Give Chan 6 years

Tom Landry was a genius and developed plays and formations that are still utilized even in today's NFL, but this is not the 1960's, its 2012.

Its all about winning, and going from a HC that had 3, back to back 7-9 seasons to a split with an interim HC and 6-10 with Jauron / Fewell. The team took a step back in hiring Gailey to 4-12, and this year only equaled the 6-10 fiasco of Jauron / Fewell.

My take on the reason the team got worse instead of better is because this HC didn't hire experienced assistants. Instead he brought in some cronies from his college days at GT, and hired assistants with virtually no NFL experience at their jobs. For 2 years fans have had to endure the George Edwards / Curtis Modkins experiments. Now QB coach George Cortez is taking heat for something wrong with the offense, not sure just what, just yet.

Most of the fans posting here noticed some tendencies about the play calling, and that once the team loses the lead this offense stops running the ball and just goes into an all out aerial attack. Considering the injuries to the WR corps, the O line, the TE it really didn't make logical sense to most fans to abandon the run during those games.

If the defense improves and helps win games then hooray for Wannstache!! Although the offense is still a concern, is Chan Gailey calling all the offensive plays? If so, then he needs to fire himself as OC and hire an experienced NFL play caller, just like he did with Edwards.

I have no problem with Chan Gailey as the head coach for the Buffalo Bills for the remainder of this owners lifetime...just as long as the team finishes next year with a winning record, even 8-8 would suffice. :D

Edited by Fear the Beard

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as Wilson is the owner, I want Chan to stay as head coach.

The Bills should strive to build the best team they can with the decision makers they have. Let's see what Buddy, Doug, Chan and Dave can do. In that group you've got a super bowl ring, offensive and defensive gurus, a guy with more than 40 years of football experience and one of the most respected young talent evaluators in the league. This is the best group Wilson has had running this team since 1997. I doubt Wilson could put together a better group.

I'll give him 12................months. No playoffs in 2012, no Chan in 2013.

Agreed, personally, I feel like if the previous coaches didn't 6 then neither should Chan. If we are out of the playoff race by December again next year he needs to be let go. It seems like Fitz gets a lot of blame and Chan has been getting too much of a pass for our second half collapse and I just don't understand that.

I would agree that Ralph has created this culture. I would also add that this is the second time he has tried to give control to someone else to run the team. He first did it with Tom D and now with Russ B. I think we could blame Ralph for the past but this future is on Brandon...just like the Tom D years were on him. Ralph I get the impression wants to be informed, but doesn't want the headache anymore. Since Russ has taken over we have hired two football guys in Nix and Chan. Both had a reputation of winning. We add Doug as the Assistant GM and Dave W as Assistant head coach and now "D" coordinator. I think this staff looks good on paper and has the potential of turning things around. We can look at the past and learn, but our past is not our future.

Ralph, is this you? :lol:

Then we start all over again from 4 - 12. new schemes, players cut, new players drafted, blah blah, and the futility continues....

You do realize that the 49ers said "enough!" to the 2 1/2 season Singletary experiment, brought in a new head coach in Harbaugh, and went from 6-10 to 13-3 in one season?

This was done using a QB who was spoken of as "no good" and a "bust", by judicious improvement through drafting and a few FA acquisitions - no huge FA splash or dramatic trading away of the draft board for Cam Newton or anything of the sort.

It isn't written in stone that a team who changes head coaches has to start over again from 4-12, or be 8 and 8 forever.

That's not to say the Bills will do it, but it can be done.

Thrown back atcha, PTR. I want you to give me a list of the areas in which the Bills have improved. You said they had improved in almost every area. Simple enough, right?

Okay, from 2009 to 2011...

Points per game: from 16.1 (28th) to 23.2 (14th)

Sacks given up: from 46 (28th) to 23 (1st!!!)

Rushing yards: 1867 (16th) to 1961 (13th)

Passing yards: 2515 (30th) to 3703 (15th)

Touchdowns: 25 (29th) to 43 (11th)

There's your "abysmal" team. :lol: Any more questions?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

That's not to say the Bills will do it, but it can be done.

