Chef Jim meets Bourdain for advice

BuffaloBill

BTW thanks for sharing this. I've seen ads for this but I don't watch the tube too much so I missed it. So whenever someone asks why the !@#$ I moved to this dirty, bum laden, liberal haven I will tell them to watch this. The country's best drinking and town......HELL YEAH!!

Oh yeah, and there's some pretty damn good food here too.

BTW thanks for sharing this. I've seen ads for this but I don't watch the tube too much so I missed it. So whenever someone asks why the !@#$ I moved to this dirty, bum laden, liberal haven I will tell them to watch this. The country's best drinking and town......HELL YEAH!!

Oh yeah, and there's some pretty damn good food here too.

I thought it was good except for the tiki bar :censored: I figured he only put that on because the Fairmont gave him and his crew rooms gratis. I'm not so sure I get the pop up scene. It isn't like you can't find authentic ethic foods on the cheap elsewhere. This is especially true for Vietnamese food like a bowl of pho is going to set you back.

I thought it was good except for the tiki bar :censored: I figured he only put that on because the Fairmont gave him and his crew rooms gratis. I'm not so sure I get the pop up scene. It isn't like you can't find authentic ethic foods on the cheap elsewhere. This is especially true for Vietnamese food like a bowl of pho is going to set you back.

No the Tonga room is a SF icon. Every now and then the Fairmont threatens to close it and the uproar is crazy. We do ForageSF and it's kind of a pop up. It's a invite only for members. A pre fix menu and they don't tell you where it is until the day of the event. It's the fact that it's 100% illegal. I hate the health department so to me these pop ups are a huge !@#$ you to them.

Also there is a very cool speakeasy we go to. You'll recognize about 10% of the bottles behind the bar. The mixed drinks are !@#$ing amazing. All their liquors are served neat with a water back only if asked. I'm hoping for a good month so I can order the $75 bourbon.

Oh and BTW it looks like Tony got a little buzzed. It's hard not to in this city. The Friday before Christmas eve my wife and I hit several places and walked 2 miles home. Staggering and giggling the whole way. We got !@#$ing poluted on New Years eve. Done by 4:00pm. :beer:

No the Tonga room is a SF icon. Every now and then the Fairmont threatens to close it and the uproar is crazy. We do ForageSF and it's kind of a pop up. It's a invite only for members. A pre fix menu and they don't tell you where it is until the day of the event. It's the fact that it's 100% illegal. I hate the health department so to me these pop ups are a huge !@#$ you to them.

Also there is a very cool speakeasy we go to. You'll recognize about 10% of the bottles behind the bar. The mixed drinks are !@#$ing amazing. All their liquors are served neat with a water back only if asked. I'm hoping for a good month so I can order the $75 bourbon.

Oh and BTW it looks like Tony got a little buzzed. It's hard not to in this city. The Friday before Christmas eve my wife and I hit several places and walked 2 miles home. Staggering and giggling the whole way. We got !@#$ing poluted on New Years eve. Done by 4:00pm. :beer:

It is an amazing scene as much of the rest of the country goes to the culinary version of the hourglass. Some expensive and good high end restaurants at the top of the hourglass and then bs fast food or chains at the other. The middle.... The mom and pop and truly authentic ethnic places are being squeezed out. It is simply amazing to see the depth and breadth of food available in and around SF.

It is an amazing scene as much of the rest of the country goes to the culinary version of the hourglass. Some expensive and good high end restaurants at the top of the hourglass and then bs fast food or chains at the other. The middle.... The mom and pop and truly authentic ethnic places are being squeezed out. It is simply amazing to see the depth and breadth of food available in and around SF.

And it has so motivated me. I've been curing my own meat (sopressata, duck prosciutto, bresaola) and making my own cheese (mozzarella, goat and cow milk camembert), smoking my own meats. But after watching this we have to start heading out to these small places.

Ok so he's an uppity white trash redneck wannabe......

Geez guys, the insult the previous poster is in the other thread. :cry:

And it has so motivated me. I've been curing my own meat (sopressata, duck prosciutto, bresaola) and making my own cheese (mozzarella, goat and cow milk camembert), smoking my own meats. But after watching this we have to start heading out to these small places.

Very cool. I did half a smoked salmon on the BGE a while back. Guests that I had liked its so much they offered to buy me more salmon and supplies to make them some. I am also looking forward to making my own sausages for smoking. I've not been brave enough to try the charcuterie as you have done but maybe I'll get there.

Geez guys, the insult the previous poster is in the other thread. :cry:

Well you did burn me pretty good over there :lol::lol:

Very cool. I did half a smoked salmon on the BGE a while back. Guests that I had liked its so much they offered to buy me more salmon and supplies to make them some. I am also looking forward to making my own sausages for smoking. I've not been brave enough to try the charcuterie as you have done but maybe I'll get there.

Let me know if you venture to the salty cured pig parts I'll give you some advice. Wait......no..........:unsure:

I like this show. Boudain getting a little full of himself lately, but these Layover shows have been good. Must say, he did look toasty in this one..as well as the one in Amsterdam.

I also say Fug those popups..I don't want to be standing a warehouse eating when I go out for dinner..drunk at 12 AM..yes.Dinner at 8..no. And yes I am old and my late night drunk food binge is now at 12..not 3AM :doh:

BTW, this Rocco Dispirto guy had a food truck right outside of my appointment yesterday...food was fricken HORRIBLE!!! How did that guy get to be famous.

Be warned Chef, i be coming to your burg on Monday for 4 nights with a bunch of other liqoured up software sales guys...

I get in Monday afternoon..going to go that ham place you suggested..drinks on me Monday night!!!!

Edited by plenzmd1

i be coming to your burg on Monday for 4 nights with a bunch of other liqoured up software sales guys...

I get in Monday afternoon..going to go that ham place you suggested..drinks on me Monday night!!!!

I am jealous...have to figure out a business trip to SF that I can extend for a day or two. The ham joint looks awesome ..

I like this show. Boudain getting a little full of himself lately, but these Layover shows have been good. Must say, he did look toasty in this one..as well as the one in Amsterdam.

I noticed this as well. Got turned off of "No Reservations" when he kinda started knocking the US a bit. I can't remember an example though.

I also say Fug those popups..I don't want to be standing a warehouse eating when I go out for dinner..drunk at 12 AM..yes.Dinner at 8..no. And yes I am old and my late night drunk food binge is now at 12..not 3AM :doh:

BTW, this Rocco Dispirto guy had a food truck right outside of my appointment yesterday...food was fricken HORRIBLE!!! How did that guy get to be famous.

Be warned Chef, i be coming to your burg on Monday for 4 nights with a bunch of other liqoured up software sales guys...

I'll be in Napa Monday but I could be convinced to have you buy me a drink that night. :D