Jason Peters -- First Team All-Pro

The Peters saga may be over, but the Bills are again faced with keeping one of their own, though a UFA and not under contract as Peters was. The point remains that Buffalo allows talent to walk out the door more frequently, and those players go onto success elsewhere. Fletcher, Peters, Greer, Milloy, and now perhaps Stevie Johnson without any replacement behind them. Each and every player was a salary purge, replaced then or later with a draft pick who cost considerably less. This sort of "team-building" doesn't work and is in place only because the true objective of the team is to be set up for maximum return on their sale.

Jason Peters had many negatives, not the least of which was his agent Eugene Parker. That said, the team was not justified, unless this was a financial purge, of jettisoning a top player at his position. If Stevie Johnson goes, nothing has changed at OBD in spite of the new GM. Nothing.

I agree with you BillsVet that sort of team-building doesnt work, Pat Williams and Antoine Winfield are other examples that comes to mind, but has much has the Bills front office screwed up, I still think that the Peters situation was different and the front office had no other choice...

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Peters saga may be over, but the Bills are again faced with keeping one of their own, though a UFA and not under contract as Peters was. The point remains that Buffalo allows talent to walk out the door more frequently, and those players go onto success elsewhere. Fletcher, Peters, Greer, Milloy, and now perhaps Stevie Johnson without any replacement behind them. Each and every player was a salary purge, replaced then or later with a draft pick who cost considerably less. This sort of "team-building" doesn't work and is in place only because the true objective of the team is to be set up for maximum return on their sale.

Jason Peters had many negatives, not the least of which was his agent Eugene Parker. That said, the team was not justified, unless this was a financial purge, of jettisoning a top player at his position. If Stevie Johnson goes, nothing has changed at OBD in spite of the new GM. Nothing.

They were less salary cap purges than they were miscalculations. Guys like Fletcher, Pat Williams, and Milloy were into their 30's when they were looking for (large) new deals. Greer missed 6 games because of injury his last year in Buffalo and the Bills had just drafted McKelvin. And Peters showed himself when he demanded a new deal just 2 years after the Bills gave him a large raise from his rookie contract, skipped the off- and pre-season, and played poorly his last year. As for Stevie, his maturity issues likely concern the Bills, otherwise he'd probably have a new deal.

Please do not say the All-Pro team is a popularity contest, it is not, at all. Look at all of the other starters. Some big names, some not, all of the guys that excelled that weren't expected to are near the top.

Peters is a great player and worth the money, and would have been on the Bills too.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/06/rodgers-tops-brees-easily-megatron-and-allen-lead-all-pro-voting/#more-177937

Cheap ass Ralph screws the pooch again.

Bell is not good

he just the best of what the Bills pretend to be LTs

He is only serviceable in the 2 second dump off passing game that Chan is forced to run to hide the mess that is the OL

Bell is weak and can not get push in the run game and gets overwhelmed by skilled pass rushers

A statement that is lost too some here. If they don't address this position

in the offseason. Then go with hairston in 2012. Expect more dismal at best

LT play. A 2 second dump off game is exactly what we had this year. As for

cherry picked O-line stats, they are meaningless. The NFL still goes by the

Won Loss column to gauge a teams success.So do all the fans.

Again: they restructured his contract to pay him like an RT, and then flopped him to LT as soon as the ink dried. That justifiably pissed him off.

Sometimes you have to worry less about the rest of the worlds compensation and more about your own life. The flip shouldn't have been THAT big of a deal so quickly. If they left him at RT he still wouldve been playing really well and happy? My guess is Parker got in his ear heavily and wanted another contract ASAP so he could get his own payday. Truly I think Parker was the biggest cancer and unfortunately he had peters ear.

Edited by NoSaint

Sometimes you have to worry less about the rest of the worlds compensation and more about your own life. The flip shouldn't have been THAT big of a deal so quickly. If they left him at RT he still wouldve been playing really well and happy? My guess is Parker got in his ear heavily and wanted another contract ASAP so he could get his own payday. Truly I think Parker was the biggest cancer and unfortunately he had peters ear.

