Bills won't Franchise Johnson

It's an easy assumption to make given his attitude on the field.

(Before anyone attacks me, I like SJ, I just think his antics are a bit selfish at times, which means he's likely a selfish person in general)

That's a poor assumption.

The facts are he wants 7.5 Mil a season. Which would be right around #15-20 WR money.

And yes he likes to celebrate but he also works hard in practice and in the film room.

So, if he knocks off the penalized celebrations and just comes up with a nice quick signature celebration that won't get penalized; like the Gronk Power Spike, Cam "Superman", Rodgers "Championship Belt" etc etc etc; Voila no more "selfishness."

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a meaningless game. If Gailey makes a rule and doesn't apply it he looks like a fool. Would you consider a style that Rex Ryan employs more apropos? How are the Jets doing these days? Sorry. NFL, College, High School...what the coach says is the law. You break the law, you pay the price. If SJ would rather do his own thing than listen to his coach then maybe we don't need him.

PTR

The Jets finished with a better record, and have fared better recently than we have. So, yes, I would prefer the Bills had a team like the Jets, as much as it kills me to say it.

Screw blind loyalty. I want to win.

I agree, but I'd like to see Gailey's direct quote about the "rule" he made. If it was, 'next time some guy gets a celebration penalty, I'm sitting them for the entire game', I can see the logic of following through. But if he just said 'there will be penalties for the next guy who does this', I feel different.

Its all moot, and you might be right that if SJ can't follow a coach's advice, he might not be worth the massive contract he wants.

Either way, its a sticky situation.

In terms of the coaching technique I prefer, I can't stand Rex Ryan. I prefer Belichick, Harbaugh, Fisher etc. I have never been a fan of blowhards, where its the laid back Rex approach or the in your face Parcells/Coughlin approach.

The rule was the next time a player hurts the team by getting a penalty for excessive celebration, he is benched for the rest of the game, and maybe the following game too. It was never do not celebrate. It was getting a penalty for it. That is why he felt he had to sit him the rest of the game. But again, Gailey knew he didn't intentionally flaunt the rules, and questioned why it was a penalty. But he made the rule and felt he had to stand by it. Stevie himself didn't even have a problem with it.

The facts are he wants 7.5 Mil a season. Which would be right around #15-20 WR money.

And yes he likes to celebrate but he also works hard in practice and in the film room.

So, if he knocks off the penalized celebrations and just comes up with a nice quick signature celebration that won't get penalized; like the Gronk Power Spike, Cam "Superman", Rodgers "Championship Belt" etc etc etc; Voila no more "selfishness."

I didn't say it's an accurate assumption. I said it's an easy assumption. Anyone who pulls that stunt off after repeated warnings either is stupid or selfish. I like his work ethic, I love his work ethic. But what drives it? Is it the need to win? Or is it the need to be better for his own sake? Is he going out there to prove himself? Or is he going out there win games?

So far, to me, he looks like he's going out there to be the best he can be and doesn't really care much about the team or wins and losses.

But again, that's just what I see. I don't know the guy at all. And also, I love his skill set and want to keep him on the Bills. But from what he's shown on the field, I have my doubts if he really truly cares about winning, or wants to be here, regardless of whatever PR cleanup he puts out.

The 7.5 mil are not facts. That is what his agent allegedly said. It may be true but is highly unlikely. Agents lie more than criminals to cops.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Stevie Johnson is more of a "Team Player" than 90% of the Bills.

He works his ass off in practice every single day, he works his ass off in the games, he comes prepared and knows his assignment, he plays hurt, he performs in games, he makes big plays, he scores touchdowns, he keeps the locker room loose and to a man his teammates love him from all indications, and he loves and promotes Buffalo and the Buffalo Bills. You don't get much more of a team player than that. Sorry. Despite his three penalties after 17 touchdowns.

I think the combination of these two is totally lost on everyone.

If people knew how hurt the guy was, as in, had to feel what he was feeling and then try to put up the kind of performance he did on the football field, they might have some perspective. Most of us would be crying through the whole game.

He is a fantastic team player and has made very few excuses notwithstanding the FB post, and excuses and blame in the face of shortcomings are what really characterizes someone as a prima donna. Stevie does not do that on gameday.

