1 man, 2 years, 1 map

Beerball

Is it wrong to say that I much prefer the National Geographic map that the writer is using as a point of comparison? There are just huge blocks of gray forced by the only-horizontal type in Mr. Imus's map --- how the hell can you find anything?

The national scale map is not where Grant Park, the Sears Tower and Wrigley field should have a listing. People know those are in Chicago so what's the function? The level of detail for "points of interest" spots that have always and should be reserved for state-level and city-level maps, rather than in the sweeping view of the entire country one should get from a 3'x4' map. It's just not useful, for the same reason a picture of a tree from 500 feet away should not be the focus level where the stomata and chlorophyll are pointed out.

I get the impression that this guy is receiving praise because of the amount of time he invested in this. As for myself, I don't feel the impulse to congratulate someone for wasting their time.

To anyone who is unsatisfied with a National Geographic map, all I'll say is this is like a Dansani drinker who turns up his nose at Aquafina.

In the comments section below the article, it is evidently the mapmaker himself who wrote this:

I believe one of the reasons Americans don’t understand geography as well as they could is that they have never had maps that made geography understandable.

Yeah, I'm sure that's it. :rolleyes: