Is Bell a goner for sure, per Buddy 'priority to draft an LT"?

zazie

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not listen to it together with all of them? They might be able to help him understand whats being said better?

I can understand the confusion though, its been such a busy offseason so far for the Bills. Look at whats already happened

1. The have already lost Stevie and Bell to other teams that signed them in FA

2. Buddy Nix has abruptly retired, pulling a Marv and bolting before finishing

3. Buddys heir has bolted to be the new GM in indy, right before being given the same position with the Bills

4. The bills reach for another bust in the first round this year and pass on multiple HOFers in the draft

5. They drafted more DB's and not all Linemen

6. They didn't trade picks to move back and get more picks (or forward to select a HOFer) in the draft

7. The Dolphins made the playoffs in 2012 all because they signed Jeff Fisher to be their head coach

8. Every NFL team goes 19-0 in 2012 and win the SB while Buffalo goes 0-16

9. Every fan of every NFL team gets a trouphy and awards for being fans of their team except Bills fans who are mocked and laughed at everywhere they go, being shunned and forced to move to Cuba

10. Ralph Wilson revealed that he is a Cyborg who will live forever, then announced he is relocating the team to LA where he immediatly spent every dime he has to build a perrenial SB winner

:worthy:

Before the 2010 draft, Buddy implied very strongly that he felt there were only two OTs worth their weight at the Bills pick (#9).

The comment was interpreted that he would pick Trent Williams or Russell Okung if either were available.

Williams went at #4 and Okung went at #6.

So that's one clue.

Since that time, some things have changed and some things haven't.

I remember those comments well...Of course The Bills passed on 2 OT's that year that have gone on and started a lot of games playing pretty well for the #1 and #2 seeds in the NFC...While both Williams and Okung have pretty clearly underachieved to this point...But I digress...

I wonder what Grades the Bills will have on Reiff and Martin in comparison to Williams and Okung...Or in comparison to Bulaga and Davis...While I don't think The Bills will take an OT at #10, I do wonder if they may pass on a really, really good prospect...And outside of Jeffery I'm not sure I see many prospects at #10 that I like much more than Williams... B-)

I remember those comments well...Of course The Bills passed on 2 OT's that year that have gone on and started a lot of games playing pretty well for the #1 and #2 seeds in the NFC...While both Williams and Okung have pretty clearly underachieved to this point...But I digress...

I wonder what Grades the Bills will have on Reiff and Martin in comparison to Williams and Okung...Or in comparison to Bulaga and Davis...While I don't think The Bills will take an OT at #10, I do wonder if they may pass on a really, really good prospect...And outside of Jeffery I'm not sure I see many prospects at #10 that I like much more than Williams... B-)

Well at this point Anthony Davis and Bryan Bulaga are doing pretty well and might some day make the Pro Bowl as right tackles. Or maybe they'll someday swing over to the left side and take over for Joe Staley and Chad Clifton.

I'm pretty glad that we drafted CJ at this point. I was so close to writing him off as a bust and then he really flashed his brilliance in that Tennessee game and finished the season so strong. I'd rather have CJ than a good right tackle when talking about the 9th pick overall.

That said I'm not against drafting an LOT this year if it's clearly the best value.

Allow me to make this analogy.

If you're in the market for a 2007 Rav4 and you see two that meet your design criteria, one will cost 12,500, the other 9,500, which will you choose. Some will take the lower amount. But, if you look into it, the one at 12,500 has less mileage and a clean Carfax report. The one for 9,500 has more mileage and has a Carfax report that shows a couple of accidents. The majority... or the sensible folk are going to eliminate the one with the bad carfax automatically.

Unless carfax isn't accurate, which by the way it isn't. A total scam and waste of money. sorry to drift off the thread but.....

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/used-cars/reliability/reality-check-how-useful-are-used-car-history-reports/overview/index.htm

Edited by Webster Guy

On the other hand, Buddy has mentioned addressing the offensive line every off-season and hasn't done anything via the draft other than Hairston.

That's not entirely true, he used a 5th & 7th pick on OT his first draft, who have both been cut. Before that draft he told the media that OT was a "priority". Then after the draft when asked why no OT early he stated that nobody fell to him.

As scary as LT was this year with G Levitre trying to fill in, it was even more scary when he started at Center. Whats also more worrisome is at center when Wood is 5x better then any other lineman on the roster. When he is in there the line is definitely better, and as far as I'm concerned that position is just as important as LT.The bills had an adequate backup center in Hangartner, but cut him in preseason.

This team is incredibly lucky they have Fitz at QB who can set protections and get the ball out most plays in under 3 seconds, otherwise that O line would be so exposed. Not to mention that he can almost get it done with a cast of semi scrubs at WR &TE

That's not entirely true, he used a 5th & 7th pick on OT his first draft, who have both been cut. Before that draft he told the media that OT was a "priority". Then after the draft when asked why no OT early he stated that nobody fell to him.

Yes, I know that. This is precisely what I meant. Taking a pair of stiffs in the draft (or in free agency, Buddy did that too) hardly solves problems.

I'm pretty glad that we drafted CJ at this point. I was so close to writing him off as a bust and then he really flashed his brilliance in that Tennessee game and finished the season so strong. I'd rather have CJ than a good right tackle when talking about the 9th pick overall.

Trent Richardson is being touted on some sites as a top 10 pick. Some say he goes later. Who would you rather have on the Bills, CJ Spiller or Trent Richardson?

Signing Bell with a disclaimer offer might be best. See what Hairston develops into. And if we draft a LT in 1st so be it.

I will consider these guys depth at this point till proven otherwise. Mr Nix says you cant have too many tackles. well that is just not realistic, of course you can. One pro bowl LT, one solid backup a rookie and a player who can move from side to side is exactly enough.

FWIW, San Diego never used a first round pick on an OT during Nix's tenure in SD. It wasn't until 2006 when they used a second on Marcus McNeill and otherwise they never used anything before a fifth on an OT during his 8 years there.

For all the credit people give Nix for the SD drafts, their picks in 2006-08 haven't been much. Nix basically equaled Marv/Modrak/Jauron/Brandon in the same time period.

Edited by BillsVet