Buddy Nix press conference today @11am

Buftex

I pulled these update from the Bills web site:

Nix lists WR, OT, pass rusher & good corners as team priorities. Also will look for another LB. 7 minutes ago

Nix says he has full confidence in Ryan Fitzpatrick. 'If we put good people around him, we can get 2 dance w/ Ryan' 8 minutes ago

Nix says team will look to re-sign D. Bell. Also says team will look to draft a tackle at some point in 2012. 9 minutes ago

Nix says a pass rusher is a priority. Says team will be aggressive in acquiring one. 13 minutes ago

Nix says Merriman's in the process of getting healthy. We'll look at him in a couple of months & if he checks out physically he'll be here 14 minutes ago

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow - this press conference is great - he's being WAAAAY more direct than I expected.

Sounds like - as we had hoped but not necessarily expected - he wants Stevie AND another top WR. Wants his own Calvin Johnson - nice.

I'm betting they are targeting Vincent Jackson big time.

Saying it again - "IF WE DON'T GET STEVIE BACK THEN WE NEED TWO". That's pretty no-nonsense. He's not counting Jones/Roscoe/Easely/Nelson - he's talking about "Calvin Johnson (ish)" WR's.

I'm also reading in this that they are planning to go with a base 4-3. He said they need pass rushers - then immediately referred to DE's. LB's were an afterthought.

Sounds like he wants to go FA hard for a DE.

No bones about it - he says next year they should be a playoff team if they can get healthy and fix the spots that need fixing: WR, PassRush, OT, CB. <- somebody correct me if I got that list wrong.

Sounds like he's not completely giving up on Bell but somewhat. Fair - unlike Wood, there's nothing "fluky" about Bell's injuries - they are strength kind of problems.

Edited by BobChalmers

Wow - this press conference is great - he's being WAAAAY more direct than I expected.

Sounds like - as we had hoped but not necessarily expected - he wants Stevie AND another top WR. Wants his own Calvin Johnson - nice.

I'm betting they are targeting Vincent Jackson big time.

Saying it again - "IF WE DON'T GET STEVIE BACK THEN WE NEED TWO". That's pretty no-nonsense. He's not counting Jones/Roscoe/Easely/Nelson - he's talking about "Calvin Johnson (ish)" WR's.

I'm also reading in this that they are planning to go with a base 4-3. He said they need pass rushers - then immediately referred to DE's. LB's were an afterthought.

Sounds like he wants to go FA hard for a DE.

No bones about it - he says next year they should be a playoff team if they can get healthy and fix the spots that need fixing: WR, PassRush, OT, CB. <- somebody correct me if I got that list wrong.

Sounds like he's not completely giving up on Bell but somewhat. Fair - unlike Wood, there's nothing "fluky" about Bell's injuries - they are strength kind of problems.

Buddy... Put Ralph's money where your mouth is!

Three more Twitter updates:

Nix says team is not limited to spending on players. Says he wants to win & that's what he came here to do. 2 minutes ago

Nix says Chan Gailey has done an excellent job especially based on improvement offensively - based on where we were & who he did it with. 10 minutes ago

Nix expects to take a big step next year - if injured guys back healthy, sign our own guys back & add a couple of key pieces. 15 minutes ago

All in all, nothing earth shattering...but it sounds like they do intend to sign Steve Johnson.

I admit I may be overinterpreting - but I really took what he was saying as implying they intend to USE their cap THIS year.

Who is a big pass-rusher likely available in FA? He really sounded like he was going to spend hard to get one.

This may sound dumb, but i'm much more ok with the Bills taking a WR high in the draft if they KEEP Stevie than if they let him go.

That doesn't sound dumb at all. A blue chip receiver prospect would be much more valuable and pay more quickly opposite Stevie J on the field. Without the SJ threat, not so much.

GO BILLS!!!

Sounds like he's not just looking for a receiver but a receiver with size. Which is interesting because they already have pretty good size with the guys they got. I also wonder if Vincent Jackson will be a target if Stevie walks.

This may sound dumb, but i'm much more ok with the Bills taking a WR high in the draft if they KEEP Stevie than if they let him go.

Actually the dumbest thing they can do would be letting him go and drafting a WR. Who would ever think it would be dumb to sign and add??????

Good stuff. I love listening to Buddy and Chan for that matter. Let's face it, Denver is in the AFC semi's and we smoked them a couple weeks ago (without Freddie J, Wood, etc..). The Bills aren't really that far away. They just have to stop getting intimidated by the Jets and get more physical on D. Just a few bodies away. Look what Houston did for their D in just one offseason...and Denver too.