On Sunday one of the greatest minds born on 1/8

Beerball

Without googling...name one fundamental discovery he's made.

Of the top of my head: That there's a negative correlation between the number of equations in a book and the number of copies it will sell.

:D

He's one of a handful of guys that "popularizes" science. It's important that the masses have some understanding of what goes on in the world of theoretical physics. It helps to keep the charlatans of what Carl Sagan called "The Demon Haunted World" at bay. Neil deGrasse Tyson has taken up of the mantle nicely, IMHO.

We can't all be Sheldon Cooper like you Tom. :P

Of the top of my head: That there's a negative correlation between the number of equations in a book and the number of copies it will sell.

:D

He's one of a handful of guys that "popularizes" science. It's important that the masses have some understanding of what goes on in the world of theoretical physics. It helps to keep the charlatans of what Carl Sagan called "The Demon Haunted World" at bay. Neil deGrasse Tyson has taken up of the mantle nicely, IMHO.

We can't all be Sheldon Cooper like you Tom. :P

I don't disagree...but popularizing science isn't a fundamental discovery, and calling him a "great mind" without knowing anything he did is rather presumptuous. Mostly, people just celebrate him for being "That science guy with Lou Gehrig's disease," which is really kind-of insulting if you think about it.

(He figured out that black holes can, in fact, emit radiation. And eventually evaporate. It's called "Hawking radiation". That's probably his best-known theory.)

(And as a side note, very little science is "fundamental discovery". Most of it is mere button sorting and bottle washing. Including, arguably, Hawking radiation.)

That's why I said 'one of the greatest minds ever born on 1/8'. There are greater minds that were also born 1/8.

Hum....I wonder who that great mind would be?!

I will have my answer ready for 1/8!!!!

Edited by CowgirlsFan

Just a boy compared to my Grandfather at 92.

My grandmother's also 92.

And my grandmother worked on programs that involved **** for the Apollo program.

Does Hawking have anything on the moon?

Didn't think so. Grandma >> Hawking.