Mike Mayock

Special K

I've enjoyed Mayock as an announcer for the Notre Dame games the last 2 years, and am glad to get a chance to hear him call a pro game.

His analysis is spot-on, has a lot football knowledge, and doesn't make a lot of mistakes like Simms, Aikman, and a lot of the other morons we are forced to listen to on a week to week basis.

I'd love to hear this guy call a few Bills games.

Love him as a draft analyst, not so much as announcer. Seems to be almost yelling when announcing and appears to me as if he's trying to impress the audience using technichal descriptions of plays, coverages, and formations which I think the casual fan watching the game doesn't understand, care about, or relate to.

Wow, I was so annoyed by his calling today. It was terrible!

THe Bengals were 3rd and 1 on their own 17 and he said..NOW IS A GREAT TIME TO TAKE A SHOT DOWNFIELD!!! :doh:

Sure Enough they hand off and the RB gets 3 yards and a first down!

Love him as a draft analyst, not so much as announcer. Seems to be almost yelling when announcing and appears to me as if he's trying to impress the audience using technichal descriptions of plays, coverages, and formations which I think the casual fan watching the game doesn't understand, care about, or relate to.

This is one of the things I like about him, but I see your point about this not being appealing to the casual fan.

THe Bengals were 3rd and 1 on their own 17 and he said..NOW IS A GREAT TIME TO TAKE A SHOT DOWNFIELD!!! :doh:

I saw that, he was referring to a good match up but I rolled my eyes as well. I remember thinking, that is something Chan would try. That being said, I like Mayock as a commentator.

I'm mulling Mayock over. Not ready to give him all the kudos. As an announcer, his live action "insights" are pretty much what any observer paying attention should know. As a draft analyst sorry but I just cannot accept his unabashed and vigorous support of Gabbert. If he made a mistake I could easily not hold that against him. Talent evaluation is an arcane science. Everybody seems to make mistakes. What is not clear however is whether he was "bought" by Gabbert's agent, Tom Condon. Lots of money on the table every April. So IMO the jury is still out on Mayock.

Gabbert might still end up being a good player....Manning did not look great in his first year

Agree but if he continues to suck, badly, that will say something about Mayock. He was an incredibly asserive supporter of the Gabbert camp. If he just made a mistake-no big deal. Everybody makes mistakes. But his support was sooooo egregious and unqualified. I have no doubt that with the tens of millions at stake, the politics of the draft maybe get pretty dirty. Maybe Mayock isn't the sacred oracle that many give him credit for being.

No one loves a good conspiracy more than me but IMO Gabbert was a consensus top half of the first round pick at least. I doubt Mayock's grade and backing had any influence, but you never know. One sure thing is that no NFL GM will admit to being influenced by an analyst's view on a prospect.

Eff the casual fan.

I've enjoyed Mayock as an announcer for the Notre Dame games the last 2 years, and am glad to get a chance to hear him call a pro game.

His analysis is spot-on, has a lot football knowledge, and doesn't make a lot of mistakes like Simms, Aikman, and a lot of the other morons we are forced to listen to on a week to week basis.

I'd love to hear this guy call a few Bills games.

I'd love this guy to work for the Bills

Screw the Casual fan they can have all the other guys for that. Real Fans love the technical jargon and he's a breath of fresh air.

Eff the casual fan.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Mayock needs booth experience. As he gets more, he'll deliver a smoother play by play. Right now, he calls the game in the draft day voice.

In an unrelated television personality opinion, I find Donovan McNabb on ESPN to be very impressive.

He talks way too much for my taste.

Not sure why today's broadcasters seem to think the time between plays is more important than the play itself, except for insessant narcissism or a feeling that viewers are too dumb to make their own analysis...

I'd love this guy to work for the Bills

Screw the Casual fan they can have all the other guys for that. Real Fans love the technical jargon and he's a breath of fresh air.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

This +100. I would love an announce team that emphasized the technical stuff and actually discussed what's happening on the field in some detail. I don't really care who Tony Romo is banging or what kind of frown Bill Bellicheck has on his face.

They had one of the best downfield receivers on the planet singled up against a corner up in press coverage with no help over the top whatsoever. That's a great matchup at any down/distance and a playaction call there might have netted them 40+ yards or even a big score. And Mayock is one of the few guys in the booth who's more interested in the game than himself and as a result one of the only guys who actually pays enough attention to pick it up presnap.

You may not care for his personality, but his awareness and acumen is a breath of fresh air for folks who really love the chess match.

I wish there were more of him.