What can we learn from the Broncos?

covac23

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fitz isn't the running threat that Tebow is. That said, I laud your overall point.

Further ammunition: The Bronco's "not working" run game managed to rack up 131 yds, a TD, and 3.9 YPC. That moves the chains, Man, that moves the chains.

They also called 34 run plays to 21 pass plays. When was the last time you saw Buffalo's play calling like that? I'm just saying that we give up on the run game way to early while Denver, even though not being successful early with it, stuck with the run game until the very end. Buffalo abandoned the run game prematurely every game and became one dimensional with the pass and hence became predictable.

Maybe that in this "new passing league" that running the ball can seriously set up the pass game through play action. Maybe sticking with the run throughout the game can still keep the defense guessing. The Broncos run game wasn't working against the Steelers all game, yet they kept trying to run. If that was the Bills, we would've given up on the run after the 1st quarter and gone to Shotgun 5 receiver sets for the rest of the game.

Chan, please try to run the ball to set up the pass instead of passing the ball to set up the run. In my opinion, Tebow is not as good as Fitz, but as we can see, the offensive philosophy matters just as much as the personnel.

What we can learn from the Broncos is how important a pass rush is to a successful defense. A pass rushing, playmaking LB is where we need to go in the draft this year.

Nothing, we beat the **** out of them by an embarrassing margin. They're lucky Pittsburgh was banged up and decided to dare Tebow to throw it deep instead of dare Tebow to be consistent enough to march down the field (he's not).

Exactly. Dick LeBeau lost that game for them.

Maybe that in this "new passing league" that running the ball can seriously set up the pass game through play action. Maybe sticking with the run throughout the game can still keep the defense guessing. The Broncos run game wasn't working against the Steelers all game, yet they kept trying to run. If that was the Bills, we would've given up on the run after the 1st quarter and gone to Shotgun 5 receiver sets for the rest of the game.

Chan, please try to run the ball to set up the pass instead of passing the ball to set up the run. In my opinion, Tebow is not as good as Fitz, but as we can see, the offensive philosophy matters just as much as the personnel.

I agree but I contend that Gailey uses the pass to set up the pass. We have two VERY productive RBs and we don't take advantage of that. For some reason Gailey kept Spiller on the bench when it was show he was very much ready to play. Not only did he play but he excelled and in some statistical categories was better than Jackson.

I'm not taking anything away from Jackson when I say this but:

Fred Jackson 209 touches, 6 TDs

CJ SPiller 146 touches, 6 TDs

I'm not stating this to dis Fred but how do you not use a guy that scores more points per touch than the starter. How does he not get at least 12 touches a game when Fred is healthy? Last 3rd of the season why would we take our TD machine out of games around the goal line and short yardage situations and use Tashard Choice? Why would we throw the ball so much with both of those weapons at our disposal?

Edited by PDaDdy

The Bills thrashed the Broncos. Not sure what they could learn.

And the Rams beat the Saints, and the Chiefs beat the Packers....don't be so obtuse. Because Denver didn't win EVERY SINGLE GAME....whether against good or bad opponents, doesn't mean there isn't something to be learned from the scheme. Teams have good and bad days.

I think the possibility of what Cam Newton, Vick, RG III and Tebow (arguably) can do on any play especially if it is an actual part of the game plan (planned read option runs vs scrambling) can present real headaches for a defense. Despite the "lucky" comment, the steelers took a pick your poison mentality and on sunday, Tebow brought his A++ game and made them pay.

You haven't heard anyone say lucky?!?!?

Marion barber staying inbounds and then fumbling? Dude they defined luck this season.

That being said I don't know if it was lucky for them that Ryan Clark couldn't play or that rapelisburger and pouncey were injured but those all contributed heavily yesterday. The steelers literally limped into the playoffs.

How about some credit to the broncos d who IMO had a lot to do with how good Denver has been this year without getting any of the credit.

How is that lucky? Lucky would be a ball bouncing off a defender's helmet and going straight to a receiver for a touchdown. The opposing team's running back making a mental error and fumbling the football as a result of a hit isn't luck. Luck is random, like a lottery ticket, your examples are results of decisions, effort and events.

Edited by Garranimal

Have a better than average defense and host teams with one-legged QBs, back up centers and back up safeties. You simply can't go wrong.

Its amazing how everyone will make excuses for Tim Tebow winning.....rather than just admitting he played very well. So is Ike Taylor not the Steeler's starting CB? Did the first throw to D. Thomas not go perfectly over the CB's head, or the pass to the TE Fells in the middle of the field for 30 some yards...was that not on the money?

Would you like me to go find a list of the Broncos' injuries....or don't they count. by the way, the broncos were without their starting free safety, brian Dawkins, you may have heard of him.

Edited by Garranimal

Your intended meaning got lost in translation. English can be a B word some times. I think the point you were trying to make was that Denver didn't give up on running the ball the whole game. They kept running McGahee up the gut on first down for 1 , 2 or 3 yards. Then on the first play on first down in overtime, Steelers are expecting McGahee up the middle yet again. But this time it is play action pass that goes all the way and wins the game.

That was dedication to the running game. I kept saying to myself all game, that McGahee slamming up the gut just wasn't doing anything, why keep doing it? That overtime period first play was brilliant.

Denver beat the snot out of Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh was lucky to get it to overtime. I think the Bills would have have whooped up on Steelers in that game.

Edited by Fan in San Diego

Its amazing how everyone will make excuses for Tim Tebow winning.....rather than just admitting he played very well. So is Ike Taylor not the Steeler's starting CB? Did the first throw to D. Thomas not go perfectly over the CB's head, or the pass to the TE Fells in the middle of the field for 30 some yards...was that not on the money?

Would you like me to go find a list of the Broncos' injuries....or don't they count. by the way, the broncos were without their starting free safety, brian Dawkins, you may have heard of him.

Easy, killer ... nowhere did I make any excuse. Nowhere did I say Tebow didn't play well ... never mentioned his name in my post, as a matter of fact. If you don't think that Pittsburgh's injuries were the primary reason they lost the game, I guess we can agree to disagree. Tebow had the game of his life. The only good game he's had in his career. Good for him. But a healthy Pittsburgh team destroys the Broncos 100 games out of 100. But hey ... that's why they play the games.