Strong praise for Perry Fewell

Revisionist history. The majority if Bills fans wanted him gone with his old boss Dick(less) Jauron, even though the Bills played pretty well under Fewell. I clearly recall the cackling after Atlanta killed us. Bills fans were worried that Ralph might keep Perry if he had a winning record...even Jerry Sunshine.

PTR

Revisionist history. The majority if Bills fans wanted him gone with his old boss Dick(less) Jauron, even though the Bills played pretty well under Fewell. I clearly recall the cackling after Atlanta killed us. Bills fans were worried that Ralph might keep Perry if he had a winning record...even Jerry Sunshine.

PTR

"Jerry Sunshine" .... heh ;)

I didn't hate Fewell, but I don't think he is a great DC either. That Giants team has one of the best D-lines in the league, and they have a pretty solid secondary as well, despite the injuries.

There is no doubt about it though, that defense had a great game. A clutch performance in the playoffs. You have to give the guy at least a little credit.

PTR

I never cared for Fewell's defenses...but I will say, he was a breath of fresh air during his short stint as HC.

I never cared for Fewell's defenses...but I will say, he was a breath of fresh air during his short stint as HC.

That is known as the "Dick Jauron Effect". Cadavers are mistaken for celebrities when placed next to Dick.

But I agree that Fewell looked good and I would not had been disapointed if we promoted him.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

That is known as the "Dick Jauron Effect". Cadavers are mistaken for celebrities when placed next to Dick.

But I agree that Fewell looked good and I would not had been disapointed if we promoted him.

PTR

Who would you have been disappointed with if they had promoted/hired? I think most people here take your enthusiastic support for any move made by the front office as a given.

Re: the Giants defensive numbers this year, bear in mind that they played virtually all of the top offensive teams in a record setting offensive year: the Cowboys and Eagles twice, NO in New Orleans, Green Bay, and the Pats. All of those teams put up ridiculous yardage numbers. The Saints/Pats/Pack/Eagles finished 1-2-3-4 in offensive yardage.

Thanks for posting this, great article. Doesn't seem like they gave him a large vote of confidence by giving him a 1 yr extension through 2012. Better than not, and if the Giants maintain their defensive dominance Fewell may get a more significant extension. Sounds like up until the Jets game they were considering dumping him after the season.

What was most interesting to me was this line:

"Before the Christmas Eve victory over the Jets, players lauded Fewell for simplifying things on the defense by eliminating on-field checks and audibles based on offensive formations"

and the accompanying article:

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2011/12/back_to_the_basics_giants_defe.html

I do believe this was George Edwards' problem as players were out of position or not reacting properly to where the play was going. I also felt that Fewell's defenses for the Bills had similar problems to Edwards' version (especially in the front 7). Certainly a lack of talent for the Bills doesn't help but I don't think it's that alone.

There's got to be a balance between scheme complexity and being able to disguise what you're trying to do without confusing your own players. Wanny's run successful defenses so hopefully he realizes this balance and we can look forward to a better defense next year.

Who would you have been disappointed with if they had promoted/hired? I think most people here take your enthusiastic support for any move made by the front office as a given.

uhhhhhhhhhh....okay? :blink:

So are we angry the Bills didn't keep Fewell or almost did?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I still wouldn't want him here as a coach, I find the Tampa2 defense a highly suspect scheme, even when you do have talented players running it, which, in case anyone hasn't noticed, was not present when it was run here. I loved Wade's defense however.

On the other hand, Wade had a much more talented defense and in fact, at all of his stops Wade has had good talent to work with.

Wade's been lucky that way.

I love these posts. Fewell was getting killed in NYC jsut a few weeks ago. Now after a good game against an annual playoff choking team, he is a great coach. He single handedly transformed that team. It has nothing to do with the great d line talent that was there before he ever coach one down.

I like Fewell and wish him the best. But I just get the point of these threads. Ex-Bills players and coaches can suck all year (Lynch last season) but the second they do something good, the Bills are idiots.