Strong praise for Perry Fewell

That is known as the "Dick Jauron Effect". Cadavers are mistaken for celebrities when placed next to Dick.

But I agree that Fewell looked good and I would not had been disapointed if we promoted him.

PTR

I agree. I was actually surprised he was given such short shrift after the season. Oh well.

Gotta love Bills fans and how every ex Bill is now a tool, player or coach.

The Bills run defense did get better under Fewell, plus the man was smart enough to bench Trent Edwards and start Ryan Fitzpatrick during his brief tenure as HC.

Fewell went 3-4, and one of those games Fitz was out with an injury, Brian Brohm looked like a joke against Atlanta.

He took over after 9 games by Jauron, who won 3, lost 6 and basically ole dickie scuttled the team in the preseason by cutting RT Langston Walker and G Derrick Dockery and then firing the OC two weeks before the season started. The QB coach AVP took over setting up the offensive game plans, calling plays and doing his job as both OC & QB coach.

Considering the crap team he inherited during the season Fewell did very well in my opinion.

If it helps, Fewell's great game was exactly balanced by Mularkey's awful game on the other sideline.

Great observation...

I am still baffled to this day why guys like Mularkey are still "highly touted", despite failure after failure. The offense was bad for the Steelers (some of their worst years in recent history), AWFUL for the Bills, Dolphins, and now Falcons.

I'll admit the Falcons have had occasional "bursts" of offense, but they are loaded with talent. They should be great, not struggling...

Yet this guy is still considered top OC talent...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

• 3 weeks later...

and a month ago he was being ripped

Seriously and now he is thought of as some genuis. I like Fewell but how hard is it to coordinate a defense with that front four. Edwards could probably look good there. It's like how Baltimore's DCs magically look good all the time. Those teams are based on talent rather than scheme and coaching.

I love these posts. Fewell was getting killed in NYC jsut a few weeks ago. Now after a good game against an annual playoff choking team, he is a great coach. He single handedly transformed that team. It has nothing to do with the great d line talent that was there before he ever coach one down.

I like Fewell and wish him the best. But I just get the point of these threads. Ex-Bills players and coaches can suck all year (Lynch last season) but the second they do something good, the Bills are idiots.

I think it's hard to question what this defense has done towards the end of the year, and Fewell certainly deserves at least some credit for that success.

I certainly don't think the Bills were idiots for not retaining him, they needed to go another direction (they WERE idiots for replacing him with Edwards). While I don't think Fewell is a top DC by any means, he was a good fit for the Giants and vice versa. The obvious strength of the Giants is their D line...They get a tremendous pass rush with just 4 guys on a regular basis. Fewell is a DB guy, he has done a pretty good job with that banged up secondary and LB core.

He didn't have any pass rushers with the Bills, and he didn't know how create pressure with his scheme, dooming his defense to failure. With the Giants he doesn't have to worry about that, just worry about calling the right coverage.

He is the right type of coach for the Giants

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Great observation...

I am still baffled to this day why guys like Mularkey are still "highly touted", despite failure after failure. The offense was bad for the Steelers (some of their worst years in recent history), AWFUL for the Bills, Dolphins, and now Falcons.

I'll admit the Falcons have had occasional "bursts" of offense, but they are loaded with talent. They should be great, not struggling...

Yet this guy is still considered top OC talent...

Maybe.... Not really sure what to make of Matt Ryan, he's looked good and then really bad...

Maybe.... Not really sure what to make of Matt Ryan, he's looked good and then really bad...

I blame Mularkey for ruining him....

What about Rogers though...

I also feel bad for the Jags...Mularkey and Gabbert...What a team...

Is it really Fewell getting it done? Or is it more a function of the awesome talent on the line like Umenyiora, Pierre-Paul, Tuck?

I like Fewell, but he would have failed miserably on the Bills. He can succeed with a good roster, but he is not the type of coach that can overcome this kind of talent deficiency.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I wish Fewell the best, he was a stand-up guy while in Buffalo, and there's no way to know how he would have done had the BILLS decided to keep him as Head Coach, but nonetheless, wish him the best and a Super Bowl ring...good guy and apparently solid DC...

Most coaches need talent to succeed at any level. Good coaches get production out of mediocre talent. Good coaches can get good talent who's under performing under prior regimes to play up to their talent level. Yes the giants have exceptionally good dline talent. Fewell has put them in positions to make plays. He's taking advantage of the talent he has. Oh yeah the giants are in the superbowl with Kevin Gilbride and Perry Fewell as assistant coaches. Talent and coaching it's a funny mix