Since the DeBartlo family has owned the 49ers, they have 5 super bowl wins, 15 division championships and 19 play-off appearances. Over the same period, Mr. Wilson has 0 super bowl wins, 7 division championships and 12 play-off appearances. I think the 49ers are better at finding the 'Harbaughs' than the Bills.

We have a crew with potential, lets see where they can go and give them time to do it.

Lately the anti-Ralph argument is seldom about how much/little he spends.

The argument as to why Ralph is the reason for failure is that he's the top man and bears ultimate responsibility.

The argument is bolstered by very, very limited success in 51 seasons of football.

More specifically the argument is that he's "built" an organization with less-than-qualified people who work in an environment that is not committed to winning… and that this lack of commitment results in the top people in the field not wanting to work for the Buffalo Bills… or something like this.

There's a belief I share that many of the things the team does points to an organizational ineptitude.

This is the world that Ralph has built… and it has given his detractors plenty of ammo and his supporters very little.

I agree that it has been 51 years of limited success and I think that is putting it nicely. I have been a fan for all that time. Prior to the great team of the late 80s early 90s Ralph Wilson was not considered to be a good owner. In fact he was considered to be one of the worst. Why do you think guys like Jim Kelly originally refused to play for the Bills?

I could sight multiple bone headed decisions made by his organization over the last half century, but most of you already know what they were. However there is no taking away what the man did for the sport of football and he deserves to be in the HOF.

I met Ralph Wilson, he was very nice and he loves the Bills and loves talking about the team. That being said I think he is ill equipped to run a modern NFL franchise.

Tgreg, I want you to give me a list of 5 areas where the Bills are "abysmal". Simple enough, right? The gauntlet is thrown.

PTR

I respect that challenge :beer:

1. Win Loss Record. The ONLY thing that matters. Since 2000, the Bills are 76-116. Over Chan's first 2 seasons, the record is even worse (10-22). As much of a trainwreck as Jauron was (and he was), the Bills have been worse than they were with DJ. Of course, that was to be expected due to the sheer lack of talent left on the roster when DJ left town. No one expected an overnight fix. But things haven't gotten better. They've at BEST stayed the same (we've improved on offense yet regressed on defense). At worse they've imploded. The second half of the season for the Bills showed how little talent they have on their roster (less depth than ANY OTHER TEAM IN THE NFL), and how flawed the team actually is.

2. Front office: The front office is out of touch with regards to what it takes to win in the NFL. They've got a retired GM who had never had the job before in Nix and has done very little to improve the amount of talent on the roster. Now, with a change of D coordinators, it seems likely that some of, if not most, of the Defensive players drafted by Nix will now have to adapt to a new system in which they're not a fit. The poor drafting continues, there's no depth at all on the roster despite having an excess of 30 million to spend. The front office's constant revolving door at positions of need (CB, RB, QB, WR, OL) is a cycle that shows no sign of stopping under Nix's regime.

3. Pass Rush: Simply the worst in the NFL. Bar none. There isn't a player on the roster that strikes fear into opponents' hearts. Maybe Dareus will get there, he's been a stud. But there isn't a single pass rusher on the roster. Merriman was done before he stepped on the field, and reaching for him and not adding any other talent in this area ties in to the utter ineptitude of the front office.

4. OL: You say sacks are down and they were. That wasn't due to the talent of the OL. It was due to the absolute lack of a downfield passing attack. It's hard to get sacks when your QB is throwing short routes. Give Fitz credit for a quick release, but the offensive gameplan of dink and dunk was designed to mask the OL's inability to pass block for more than 2 seconds. Pears, Harriston and Bell were average to below average when they had to block for longer than 2 seconds. No backup center on the roster, no backup guards and very limited talent at the OT position has doomed this team.

5. QB: Fitz is average at best. He has shown nothing to give anyone confidence he can deliver when it counts. He continues to come up small when it counts the most. Hurt or not, he showed absolutely no ability to throw deep and stretch a defense. Some of that can be blamed on the utter lack of talent at WR position, but most of it falls on Fitz's incapable shoulders. The fact that the organization continues to scramble for a franchise QB after 12 years of searching is terrible. The fact this team has never taken a QB with their first pick is even worse. It's a passing league. Hard to win in a league like that when you can't pass.

