WR Coach Stan Hixon leaves Bills…

Hixon is the third member of the Bills coaching staff to leave this offseason.

QB Coach George Cortez, fired D-Coordinator George Edwards, and now Hixon.

He'll join Bill O'Brien's staff as they pick up the pieces at Penn State.

http://www.philly.co.../inq-pennstate/

Sorry if this was already posted.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Is it just me or is it interesting that the QB Coach and the WR Coach have gone elsewhere?

Three coaches gone within 2 weeks of the season and rumors of changes on the defensive staff?

When the smoke clears we might be looking at an overhaul of the coaching staff.

I remember it stuck out in my mind today when Buddy said "Chan's done a good job."

Hixon is the third member of the Bills coaching staff to leave this offseason.

QB Coach George Cortez, fired D-Coordinator George Edwards, and now Hixon.

He'll join Bill O'Brien's staff as they pick up the pieces at Penn State.

http://www.philly.co.../inq-pennstate/

Sorry if this was already posted.

Cortez taking a HC job on a CFL contender is arguably a step up.

Hixon going to coach WR at Penn State, hmmmm not so much I think.

There were comments in several pressers about needing to get the WR in the places they needed to be. Coinky-dink?

Is it just me or is it interesting that the QB Coach and the WR Coach have gone elsewhere?

Three coaches gone within 2 weeks of the season and rumors of changes on the defensive staff?

I remember it stuck out in my mind today when Buddy said "Chan's done a good job."

There are going to be changes if we want improvement. When Chan took the job he brought in guys that he felt he could work with. So, after two years it was clear to the world that Edwards had to go but if you look at how our wideout's frequently ran to positions two yards short of a first down and other errors that can be directed towards the coach.

As for Cortez, that was clearly a promotion ... but we still will see other heads roll I am sure!

I don't know if Cortez or Nixon were good or bad, but filling coaching positions with quality people sounds tough. Who wants to come to a losing team? Do they pay as well in Buffalo as they do elsewhere? Do you end up taking chances with guys who have never coached at this level before?

I wonder if more moves could be made, since the positions that I feel were not playing up to potential were cornerbacks and outside linebackers. I never thought the quarterback or wide receivers were poorly coached, but I admit I am not really sure what the responsibilities of those position coaches are.

1326161597[/url]' post='2359099']

Let's hope so. I wouldn't mind replacing everyone. We need some new fire, especially since we're keeping gailey and stache. It seemed as if the team quit on the coaches during the losing streak. Or maybe we were just that bad due to injuries.

SJBF, I think that Nix dropped hints in that presser like TO dropped passes.

Agreed.

It was a long presser and he said a lot of things.

Some of what he said was direct and straight-forward.

Some of what he said was implied.

I found it to be one of the most interesting GM interviews I've ever listened to.

People who didn't listen to it oughta do so.

http://podcast.wgr550.com/wgr2/3258790.mp3

There are going to be changes if we want improvement. When Chan took the job he brought in guys that he felt he could work with. So, after two years it was clear to the world that Edwards had to go but if you look at how our wideout's frequently ran to positions two yards short of a first down and other errors that can be directed towards the coach.

As for Cortez, that was clearly a promotion ... but we still will see other heads roll I am sure!

I don't know if the blame on receivers running routes 2 yard short etc. is all poor coaching.

This isn't pop warner here, and lets face it some of these guys had no place in the NFL. And if

not for the bills some of these guys wouldn't be. Still, no problem replacing these coaches, they certainly

have done anything special at all.

I don't know if Cortez or Nixon were good or bad, but filling coaching positions with quality people sounds tough. Who wants to come to a losing team? Do they pay as well in Buffalo as they do elsewhere? Do you end up taking chances with guys who have never coached at this level before?

I wonder if more moves could be made, since the positions that I feel were not playing up to potential were cornerbacks and outside linebackers. I never thought the quarterback or wide receivers were poorly coached, but I admit I am not really sure what the responsibilities of those position coaches are.

There are more than 32 good wr coaches in the world. Anyone who wants to coach at this level will take that job. In this business your only as relevant and much as your around. Coaches and players can't afford to take years off and come back. Its just the next man up

One was fired which was very expected, but two offensive coaches leaving on their own is never a good thing.

Now not only are there holes regarding players, but in the coaching staff as well.

Hopefully they can get at least comparable (if not better) replacements.

Edited by CodeMonkey

One was fired which was very expected, but two offensive coaches leaving on their own is never a good thing.

Now not only are there holes regarding players, but in the coaching staff as well.

How so?

Once a coach teaches what he knows.... The next guy in will teach what he knows and maybe it's something the first didn't really address or emphasize.

Anyway, it's not like Messrs. Hixon and Cortez were the heart of the offense. I do wish them well, especially going into the situation at Penn State right now. That program/school needs solid leaders after being betrayed by a coach whose myth turned out to be so much more than the man. I have a ton of respect that Hixon wants to be part of rebuilding the pieces.

Edited by UConn James

It's also possible that the departed QB and WR coaches were asked to find other opportunities and that Gailey was looking to upgrade his staff.

How so?

One of the reasons for keeping Gailey was stability. In Gaileys pass happy offense these two assistants would be the most important (along with the line coach).

Certainly not a death blow to the Bills, particularly after the dirty dozen. But if stability is something desired, coaches leaving on their own is not a good thing.

A good job at what?? He picked every one of these coaches.