Clearly Parker was 100% correct in the way he handled it as his guy DID get a huge payday..... and Parker, Peters, me, you, everyone on this board all want to maximize our earnings. it is no surprise.

A statement that is lost too some here. If they don't address this position

in the offseason. Then go with hairston in 2012. Expect more dismal at best

LT play. A 2 second dump off game is exactly what we had this year. As for

cherry picked O-line stats, they are meaningless. The NFL still goes by the

Won Loss column to gauge a teams success.So do all the fans.

You wouldn't know good O-line play if it bit you on the azz.

PTR

LOL. Thread delivers. Would read again.

Seriously do some of you people stalk your ex-girlfriends after you break up. It happened four years ago. Let it go.

Substitute the name Stevie for Peters, and it is happening as we speak.

Clearly Parker was 100% correct in the way he handled it as his guy DID get a huge payday..... and Parker, Peters, me, you, everyone on this board all want to maximize our earnings. it is no surprise.

As opposed to coming in handling his business and maybe getting the same kind of deal after the season anyway? Getting to stay with the team he allegedly really liked in the process. Sometimes you just don't know the alternative. He got his money though, so that's true. Either way he played that year under the original deal.

Edited by NoSaint

Honestly, it's hard to take some ones opinion seriously, when they have a paper bag for a head, and a tin foil dunce cap on.LOL.

Just sayin.

I could say the same about you and your fellow trolls. O-line was one of the bright spots on the Bills this year. But because you are so bent on beating the Jason Peters dead horse 4 years after the fact, you declare our O-line an abject failure when by any measure it is not. So lets use your favorite yardstick: won-loss record. The Eagles were 8-8, and worse, the Bills beat them. So by your own math that means Jason Peters didn't make the Eagles significantly better than the Bills.

It's not even worth the time debating you people because your minds are rusted shut.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I could say the same about you and your fellow trolls. O-line was one of the bright spots on the Bills this year. But because you are so bent on beating the Jason Peters dead horse 4 years after the fact, you declare our O-line an abject failure when by any measure it is not.

It's not even worth the time debating you people because your minds are rusted shut.

PTR

:pirate: That's the thing that just makes me laugh about this whole thread. If we were coming off a season where our oline was awful and was the reason we struggled, the Peters point (even if the trade did happen 4 years ago) might make sense.

But PTR, you gotta remember. Even though by the NFL.com stats (they are bias to the Bills of course) ranked us #1, with Peters here, we would have allowed 0 sacks and our rbs would have averaged 10 ypc.

The Bills suck.

Not saying SJ will be an all pro, but he's bound to be on the list of "players the Bills shouldn't have let walk" list.

And that would make me very upset because SJ handled the situation like a pro should (minus the celebrations). Peters pouted like a spoiled little child and hurt the team by showing up out of shape.

Standard negotiating in the NFL. As you correctly pointed out he would have been the third highest paid o-lineman on the team when arguably he should have been top 3 paid LT in the entire game.

Don't go and bring reality and logic into this! How will people be able to continue to believe it was Peters fault he left if you keep dispelling these illusions?

Substitute the name Stevie for Peters, and it is happening as we speak.

In some peoples' opinion... once again willing to overpay for someone who will not help our team very much.

Stevie Johnson will go to another team and will be their T.O... works hard, does stupid stuff to hurt the team, won't stop, and drops a heck of a lot of balls.

Do you really think that Chan Gailey is just plain stubborn and stupid?

I like Spiller a ton, and can't wait to see him next year, but he gets his 5 yards a carry by running for 2, -3, 4, 1 and 25 yards (not always, and a slight exaggeration but I think you know what I mean). Those holes are open because we simply do not run that much. A lot of times we try and we get stuffed. Granted, I wish we would run Spiller a little more myself, but that really boils down to 2-3 more carries a game. And if we picked up a few more first downs, like we did earlier in the league, he would easily get that.

It's just an opinion. You may be right. But I don't at all think if we ran a lot more we would have the holes in the run game that we sporadically do. I think we would have a lot less.

