Players I don't think will be back

This upcoming offseason will be extremely important as I believe Gailey will be fighting for his job next season. Despite Mr Wilson's plea for patience and lowering the expectations by saying it will take a few more years to build a winner, the ticket sales will dictate a different strategy. In that background, a key step is making important personnel moves. While acquiring talent is important, it is also crucial to know when to cut the cord and give opportunities to other personnel to improve the team. Here are my picks for players who may not be Bills in 2012:

-Roscoe Parrish: Today it was reported that Nix has not made up his mind. His contract is up and considering his inability to stay on the field, he is a player who occupies a roster spot and has the coaches draw up offensive strategies in the offseason only to see them dashed when he goes down again.

- McKelvin: This will be a semi-surprise. McK finally showed some flashes in the return game, suffice to say that he has underperformed. Even if we forget his draft position, he is just not an instinctive and smart CB. He is signed through 2012 but Nix will try to trade him and if we get anything of value, he may be history

- Reggie Corner: his contract is up. He is okay under desperate conditions but he is too small and not a very good DB. I think he will not be back unless we just need some CBs for depth (and esp if McK indeed is traded/cut)

On the bubble:

- Troup: He is an enigma. We just dont know how good a contributor he will be as he hasn't seen the field enough to show us what he has. Perhaps he should have had the back surgery a long time back, but I am no doctor. We have good DTs in Williams, Dareus and maybe Heard. If Troup does not have a good camp, his job with the Bills may be in jeapordy

Opinions? Thoughts ?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't see them letting McKelvin go if he is not a FA this offseason, its just creating another hole at a position the GM has said you can never have enough players at. I don't see any of the current players being let go unless someone better at their spot comes in and beats them out for it in OTA's and Training camp.

I do see the writing on the wall for Roscoe though, sounds like they really want to keep him because they like what he brings to the game, but its completly useless if he is on IR every year.

This upcoming offseason will be extremely important as I believe Gailey will be fighting for his job next season. Despite Mr Wilson's plea for patience and lowering the expectations by saying it will take a few more years to build a winner, the ticket sales will dictate a different strategy. In that background, a key step is making important personnel moves. While acquiring talent is important, it is also crucial to know when to cut the cord and give opportunities to other personnel to improve the team. Here are my picks for players who may not be Bills in 2012:

-Roscoe Parrish: Today it was reported that Nix has not made up his mind. His contract is up and considering his inability to stay on the field, he is a player who occupies a roster spot and has the coaches draw up offensive strategies in the offseason only to see them dashed when he goes down again.

- McKelvin: This will be a semi-surprise. McK finally showed some flashes in the return game, suffice to say that he has underperformed. Even if we forget his draft position, he is just not an instinctive and smart CB. He is signed through 2012 but Nix will try to trade him and if we get anything of value, he may be history

- Reggie Corner: his contract is up. He is okay under desperate conditions but he is too small and not a very good DB. I think he will not be back unless we just need some CBs for depth (and esp if McK indeed is traded/cut)

On the bubble:

- Troup: He is an enigma. We just dont know how good a contributor he will be as he hasn't seen the field enough to show us what he has. Perhaps he should have had the back surgery a long time back, but I am no doctor. We have good DTs in Williams, Dareus and maybe Heard. If Troup does not have a good camp, his job with the Bills may be in jeapordy

Opinions? Thoughts ?

Corner is as good as gone, he was released last year anyway and only brought back due to injuries. On top of that The Bills have some decent young depth, and Gailey went out of his way to say he is looking for 2 more Corners...Corner is obviously not one of them.

McKelvin is under contract, so I doubt they let him go...But it wouldn't be a surprise, or any great loss really. His best asset is as a KR/PR, why the Bill haven't used him more in that aspect is a mystery to me...And if they keep him, I'd have to think that is a reason why.

Parish - Everything seems to indicate he is gone (about time IMO). The guy has flashes of talent, but he just can't overcome his size. The Bills lack of WR depth is the only thing that even gives him a chance to stay.

I doubt the Bills cut Troup if he shows up to camp "healthy", but they probably should. I never thought he was good even before the injury, and the back problem is something that may never go away. Time to cut our losses there.