6. WRs: There isn't a single number 1 WR on the roster and hasn't been since Moulds left. That's a problem. Stevie is a number 2. Nelson is a solid 3. The rest of the WR corps would have a hard time making any other NFL roster let alone their starting rotation. There is an absolute lack of talent in the WR corps. Combine that with a weak QB and a subpar OL and you have a recipe for disaster.

7. Coaching: Chan's in game decisions have been suspect. The defense's inability to adjust was not just due to lack of talent, it was due to poor coaching and schemes. Changing from Edwards to Wanny won't be as big of a score as most on here believe. Mainly because he doesn't have the players to implement the scheme he's most familiar with. But also, if he is as good as some on here said, then he also has to bear some of the responsibility for the abortion that was on the field this year since he was the asst head coach.

I could go on ... The bottom line is that this all starts up top. Ralph, either due to ego or design, has created a culture at OBD that prevents them from winning. They constantly turn over the roster, not allowing any continuity to grow. They invest money in the wrong players and trim the budget at the expense of depth in a sport where you're only as good as your weakest link.

The Bills are in bad shape. And after 12 years of futility, and 51 years of losing as a franchise, there's little reason to believe that's gonna change without a massive upheaval in the front office. Meaning Ralph himself.

Okay, from 2009 to 2011...

Points per game: from 16.1 (28th) to 23.2 (14th)

Sacks given up: from 46 (28th) to 23 (1st!!!)

Rushing yards: 1867 (16th) to 1961 (13th)

Passing yards: 2515 (30th) to 3703 (15th)

Touchdowns: 25 (29th) to 43 (11th)

There's your "abysmal" team. :lol: Any more questions?

PTR

So ... they're just barely above average in every stat you're lauding (but for sacks given up which is more a mirage than a real stat). And they're well below average in the stats that count: wins.

Yeah, I stand by abysmal.

I personally dont think the problem relies with Gailey......

Give him some groceries to work with for christ sake......instead of giving him injury prone "used to bes" and 7th round Danny Battens and undrafted players that might be good get some guys who have shown they can actually get it done.

Dont be afraid to bring in older veteran guys to be BACKUPS on the team.....just in case a starter goes down.

Biuld through the draft yes.....but add some free agency seasoning salt to your meal please.

1. Win Loss Record. The ONLY thing that matters. Since 2000, the Bills are 76-116. Over Chan's first 2 seasons, the record is even worse (10-22). As much of a trainwreck as Jauron was (and he was), the Bills have been worse than they were with DJ. Of course, that was to be expected due to the sheer lack of talent left on the roster when DJ left town. No one expected an overnight fix. But things haven't gotten better. They've at BEST stayed the same (we've improved on offense yet regressed on defense). At worse they've imploded. The second half of the season for the Bills showed how little talent they have on their roster (less depth than ANY OTHER TEAM IN THE NFL), and how flawed the team actually is.

2. Front office: The front office is out of touch with regards to what it takes to win in the NFL. They've got a retired GM who had never had the job before in Nix and has done very little to improve the amount of talent on the roster. Now, with a change of D coordinators, it seems likely that some of, if not most, of the Defensive players drafted by Nix will now have to adapt to a new system in which they're not a fit. The poor drafting continues, there's no depth at all on the roster despite having an excess of 30 million to spend. The front office's constant revolving door at positions of need (CB, RB, QB, WR, OL) is a cycle that shows no sign of stopping under Nix's regime.

3. Pass Rush: Simply the worst in the NFL. Bar none. There isn't a player on the roster that strikes fear into opponents' hearts. Maybe Dareus will get there, he's been a stud. But there isn't a single pass rusher on the roster. Merriman was done before he stepped on the field, and reaching for him and not adding any other talent in this area ties in to the utter ineptitude of the front office.

4. OL: You say sacks are down and they were. That wasn't due to the talent of the OL. It was due to the absolute lack of a downfield passing attack. It's hard to get sacks when your QB is throwing short routes. Give Fitz credit for a quick release, but the offensive gameplan of dink and dunk was designed to mask the OL's inability to pass block for more than 2 seconds. Pears, Harriston and Bell were average to below average when they had to block for longer than 2 seconds. No backup center on the roster, no backup guards and very limited talent at the OT position has doomed this team.