It was a meaningless game. If Gailey makes a rule and doesn't apply it he looks like a fool. Would you consider a style that Rex Ryan employs more apropos? How are the Jets doing these days? Sorry. NFL, College, High School...what the coach says is the law. You break the law, you pay the price. If SJ would rather do his own thing than listen to his coach then maybe we don't need him.

PTR

+1 !!

If people knew how hurt the guy was, as in, had to feel what he was feeling and then try to put up the kind of performance he did on the football field, they might have some perspective. Most of us would be crying through the whole game.

He is a fantastic team player and has made very few excuses notwithstanding the FB post, and excuses and blame in the face of shortcomings are what really characterizes someone as a prima donna. Stevie does not do that on gameday.

How is it lost?

Most of us want him to stay here while acknowledging he's done some stupid ****.

The people who don't expect him to be around next season assume so either because SJ's selfishness, or our FO's ineptness.

There's no question that SJ is our best WR and is a valuable asset to this team.

I agree, but I'd like to see Gailey's direct quote about the "rule" he made. If it was, 'next time some guy gets a celebration penalty, I'm sitting them for the entire game', I can see the logic of following through.

Ask and you shall receive:

"Q: What's your view of Stevie Johnson's penalty?

CG: Well, what we said after we had an issue earlier in the season was 'If anybody got a penalty that hurt our football team for any kind of demonstration, that he was out that game and then we would decide about the next game.' And so, if I say that, then I am going to do it, so he was out.

Linky

What's the source of your inside gouge on the details of SJ's injuries and how fantastic he is as a team player?

Not disagreeing, just curious

It was on 103.3 on Sunday morning, between 11:30-11:45 when I heard it. If you can find transcripts of the pre-game show on 103.3, then good on you.

Thanks Jerry. I believe you, I was just wondering why it wasn't picked up earlier. The reports that stated SJ wanted around $7.5 million were repeated by several different outlets.

I don't put much stock into what Chris Brown says anyways, he's more of a mouthpiece for the team than anything else.

Stevie Johnson is more of a "Team Player" than 90% of the Bills.

He works his ass off in practice every single day, he works his ass off in the games, he comes prepared and knows his assignment, he plays hurt, he performs in games, he makes big plays, he scores touchdowns, he keeps the locker room loose and to a man his teammates love him from all indications, and he loves and promotes Buffalo and the Buffalo Bills. You don't get much more of a team player than that. Sorry. Despite his three penalties after 17 touchdowns.

THIS

Stevie has a little swagger factor to boot! The Bills org is well under the league average in that!

I never believed that all Stevie asked for was 7.5 million.

I do not believe the Patriots incident will have any affect whatsoever on whether or not the Bills sign him.

And I do think there is a very good chance the Bills sign him.

He is also crazy, and stupid, if he does not test free agency, unless the Bills offer him what he is asking for, which they are very likely not going to do (only because it is a negotiation, and rarely, especially with a player who is very good but not elite like Stevie, get everything he and his agent ask for).

Going into free agency and seeing what the market bears has ZERO meaning to whether he wants to stay in Buffalo or not, or will re-sign with the Bills. None. It's the prudent, right thing to do, and every player would do it.

This is all awfully reasonable and intelligent.

Are you sure you've come to the right board? This is the "Ralph is cheap, the Bills suck, we're all doomed." website. :rolleyes:

To me, it sounds as if the Bills have sent their #1 shill to start thr negative PR campaign against Stevie, since they have no plans of re-signing him.

This.

How are the Bills replacing 70 catches and 1000 yards receiving next season? David Clowney, Marcus Easley, and whatever draft pick in all probability aren't doing it. They got a bonus when a 7th rounder hit. Now they're losing that because he's due a larger contract. One step forward and two back - again.

Those arent necessarily the facts, they're what his agent has said publicly. Also, the $7.5M could be what he is looking for as a base salary per year. This doesn't necessarily include signing bonuses, incentives etc. So he could be looking for a contract that pays him $7.5M per year but in total something like 6 years $60M.