Do you even watch the games? Spiller has PLENTY of 3 - 8 yard runs. You make it seem like he is some weak ineffectively little scat back that basically sucks 90% of the time if not for breaking a big run here and there. Spiller is a solid back and produces down after down. Any negative yardage plays he takes now are not due to running backward of sideways but usually being tackled immediately after the hand off indicating a blown blocking assignment.

Boo sir! You have attempted to greatly misrepresented his production to support your weak argument.

Rather than discuss Peters as a top notch OLT, an analysis of that trade is overdue. The Bills dealt their starting OLT for a late first, fourth, and sixth round picks. Those players turned out to be Eric Wood, Shawn Nelson, and Danny Batten. One of those players starts at an easier to find position (center) while Nelson is out of the NFL, and Batten appears to be a role player. The real benefit was that Buffalo got out from having to pay a large salary to one of their best players, and replaced it three relatively small rookie deals.

It's been more than four years since the Bills signed anyone to big money. I'm referring to Dockery and Schobel. Since that time they've signed a some moderate guaranteed money contracts like Fitzpatrick, K. Williams, McGee, Stroud, etc. but nothing like what Peters was demanding. And now, he lived up to it as an All-Pro and people continue lambasting the player. The move was a salary dump and the trade did not bring equal value to the team in personnel. Yet another Bills blunder. Is Stevie next, and if so, when they get nothing in return, it'll be another purge of salary.

Refreshing! Someone that can look at it with open eyes and not the I'm a whiny ex-girlfriend I hate Peters bias. These Madden NFL GMs need to go. Were people worried that Ralph might go broke if we paid the guy what he was worth? I just don't get it. The lame and I mean LAME sour grapes excuses are funny though. They used to piss me off now I just laugh.

I could say the same about you and your fellow trolls. O-line was one of the bright spots on the Bills this year. But because you are so bent on beating the Jason Peters dead horse 4 years after the fact, you declare our O-line an abject failure when by any measure it is not. So lets use your favorite yardstick: won-loss record. The Eagles were 8-8, and worse, the Bills beat them. So by your own math that means Jason Peters didn't make the Eagles significantly better than the Bills.

PTR

For everyone still trying to open peoples eyes about the Peters issue being Buffalo's front office's problem there is someone beating the dead horse of lame excuses for why they think a perennial probowler wasn't worth market value eh Promo????...Keep up the fight!...LOL

PTR

Find a single post that I have beat the Jason peters dead horse. Yes, a single post.

Speaking of rust you're CPU may need replacing. You're calling me a troll?

As for debating would love too. However personal attacks are more your style.

I just looked at your link again and there is a red ascending arrow next to "sacks". When I select the header "yds" it puts the red ascending there and ranks Denver #1. When I select "avg" it ranks Carolina #1. When I select "sacks" it ranks them descending so I click "sacks" again and it re-sorts with Buffalo #1 as per your original link.

In this version: http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=TOTAL_POINTS_GAME_AVG&tabSeq=2&season=2011&role=TM&Submit=Go&archive=false&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&qualified=true

the Bills are ranked #14 in points per game and total yards per game.

You have it correct Gary. The NFL doesn't "rank" anything - they collect the data and present it. So in short that link shows the Bills have given up the lowest number of sacks this year. It is foolish to rank anything based soley on the numbers anyway, considering it is a team game and each of the three phases influence each other.

I can only think that PTR is ignorant to that or flat out lying. You would have to go to a site like pro football focus to find rankings that go beyond the actual numbers.

Spiller has PLENTY of 3 - 8 yard runs. You make it seem like he is some weak ineffectively little scat back that basically sucks 90% of the time if not for breaking a big run here and there. Spiller is a solid back and produces down after down. Any negative yardage plays he takes now are not due to running backward of sideways but usually being tackled immediately after the hand off indicating a blown blocking assignment.

Agreed.

Spiller was a pretty consistent runner this year… very little good run-bad run IMO.

Except that he can't push the pile very well I thought he maximized most of his attempts.

And again with the Peters situation, there is plenty of blame for both sides… but I mostly blame the Bills.