5. QB: Fitz is average at best. He has shown nothing to give anyone confidence he can deliver when it counts. He continues to come up small when it counts the most. Hurt or not, he showed absolutely no ability to throw deep and stretch a defense. Some of that can be blamed on the utter lack of talent at WR position, but most of it falls on Fitz's incapable shoulders. The fact that the organization continues to scramble for a franchise QB after 12 years of searching is terrible. The fact this team has never taken a QB with their first pick is even worse. It's a passing league. Hard to win in a league like that when you can't pass.

6. WRs: There isn't a single number 1 WR on the roster and hasn't been since Moulds left. That's a problem. Stevie is a number 2. Nelson is a solid 3. The rest of the WR corps would have a hard time making any other NFL roster let alone their starting rotation. There is an absolute lack of talent in the WR corps. Combine that with a weak QB and a subpar OL and you have a recipe for disaster.

7. Coaching: Chan's in game decisions have been suspect. The defense's inability to adjust was not just due to lack of talent, it was due to poor coaching and schemes. Changing from Edwards to Wanny won't be as big of a score as most on here believe. Mainly because he doesn't have the players to implement the scheme he's most familiar with. But also, if he is as good as some on here said, then he also has to bear some of the responsibility for the abortion that was on the field this year since he was the asst head coach.

I could go on ... The bottom line is that this all starts up top. Ralph, either due to ego or design, has created a culture at OBD that prevents them from winning. They constantly turn over the roster, not allowing any continuity to grow. They invest money in the wrong players and trim the budget at the expense of depth in a sport where you're only as good as your weakest link.

The Bills are in bad shape. And after 12 years of futility, and 51 years of losing as a franchise, there's little reason to believe that's gonna change without a massive upheaval in the front office. Meaning Ralph himself.

So ... they're just barely above average in every stat you're lauding (but for sacks given up which is more a mirage than a real stat). And they're well below average in the stats that count: wins.

Way to handle that gauntlet!

I still follow the KISS rule.......there is one aspect of this team that if it was turned into a strength would make this team look so different

THE DEFENSE

- It affects the offense in that if we were playing with a lead....Chan would run it more. The defense would literally save Chan from himself who looks for the excuse to go into a spread formation on 3rd and short.......it creates its own points.....creates good field position.....changes the play calling of the other team...changes the play calling of OUR team.....

Just fix that side of the ball......and everything will fall into place. Anybody else noticing that when we get defensive stops we generally have control of the game? It is when we start giving up points that the team goes in the toilet.

I suspect someone does not know the definition of "abysmal."

a : having immense or fathomless extension downward, backward, or inward <an abysmal cliff>

b : immeasurably great : profound <abysmal ignorance>

c : immeasurably low or wretched <abysmal living conditions of the poor>

So if 6-10 is abysmal, what is 2-14 or 0-16? When you say abysmal, tgreg, you suggest something that is at the very bottom of the barrel. Outside of interceptions, the Bills are not at rock bottom by any statistical measure.

Your critique of the front office is entirely subjective and inaccurate. Buddy Nix did not retire. That is an unsubstantiated rumor, so you are wrong right off the bat. The fact that he never had the job before is meaningless because the majority of GMs in the NFL are first-timers.

Your statement that the Bills have done little to improve the talent on the roster is also subjective and inaccurate. Nix added players like Scott Chandler, Eric Pears, Nick Barnett, Marcel Dareus, Aaron Williams, Kelvin Sheppard, and Justin Rogers. Would you describe these players as abysmal?

I could write much more, and I will when I have time. Right now I have a client project that has to go out by FedEx and my deadline is 6pm. But I already noted several major offensive categories that the Bills improved in dramatically that you chose to ignore. And while you and your fellow members of the Panty Wad Guild throw ill-informed opinions around as facts, I like to stick with measurables.

P.S...I love how you say the the stats I cited were "barely above-average" and that you stick to your abysmal description. Well, barely above average is still above average, and being above average means you are not abysmal! :doh:

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot