Give Chan 6 years

Okay so what you're telling us is facts bore you and you'd rather not be challenged?

PTR

Face it- he is right. Instead of looking at what improved and what didn't, lets start over. Fire Gailey, Nix, and the rest. Cut everyone. It's not about getting better, it's about having lazy opinions

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay so what you're telling us is facts bore you and you'd rather not be challenged?

PTR

No what I'm saying is cherrypick the stats all you want.

The Simple fact is were not watching the Bills on TV today because they suck.

They were 4-12 last year and 6-10 this year. Of course those numbers are down from

the glory 7-9 DJ years.

I cannot connect the dots on small sometimes meaningless stats improved or not.In the end it's the W's. Maybe an MBA would get excited about statistical improvement not me. There's a lot

of variables in the way those stats are compiled, if small moral victories help anyone watching the playoffs without the Bills in them yet again then more power to you.

That said I expect no less than 10-6 next year. I think this complete mediocre bunch of players for the most part are that good. I'll be ticked off at even 9-7. Anything less

and were looking for that head coaching change everyone loves to hate.

No what I'm saying is cherrypick the stats all you want.

The Simple fact is were not watching the Bills on TV today because they suck.

They were 4-12 last year and 6-10 this year. Of course those numbers are down from

the glory 7-9 DJ years.

I cannot connect the dots on small sometimes meaningless stats improved or not.In the end it's the W's. Maybe an MBA would get excited about statistical improvement not me. There's a lot

of variables in the way those stats are compiled, if small moral victories help anyone watching the playoffs without the Bills in them yet again then more power to you.

That said I expect no less than 10-6 next year. I think this complete mediocre bunch of players for the most part are that good. I'll be ticked off at even 9-7. Anything less

and were looking for that head coaching change everyone loves to hate.

If you don't look to see what got better, then how do you fix what is wrong. This group IS NOT that good. Johnson should be playing in the slot and Bell should be on the bench. We don't have a pass rusher on the roster. Our secondary isn't great. Our QB isn't good enough. We are 7-9 under optimal conditions.

If you don't look to see what got better, then how do you fix what is wrong. This group IS NOT that good. Johnson should be playing in the slot and Bell should be on the bench. We don't have a pass rusher on the roster. Our secondary isn't great. Our QB isn't good enough. We are 7-9 under optimal conditions.

Oh, I won't defend any players here. I agree what you say above. My thinking is that gailey knows this team now. he knows our limitations. Left tackle

being huge if we ever want too get a passing game going past 15 yards. Fitz well were stuck with him, Pass rusher? Man if they don't have that message were doomed. I'm hoping for a 10-6

season. Not a super bowl. Fitz can't get us too the promised land. I think Johnson's biggest strength with the team is going in the middle and taking the punishment. Hard to find guys

that will do that. he isn't going anywhere either.

Oh, I won't defend any players here. I agree what you say above. My thinking is that gailey knows this team now. he knows our limitations. Left tackle

being huge if we ever want too get a passing game going past 15 yards. Fitz well were stuck with him, Pass rusher? Man if they don't have that message were doomed. I'm hoping for a 10-6

season. Not a super bowl. Fitz can't get us too the promised land. I think Johnson's biggest strength with the team is going in the middle and taking the punishment. Hard to find guys

that will do that. he isn't going anywhere either.

I can agree with a lot of that- if we can get a couple real wide receivers and move Johnson to the slot, we will really have the foundation for something. Add a left tackle, and there is something to get excited about

The only mistake Chan made as a coach was selecting Edwards as a defensive coordinator. He needed to find a guy like him on the other side of the ball, a man capable of take lesser talent and put it in position to produce.

Every positive shown on offense, was negated by the ineptitude on defense. Even when the defense was forcing turnovers the sense of them breaking at the end was always latent. The offense had the confidence the defense never had and ultimately they cracked under the pressure to hold this team togheter.

Gailey is an excellent gameday coach, his clock management is almost flawless, the plays are given to the QB with plenty of time on the play clock. Sans a delay of game against the Patriots (2nd game) and the lackadaisical drive against the Titans I can't really remember a time where the offense was not in command of the situation.

Pre-snap penalties are way down compared with prevous coaching staffs. This is a great reflection of the coach.

Playcalling is subjective, when we were winning, Chan was great because he made adjustments and could made chicken salad out of chicken ****. I will never blame injuries (unless your franchise QB, that we don't have, goes down) I blame the losing streak more on the leadership of Fitz, or lack there of, rather than the guidance of their coach.

Can the playcalling get better? Sure, but it's easier to call a game without the pressure of scoring in every single drive to be alive in the score board.

