a subjective label, so how are you/me/we going to make an objective determination?

stats-wise, look here: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byposition?pos=WR&conference=NFL&year=season_2011&sort=28&timeframe=ToDate

you can sort by receptions, TDs, yards, etc.

objectively, you can argue that players like laurent robinson and jordy nelson are "true #1" wrs. they arent even considered the #1 receivers on their respective teams. wes welker always needs to be accounted for when he steps on the field, and has ridiculous stats, but doesnt fit into the mold that pops in mind when thinking of "true #1s," like megatron or larry fitzgerald.

not trying to bash the OP, i'm just saying a lot more goes into true #1 label than objective measures.

and if this is a stevie johnson thread in disguise - i'll say the only argument against stevie's true #1 status is the drops in crunch time. which i realize is pretty subjective until you define "Crunch time." and of course, dropped passes is an unofficial stat, so... whatever.

Stevie Johnson is a #1 WR he's just not a top 5 #1 or even a top 10 #1- I rate him as the 16th best WR but could entertain arguments anywhere 14th to 20th - maybe you'd come out with a different rating (I used the very scientific method of asking myself what WRs I would trade Stevie Johnson if offered)

Gailey says the media puts that heading of #1 or 32 on guys he doesn't he just believes they are good football players but my interpretation of a #1 is Blakmon & of course Rice , Johnson in Detroit , Fitzgerld !!

I would call him the go to guy when the game is on the line :worthy: !!

Please keep it objective. The subjective things like "Doesn't get 15 yard demonstration penalties" don't count. T.O. got tons of those, or is the reason players get them now, and he was a #1 WR in his prime, right?

Fire Away.

I have an opening in my fantasy football league next year if you're interested.

Fire Away.

One useful defintion might be based on the reaction other teams have to the player:

You're a #1 WR if the opposing team makes a point of putting their best CB on you, and/or doubles you often.

To me - the easiest way to identify a top difference-maker at almost any position but QB is to simply ask - does this guy create frequent matchup problems, to the extent that "average" opposing teams have to often use two players to resolve the matchup.

As soon as a team has to double someone - be it a WR or a DLinemen, then they are sacrificing resources at another part of their formatio and you have developed a huge edge.

Dareus was attracting constant double's later in the season which was huge - can you imagine how much havok a healthy KW could have created was still in there while teams were committing two players to stopping the rookie?

By this definition, I think Stevie demonstrated he was a "real #1" albeit not a dominant one like a Johnson/Johnson/Fitzgerald. The way he was able to defeat Revis was a really big deal. If he caught that wide open ball near the end of the game (at the Jets 15 or so) all anyone would be talking about would be his domination of Revis Isalnd. Sadly, his occasional awful drops - way more than his endzone antics - are holding him back from being a top-5 kind of WR.

For other positions, such as a top CB, it's the opposite - it is a big deal on the opposite end if they never need double-help.

Fire Away.

Great question, man. I would say you have to meet two criteria:

1) Versatile (e.g., catch balls over middle, go deep, in traffic, in redzone, etc.)

2) Can get open most of the time, even against good corners and double teams

I will say that I think SJ is right there with the #1's in the league.

It's depending on who you ask. Most of the anit SJ posters on this board say he is not a true number 1 WR. They classify a true number 1 as being in the same group as Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Brandon Marshall, Roddy White, Santonio Holmes and a few others. These Same peope are usually the ones that also classified Lee Evans (hilariously) as a true number 1 when he's never come close to producing similar numbers to the others mentioned.

Then there's the level headed people of our fanbase that strongly feel that SJ is a true number 1 and you don't have to be Megatron or Andre Johnson to be a true number 1. There are 32 number 1 WRs in this league and plenty of others that could produce in the same way if given the chance to start or be the featured WR.

A true number 1 has no problems running any routes asked of him. Able to get open and provide a target for his QB no matter what or who the coverage is.

So my personal opinion on Stevie which I assume this is the point of this thread is that even though he had what many thought was a true number 1 in Evans opposite him and he still clearly ruled the WR position in Buffalo.

He then lost Lee on the other side and most haters here said he would never be able to do it without a true number 1 on the other side. He did. He accumulated almost the same exact number of receptions and yards and was short a few TDs but honeslty might have had another 1-2 if he wasn't pulled from that NE game.

The last point I'd like to make about Stevie AND a true number 1 WR is this. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY has been able to make Revis look absolutely helpless and Stevie did that. He had a TD and a great game (can't look up stats at the moment) and let's be honest, Fitz missed him once and he missed Fitz once and that would have been a rediculous game against the one DB that many people say is the best since Deion Sanders.

I hope my sarcasm and points straightened some things out. Oh, I think it goes without saying we should sign Stevie.