They can't afford to let Leodis AND Corner go.

In fact, with McGee all but got, they can hardly afford to let ONE of them go. And if one of them does go (with McGee), the odds of grabbing a CB with the #10 pick sky rocket.

That's the reality of our DB situation.

Forget about Williams?

Forget about Williams?

Nope.

I'll say it again:

McGee-gone

Corner-prob gone.

That leaves:

McKelvin

Rodgers

Williams

Florence

You simply CANNOT march out a team on gameday that only has four decent corner backs. Especially when you have an AFCE rival (Patriots*) who so regularly spreads you out, ESPECIALLY when the entire LEAGUE has adopted a pass-first approach and (from the lips of our own GM) you spend 47% of your snaps in the Nickel. If that's the case, then 75% of our CB's (right now) played nearly half of all the defensive snaps.

WE NEED A CB OR TWO. Be it draft or FA, it's GOING TO HAPPEN. And letting guys go (McGee, because of injuries doesn't fall into this category), will only create holes and give the perpetual naysayers the opportunity to rail the FO for digging themselves deeper and deeper.

It's a ****ty situation to be in (from a fan-satisfaction standpoint). People will be pissed if you re-sign and pick up more DB's, people will be pissed if you trim the fat and plug the holes with highly coveted off season resources that could be applied to other areas of what some folks have deemed "greater" need.

Nope.

I'll say it again:

McGee-gone

Corner-prob gone.

That leaves:

McKelvin

Rodgers

Williams

Florence

You simply CANNOT march out a team on gameday that only has four decent corner backs. Especially when you have an AFCE rival (Patriots*) who so regularly spreads you out, ESPECIALLY when the entire LEAGUE has adopted a pass-first approach and (from the lips of our own GM) you spend 47% of your snaps in the Nickel. If that's the case, then 75% of our CB's (right now) played nearly half of all the defensive snaps.

WE NEED A CB OR TWO. Be it draft or FA, it's GOING TO HAPPEN. And letting guys go (McGee, because of injuries doesn't fall into this category), will only create holes and give the perpetual naysayers the opportunity to rail the FO for digging themselves deeper and deeper.

It's a ****ty situation to be in (from a fan-satisfaction standpoint). People will be pissed if you re-sign and pick up more DB's, people will be pissed if you trim the fat and plug the holes with highly coveted off season resources that could be applied to other areas of what some folks have deemed "greater" need.

Just checking. I agree with all of that. Be prepared for TBD anger when the Bills draft a CB, even though it's needed...

McKelvin is under contract, so I doubt they let him go...But it wouldn't be a surprise, or any great loss really. His best asset is as a KR/PR, why the Bill haven't used him more in that aspect is a mystery to me...And if they keep him, I'd have to think that is a reason why.

lack of depth better then him at the CB position, and plenty of return guys as good or better ahead of him kept him playing CB more then risking injury returning kicks. I think he returns kicks more this upcoming season with Roscoe most likely gone, Spiller playing a more active role in the offence and upgrading the CB position

I think Parrish along with Mcgee will be gone because of their injury history nothing to do with their play , Mckelvin i think will stay at least one more year to take the place in the return game that with Mcgee & Parrish being gone he can fill until he sees about the rookie that did some returns at the end of the year (can't remember his name)

But the return game will save Mckelvin because he can return & is O.K. at the CB position so he is a duel threat and with that a depth player .

Troup will be given the luxury of seeing what he can do now that he has had surgery to fix his back . This year i think he could be a depth player & a slight possibility that he could be extended if he has a good showing to a short term contract for the NFL minimum to continue to see if he becomes what they thought he might be , b/c he is still pretty young !!!