If I'm the new Buffalo Bills onwer to be, I take note of the very positive things Chan have in his favor and see if with a little help from the benjamins can make him a winning coach in the NFL.

That's what lazy people do when they don't like dealing with facts.

Here are some handy facts:

2009: 6-10 Overall, 2-4 Division

2010: 4-12 Overall, 1-5 Division

2011: 6-10 Overall, 1-5 Division

For every item that suggests improvement, there's one of equal or greater value stating otherwise. The Bills are 2-10 in the division since the Nix/Gailey regime began. And if the easiest way into the post-season is to win your division, that's not cutting it. I can remember when people were ripping on the Dolphins for being so bad, yet they defeated Buffalo twice, as did the soap opera Jets.

I would also argue the division is now weaker than it was in 2009-10 with the Jets getting older and not getting solid QB play. Miami are not world-beaters and NE's defense isn't as dominating anymore either. Still, there's Buffalo at the bottom of the division and out of the playoff picture by week 12.

Edited by BillsVet

Why not give him 6. Firing the HC every 3 years doesn't seem to be working. But the fans will probably run him out of town if the Bills don't drastically improve next year.

Only if the front office is dumb enough to listen to those who know little. Fans shouldn't run anything.

Here are some handy facts:

2009: 6-10 Overall, 2-4 Division

2010: 4-12 Overall, 1-5 Division

2011: 6-10 Overall, 1-5 Division

For every item that suggests improvement, there's one of equal or greater value stating otherwise. The Bills are 2-10 in the division since the Nix/Gailey regime began. And if the easiest way into the post-season is to win your division, that's not cutting it. I can remember when people were ripping on the Dolphins for being so bad, yet they defeated Buffalo twice, as did the soap opera Jets.

I would also argue the division is now weaker than it was in 2009-10 with the Jets getting older and not getting solid QB play. Miami are not world-beaters and NE's defense isn't as dominating anymore either. Still, there's Buffalo at the bottom of the division and out of the playoff picture by week 12.

How can anyone not want Chan to be the man for as long as possible - he was able to beat New England this year which no other coach has been able to do in the previous 15 tries. That alone is better than a .500 record or making the playoffs - right? :rolleyes: Really, fans expect way too much. :rolleyes:

On a serious note, here is a question: name all of the NFL teams that have not made the playoffs since 2000.

How can anyone not want Chan to be the man for as long as possible - he was able to beat New England this year which no other coach has been able to do in the previous 15 tries. That alone is better than a .500 record or making the playoffs - right? :rolleyes: Really, fans expect way too much. :rolleyes:

On a serious note, here is a question: name all of the NFL teams that have not made the playoffs since 2000.

I will guess that it is the team whose front office listens to the 9-to-5 humanoids instead of doing It's job.

Finally having some time this Sunday, I have crunched the stats from 2009 vs 2011 to take a snapshot of the Bills under Gailey. To spare some people the inevitable migraine of pondering numbers, I will give you the summary of my results. I can provide the full stats on an Excel spreadsheet to anyone who wants them.

OFFENSE:

As expected the Bills are much improved on offense. Scoring up 44% (14th). Touchdowns up 72% (11th). We rank #1 in sacks given (23) and fumbles lost (5). We do well running the ball (4.9 ypc, rank 4th) but we were almost that good in 2009 as well (4.4 rank 8th) We improved in every offensive category but one: INTs. (19 (23rd) in 2009, 25 (32nd) in 2011)

DEFENSE:

As expected we declined considerably on defense, but the drop was mainly in pass defense because we couldn't stop the run in 2009 either. 78% worse on pass D, 33% worse on points allowed, rushing D stats still bottom 5 like it was in 2009. The only positive stats on D were fumbles recovered (up 50%) and rush yards allowed improved by 12%, but still bottom 5 in rank.

SPECIAL TEAMS

This was a suprise. It shows that both Lindell and Moorman have lost leg strength and accuracy. Bills were worst in FG% (74%) in 2011 but only 85% in 2009. (FYI they were last in 2010 with Lindell, only 76%!) Net punting yds fell from #5 in 2009 to #21 in 2011. Kickoff returns were worst inthe NFL in 2011, but punt return yards were #8.

In summery my statement of the team improving in most areas was incorrect. Any improvement on offense was offset by a decline on defense and special teams. Considering Gailey's rep as an offensive mind, maybe this is not surprising. At least he has delivered on that side of the ball. Hopefully Wannstadt will shore up the D in 2012. Looking at Lindell's numbers makes me wonder if he should be signed long-term.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot