which former bill did you wish we didnt give away

131 members have voted

1. 1. pick one

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

most of you missed the point of the OP, It was about guys we "let get away" for peanuts ie (fourth round draft picks" etc. These are guys we had under contract or were restricted when we got rid of them.

Pat williams, Winfield, Clements, Bennet etc were all high priced free agents which is part of football. I was pointing out guys who were good who we shipped out of town. I guess I should have added leonard to the list.

When was Aaron Maybin "good"?

And how is the compensation for Peters considered "peanuts"?? They received two picks, including a first rounder that is now Eric Wood.

Restricted FAs are still FAs -- they are very expensive to retain.

I wish we had all 5 back but if I had to pick one, Id pick Greer because he was good then, good now, and never did us wrong.

note-do not confuse this poll with high priced free agents we didnt resign (williams,winfield etc)

As I'm watching the Giants/Falcons game, we should add Perry Fewell to the list

No mention of Nate Clements???

The topic is "players given away for peanuts" ... I recall that Clements recieved one of the highest contracts ever for a DB, therefore I excluded him.

We traded Lamonica for junk. We cut Yates. We let McDole go for nothing. We gave away Raschad because he wanted a $20,000/ year raise.

Gogalak was not included becuase he left for big bucks as the first ever free agent. Gary Anderson (another kicker) was cut and he turned out to be one of the best ever.

I included Pat Williams because we could have kept him for a reassonable amount and he really wanted to stay.

I should take Winfield off of my list for the same reason as Clements. I will replace him with Greer who should have been retained at what would have been a great value (and would have saved us from drafting McKelvin).

Fred Smerlas

Cornelius Bennett

Will Wolford

Antoine Winfield

Thurman Thomas

Ted Washington

Pat Williams

London Fletcher

Coy Wire

Jabari Greer

Jim Leonhart

John Wendling

Paul Pozlusny

The topic was let go for peanuts:

Fred Smerlas -left as a free agent and was past prime. I actually wish we would have kept him, i think he would have help in SB 25. Today I consider him an obnoxious Patriot* wanna be and a Bills Traitor who's name should be erased from the Wall

Cornelius Bennett - left as a free agent for big bucks and was past prime

Will Wolford - Left as a free agent for huge bucks to a crappy team. Ralph and Littman would not let Polian sign him the year before free agency started. This was the real last straw for Polian and not that crazy story about Ralph's daughter.

Antoine Winfield - on my original list and then removed. He left for big money

Thurman Thomas - free agent was past prime and left for money

Ted Washington - free agent, had some gas left but left for money elsewhere

Pat Williams - free agent, had tons of miles left and should have been retained.

London Fletcher - free agent, had miles left but was victim of regime change

Coy Wire - only a special teams player, not a viable candidate

Jabari Greer - free agent, had tons of miles left and should have been retained.

Jim Leonhart - not as good as the safeties we had, move on from this shrimpo

John Wendling - not as good as the safeties we had, bum

Paul Pozlusny - we made him a fair offer and he left, not that great anyway

There's an amazing amount of whining around here regarding lost players. Same with posts demanding that the coaching staff be fired. Don't people realize that the two are related?

A new staff wants new players.

Doug Flutie!

+1

But really, in the modern era of free agency every team loses guys every year. Just off the top of my head I can think of how San Diego over the last few years has lost LT, Michael Turner, Drayton Florence, Drew Brees, and Darren Sproyles. From all accounts they're fixin' to lose Vincent Jackson (hopefully to us) as well.

KC lost Gonzalez and Brian Watters who is starting for the #1 AFC seed.

The Seahawks have over 20 Free Agents this year including all 3 of their running backs. They're going to lose some of their good players this year too. Immediately after their SB in 2005 they lost Joe Jurevicius and Steve Hutchinson. It happens every year.

Maybe we lost more than we should, but everyone loses good players.