Teams that could take Peyton Manning

When he was with San Diego, I personally saw him decapitate several good defenses.

I disagree that Brees is a system guy.

He is great at reading defenses and is one of the most accurate throwers I've ever seen. He's a great decision maker.

I personally saw him lay an egg in the playoffs more than once in SD. After he left they were as good with rivers. And all the compliments you paid Brees are certainly true of manning.

I would say the Jets. Sanchez is brutal. Jets OC is interviewing for a some HC jobs, if he leaves, Manning could go to NY and install his offence. This would be a selling point for him as any new hire would agree to Manning play calling games. Sanchez takes a back seat, he is a few years into his rookie contract so there likely isn't too much salary to carry. The Jets would have to clear salary to make it work. Not sure of the cap hit but maybe cutting Santonio Holmes clears some. Sanchez is so bad that a healty Peyton on that team would instantly make them a top AFC Superbowl contender.

As for the Bills, maybe they can play on his charitable disposition. Or they can offer to pay him more than anyone else and draft Floyd or Jefferies to make him happy. Money is a great equalizer so you never know. Maybe Ralph gets a visit from the ghost of Christmas past.

Mannings salary is 8 million right? I can imagine them figuring out a way to work it in to "win now". But first he has to be healthy and next he has to be dealt and lastly I am sure he decides where he will and will not go.

7/30/2011: Signed five-year, $90 million contract. The deal contains $54.4 million guaranteed, including a $20 million signing bonus. 2011: $3.4 million (+ $3 million roster bonus), 2012: $7.4 million (+ $28 million option bonus due 3/8), 2013: $8.4 million, 2014: $9.4 million, 2015: $10.4 million, 2016: Free Agent
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1493/peyton-manning

I personally saw him lay an egg in the playoffs more than once in SD. After he left they were as good with rivers. And all the compliments you paid Brees are certainly true of manning.

Brees > P-Gump (Big Game Chump).

I know there are those on this board who disagree with me but I consider Phillip Rivers to be an elite quarterback.

So for the Chargers to not miss a beat when the torch was passed from Brees to Rivers only reinforces my belief that they are both great quarterbacks.

And I was not denigrating Manning in the least… I was complimenting Brees.

Irsay has a great relationship with manning. I think polian wanted to dump manning and go with Luck and Irsay told him no

That's been my hunch all along. We'll see soon enough. If Manning passes his physical sometime before 3/8, Irsay will have some tough decisions to make. Especially if Manning doesn't redo his deal.

GO BILLS!!!

Top Tier

Jets - if they think they're only a QB away from winning now and Sanchize is what's holding them back.

Redskins - not a player away from winning it all, but they need a QB and have a history for high profile FA signings.

Miami - have a lot of pieces in place, new coach may lobby for addressing QB right away.

Browns - if Holgrem brought in Jake Delhome, surely Manning is worth considering. Hasn't had an elite QB since Favre

Broncos - might shock some, but Elway knows Tebow will never be elite. They're already a playoff team, why not land a HoF QB to take them even further?

Cardinals - could just eat the costs of the to-this-point failed Kolb experiment and get an elite QB to get the ball to their elite WR Fitzgerald.

Possible, but less probable

Chiefs - that's where Montana was put out to pasture

Jags - may think Gabbert needs more time to sit and learn. But I doubt Peyton goes to a place where he's seen as keeping the seat warm for someone else.

Buffalo - he's a dream QB for Chan, but too many "buts" when you're talking Buffalo (not a QB away, Ralph is cheap, Peyton may not want to play here, etc)

Bucs - QB regressed from playoff team a year ago to 4 & 12

Seattle: year 3 put up or shut up time for their high profile coach. Do they really think Tavaris is the answer ?

What about the Vikings? They play in a Dome, have some offensive talent. I guess I haven't seen Ponder play enough to know if he is for real, but I have heard mixed things about him.

Also, this is just kind of a hunch, I don't think Chan Gailey and Payton Manning would make a good match. Manning seems, to me, too strong a personality for Chan... Gailey seems to prefer "his guys", rather than to be Manning's "guy".

What about the Vikings? They play in a Dome, have some offensive talent. I guess I haven't seen Ponder play enough to know if he is for real, but I have heard mixed things about him.

Also, this is just kind of a hunch, I don't think Chan Gailey and Payton Manning would make a good match. Manning seems, to me, too strong a personality for Chan... Gailey seems to prefer "his guys", rather than to be Manning's "guy".

According to ponder the team told him they won't be drafting a qb, I assume that extends to taking a big name in FA too

I know there are those on this board who disagree with me but I consider Phillip Rivers to be an elite quarterback.

So for the Chargers to not miss a beat when the torch was passed from Brees to Rivers only reinforces my belief that they are both great quarterbacks.

And I was not denigrating Manning in the least… I was complimenting Brees.

I hear ya, 2 very different styles but both capable QBs. But Brees needed Payton's offensive oriented system to really stand out. In the context of brees holding out for more money than the saints can afford and still round out a championship quality team, if they have a healthy manning waiting in the wings for a price that works, I'd take manning and not let brees hold me ransom.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

According to ponder the team told him they won't be drafting a qb, I assume that extends to taking a big name in FA too

I hadn't heard that. I remember hearing something in the last few weeks, about Frazier telling Joe Webb that he still has a shot to earn the starting job, nobody is secure.