Buddy has been very clear about team needs and the top of the list are pass rushing DEs and OLB. And yes, that's DEs in the plural. He also has been clear that "you can never have enough CBs." He's also on the lookout for an OT. FA signings will clarify who Nix will go for in the draft. BTW, his remarks also have me thinking that Danny Batten might be looking for work elsewhere.

lack of depth better then him at the CB position, and plenty of return guys as good or better ahead of him kept him playing CB more then risking injury returning kicks. I think he returns kicks more this upcoming season with Roscoe most likely gone, Spiller playing a more active role in the offence and upgrading the CB position

I hear what you are saying, in this post and the previous. But this FO does not ensure we have replacements before cutting those they think do not fit the team's strategy (for better or worse). Aaron Williams and Justin Rogers are our definites. Based on injury (McGee) and underperformance (McK, Corner), we may be looking for a lot of CB help. But that is just my take on it.

The consensus so far, in this thread, is that McK stays. I think he goes if we get something in a trade. I too doubt he will be cut outright.

I think it depends on what we do in free agency and draft with Leodis...it wouldn't shock me if they tried to trade him....

I think Troupe will be back.....for another year to see if he had anything after the back surgery. They really should have done better homework on his back issues before they drafted......back troubles are a killer for a D Linemen

On the bubble:

Opinions? Thoughts ?

I think Roscoe Parrish is done. He was a great punt returner for the Bills, but he's been oft injured and I do not see him being that big of a contributor.

Leodis McKelvin stays. While he is inconsistent he is a player of value and I see no reason to let him go and make another hole on defense. He also has shown that he is good as a punt returner too.

Reggie Corner could go either way. He's a back-up player and has been around a few years, but he'll have to fight hard in camp to stay.

Torrell Troup definitely stays. Gailey & Nix will not give up on him after 2 years. Although Troup has an uphill battle to stay relevant. Kellen Heard made a strong case for himself to play for this team.

Other thoughts:

Terrence Mcgee. If there is one CB in danger of being released it's McGee. Not as young as he used to be and getting injured more often will hurt his chances, with younger players like McKelvin & A.Williams around.

Bryan Scott. While he will not cost a lot of money, the Bills are in an interesting spot here if they want to keep this veteran player or give Da'Norris Searcy more playing time.

Spencer Johnson. Here's another enigma. Is he a starter or a back-up? A DE or an LB? Has he been that effective on this defense?

Andra Davis. Remember this guy? Got replaced by Kelvin Sheppard early on in the season and then just vanished. He was a team captain and probably provides leadership on a young team, but is that enough for him to stay?

Edited by Mark Vader

No one is likely to offer Parrish a big chunk of money although someone could take a gamble on him. Just re-sign him very cheap with performance and durability bonuses. Go into the season with re-signed Stevie, the big #2 Nix wants either in FA or draft, Jones and Easley, Nelson and Parrish, with Aiken on the PS squad again. He will be a wildcard. If he's healthy, great, if he is not, we have plenty of talent around.

When healthy, this can be an explosive group.

Also, McKelvin still has a ton of talent. Maybe if we get a new DB coach, and use one of those electronic dog collars on Leodis during OTAs and training camp. And as soon as the WR looks for the ball, if Leodis doesn't look immediately for it too, he gets zapped like getting too close to the electronic fence.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

On the bubble:

Opinions? Thoughts ?

Parrish - agree he will be gone.

McKelvin - he is under contract and will stay. He has all the tools in the world but his instincts are not that of a natural football player. Still, he can be coached up and will contribute.

Corner - gone. The kids they drafted in 2011 are already ahead of him and they will draft another corner in 2012.

Troup - not gone. One of Nix's primary picks in 2010. Unless his injury problems are so bad that he cannot play, he will get another year to show his stuff.

Others that may be be gone:

McGee - tank is running on empty.

Bell - he could stay if he takes what is offered but with Nix saying he is going to draft a tackle this could mean that maybe he has no plan to make an offer. He will find another team that will pay him more than we will.

Chandler - scary to think that we would not lock him up but we are the Buffalo Bills.

Easley - injuries, questionable hands, and no NFL game experience could do him in as we are going to bring in more WRs.

A bunch of current roster linebackers will be gone - we need to do a lot here to improve this cast.

Edited by Bob in STL

I think Troupe will be back.....for another year to see if he had anything after the back surgery. They really should have done better homework on his back issues before they drafted......back troubles are a killer for a D Linemen

He didn't have back issues before they drafted him, it's one of those TBD myths.