Stephen King's Latest - "11/22/63"

ajzepp

So I know there are a lot of Stephen King fans on TBD, and a few months ago I happened to check and see what he was up to. He had a new book coming out in November called 11/22/63 that sounded very interesting to me. The book is about a guy who goes back in time in an attempt to thwart the Kennedy assassination. I've always been fascinated by the idea of being able to go back in time and it's always been fun to think about the possibilities of what could be done. Well I'm about 200 pages into this 800 page book and have really enjoyed it so far. King has touched upon a lot of the things I would think about should I ever find myself in that position, but he's also brought up many ideas and concepts that I hadn't even considered.

If you had the power to go back in time, where would you go? What would you do? Would any part of you want to stay if you could or would you definitely want to come back? If you think about it, it's actually really interesting, especially to those who have a really developed understanding of history. I think it's obvious that most of us would want to go back to January of 1991, but what else would you want to do? What would you change?

in all good consciousness i would never want to go back in time...i wouldn't want to do anything that would in any way effect not ending up with my 3 kids...sure there are things i'd like to do over, but you know damn well that anything you change would have enormous impacts on everything else, and even in make believe I could not think about not having any or all of my kids....i'll put up with everything i have screwed up...i know its a sappy and boring answer, but its the one you are getting from me....

So I know there are a lot of Stephen King fans on TBD, and a few months ago I happened to check and see what he was up to. He had a new book coming out in November called 11/22/63 that sounded very interesting to me. The book is about a guy who goes back in time in an attempt to thwart the Kennedy assassination. I've always been fascinated by the idea of being able to go back in time and it's always been fun to think about the possibilities of what could be done. Well I'm about 200 pages into this 800 page book and have really enjoyed it so far. King has touched upon a lot of the things I would think about should I ever find myself in that position, but he's also brought up many ideas and concepts that I hadn't even considered.

If you had the power to go back in time, where would you go? What would you do? Would any part of you want to stay if you could or would you definitely want to come back? If you think about it, it's actually really interesting, especially to those who have a really developed understanding of history. I think it's obvious that most of us would want to go back to January of 1991, but what else would you want to do? What would you change?

Saw him do a talk on the book back in November but the books still on the back burner behind two I'm reading now. Really looking forward to it. From what he had to say, and read that night I'm pretty excited.

It's very amazing how much detail he puts into his writing. He's coming up with things about time travel that I never would have thought of. The way he's laying this story out is brilliant, IMO. I just need to stop reading at night, cause I end up getting tired faster than I want to!

in all good consciousness i would never want to go back in time...i wouldn't want to do anything that would in any way effect not ending up with my 3 kids...sure there are things i'd like to do over, but you know damn well that anything you change would have enormous impacts on everything else, and even in make believe I could not think about not having any or all of my kids....i'll put up with everything i have screwed up...i know its a sappy and boring answer, but its the one you are getting from me....

That makes perfect sense to me! I really enjoyed reading what you wrote about having a drink with your son, so it's clear how much they mean to you :thumbsup:

That brings up an interesting dilemma, though...what if you were put in the position of knowing someone ELSE had the ability to travel back in time? Someone you knew personally, perhaps? You may have the very same concerns and fears about that as you would if it were you going back.

Downloaded the free preview on my phone. Going to now buy it. So far, just excellent writing - and I was never a huge Stephen King fan (liked Koontz better). This one is painting quite a crazy picture. Thanks for the suggestion.

You bet. Let us know what you think as you get into it. It really is solid writing, I agree. When I'm not reading it, I find myself contemplating what has transpired so far during the day...can't wait to read more tonight :D

Just finished this book and found it to be excellent. I lost a lot of sleep telling myself 'just one more chapter'. Personally I've been thinking King had lost his mojo, 'Under the Dome' could have been so much better and instead it was tedious reading by the end, but with 11/22/63 he's back on his game.

As a married guy with kids- I can't go back. Can't risk affecting anything that might stop them from happening.

Were I a single guy with a 'butterfly effect be damned' attitude, then I'd probably be greedy and go back to bet some games and buy some stock, and would be tempted to pick the 'free love' era to do it. A rich hippy probably scored a lot of tail back then. :flirt:

Edited by Gavin in Va Beach

I might down load this onto the Kindle.

The book has had many good reviews

To go back in time.....lots of possiblilties.

Nice...I need to get one of those Kindles at some point

Just finished this book and found it to be excellent. I lost a lot of sleep telling myself 'just one more chapter'. Personally I've been thinking King had lost his mojo, 'Under the Dome' could have been so much better and instead it was tedious reading by the end, but with 11/22/63 he's back on his game.

As a married guy with kids- I can't go back. Can't risk affecting anything that might stop them from happening.

Were I a single guy with a 'butterfly effect be damned' attitude, then I'd probably be greedy and go back to bet some games and buy some stock, and would be tempted to pick the 'free love' era to do it. A rich hippy probably scored a lot of tail back then. :flirt:

lol, I know that feeling about the "one more chapter" thing. That's awesome you've already finished it and consider it excellent...I'm looking forward to the rest of the ride!

Supposedly the film version of this book is already in the works...

Nice...I need to get one of those Kindles at some point

lol, I know that feeling about the "one more chapter" thing. That's awesome you've already finished it and consider it excellent...I'm looking forward to the rest of the ride!

Supposedly the film version of this book is already in the works...

I have read everything King has done (with the exception of the Dark Tower stuff where it just got too fantasy like for my taste) Every time I read his stuff I always wonder when the movie version will come out. Unfortunately not all of his books translate well to the big screen. Green Mile worked quite well, as did "The Body" which became the movie "Stand by Me" but of his other books made into movies, I think the directors views and interpretations do not meet the readers expectations and personalizations of the writers work. Just my opinion, but I will be getting his latest on my nook.

I have read everything King has done (with the exception of the Dark Tower stuff where it just got too fantasy like for my taste) Every time I read his stuff I always wonder when the movie version will come out. Unfortunately not all of his books translate well to the big screen. Green Mile worked quite well, as did "The Body" which became the movie "Stand by Me" but of his other books made into movies, I think the directors views and interpretations do not meet the readers expectations and personalizations of the writers work. Just my opinion, but I will be getting his latest on my nook.

There's also Shawshank, Misery, Dolores Clairborne, The Shining, The Dead Zone ... the list goes on. King's stuff translates to the screen so well (and so often -- more than any other author) because he's a tremendously visual writer unlike some novelists. He writes a movie for the mind with his books in my opinion. He's brilliant. Sure, sometimes the director gets in the way, but by and large, his work has produced some fantastic pieces of cinema and television over the years.

What kind of kitty-ass attitude… oh sorry.

Wrong thread.