When will they ever learn? Tampa gets permission

Beerball

I don't understand why people think that Wade is a bad head coach. Let's review is resume.

-2 years at Denver: One trip to the playoffs and one 8-8 season.

-3 years at Buffalo: Two trips to the playoffs and one 8-8 season.

-3 years with Dallas: Two trips to the playoffs, then fired mid way through the next season. He won a playoff game and improved to a 13-3 record after taking over for Parcells.

He is an outstanding assistant coach, but as a head coach he pays far too little attention to detail and after a couple years it really starts to show up.

When you start seeing diminishing returns after only a couple years.......you simply aren't a good head coach.

That said, I will give Wade some credit. He didn't fight the system in Dallas like he did in Buffalo. He didn't hire an unqualified buddy like Ronnie Jones and he gave the impression that he had entered the 20th century and wore a headset to show people that he actually knew what plays his coordinators were calling etc..

Maybe, just maybe, he will realize now that his hands-off approach as a head coach isn't sustainable and would run a tighter ship the next time he got a job.

He's still going to have mental lapses because he is not the sharpest in-game HC but neither was a guy like Bill Cowher.

It's kind of funny… people defending Wade Phillips is one thing but thinking that the good guy is a good choice for a rudderless team which has suffered from discipline problems?

Where do I start?

1) Critics of Chain Gailey like to harp on the fact that he's too old. Wade Phillips is nearly 5 years older than Gailey.

2) Are any of you Wade supporters actually Bills fans who remember the job he did in Buffalo?

3) Phillips was 16-16 for Denver with John Elway as his quarterback. They made the playoffs once. He was much less successful than the man who preceded him (Reeves) and the man who succeeded him (Shanahan).

4) Phillips had gall bladder and kidney surgery over a month ago. The surgery left him too weak to coach in weeks 15 and 16. Last week he coached from the coaches booth. Yesterday he coached from the coaches booth. My 80-year old Mom had gall bladder surgery which put her out of commission for about 2 days. There's something serious going on with him medically.

I think the fact that Tampa Bay is considering him as their head coach is nothing short of unbelievable.

One thing you can't say is that the guy doesn't know defense . He's brought the Texans from last place last year to 4th in the league & helped them get to the play offs !!

Well, getting a prized FA in their secondary (which was among the worst in the history of the NFL), and hitting on more than one big draft pick helped him.

I'd trade Gailey for Wade heads up right now on the spot. The guy's teams win and he gets you to the playoffs. Maybe the tide is turning on that deal as he won a playoff game in his last trip there. I'd take that about now. 7 straight losing seasons and a 12 year playoff drought does that to a guy.