Edited by Carey Bender

Thanks Jerry. I believe you, I was just wondering why it wasn't picked up earlier. The reports that stated SJ wanted around $7.5 million were repeated by several different outlets.

I don't put much stock into what Chris Brown says anyways, he's more of a mouthpiece for the team than anything else.

I agree about Chris Brown being a mouthpiece for the team. I hope Brown is wrong and the team resigns Johnson.

Compared to the 2008 WR draft class, Johnson has had the best stats from that group over the past 2 seasons:

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/1/5/2684814/2008-nfl-draft-stevie-johnson-jordy-nelson-desean-jackson

"We keep mentioning the last two seasons because, again, Johnson wasn't a significant part of Buffalo's offense until last season, when Chan Gailey arrived as the new head coach. Let's stack Johnson's numbers up versus the six names mentioned above (Bess, Jackson, Royal, Garcon, Nelson and Manningham) to see how each has performed in the last two years:

Name Rd. # Rec. Yds. Avg. TD

Stevie Johnson, BUF 7 224 158 2077 13.1 17

DeSean Jackson, PHI 2 49 98 2017 20.6 10

Jordy Nelson, GB 2 36 113 1845 16.3 17

Pierre Garcon, IND 6 205 137 1731 12.6 12

Mario Manningham, NYG 3 95 99 1467 14.8 13

Davone Bess, MIA UDFA 130 1357 10.4 8

Eddie Royal, DEN 2 42 78 782 10.0 4

There you have it: Johnson is tops in receptions, yards and touchdowns (despite one heck of a surge from Nelson in that department) amongst the 2008 NFL Draft receiver class over the past two seasons. Between Johnson, Nelson and Jackson, the poor draft class has been able to salvage a trio of really good receivers; add in Garcon and Manningham, not to mention a large contingent of productive depth options that we won't name here, and the class isn't all that bad at all.

Thankfully, Buffalo emerged with Johnson, and has allowed Bills fans to forget about 2008 second-round pick James Hardy, who has 10 receptions for 96 yards on his career."

Then you need to take a step back and think about the logical consequences of what you are saying.

You can put stock in the fact that Chris Brown is:

- fairly well informed on what's going on at OBD

- works hard not to say anything that would hurt the ownership

- rarely says anything surprising or controversial

- if he says anything attention-getting, it's with intent, to forward the cause of the team management

In other words - the team wants you to hear what CB says, and if he says something seemingly newsworthy, then you can assume he is expressing what OBD wants you to hear.

No - his opinions aren't balanced - he works for the team - but they are notable BECAUSE he works for the team.

Edited by BobChalmers

This.

How are the Bills replacing 70 catches and 1000 yards receiving next season? David Clowney, Marcus Easley, and whatever draft pick in all probability aren't doing it. They got a bonus when a 7th rounder hit. Now they're losing that because he's due a larger contract. One step forward and two back - again.

The only thing that gives me some hope in this are Ralph Wilson's comments about getting Fitz better weapons.

And before you start with "Ralph is cheap, blah, blah, blah" - consider he was willing to drop $7M/year on a OG (Dockery) plus $5M for a ORT (Walker) a few years ago when his management told him to. He also just gave Fitz $10M which is plenty for what Fitz has actually demonstrated in his career. If they like Stevie, they'll make him a good offer.

No, they won't overpay - $10M/year for Clements was a joke - and the 49ers have already dumped him since. Pretty sure they just upgraded at ILB dumping Poz for Barnett - and no, Poz was not a good deal at $7M per.

I strongly suspect if they let Stevie go it will be tied to replacing him with a different top FA WR they decide they like better.

Obviously, I'd rather they kept him, AND brought in another guy - we'll see.

(You do have to like how easily Stevie seems to deal with "Revis-Island".)

Edited by BobChalmers

The only thing that gives me some hope in this are Ralph Wilson's comments about getting Fitz better weapons.

I strongly suspect if they let Stevie go it will be tied to replacing him with a different top FA WR they decide they like better.

Obviously, I'd rather they kept him, AND brought in another guy - we'll see.

(You do have to like how easily Stevie seems to deal with "Revis-Island".)

Well, if Gailey can't reach him maybe someone else will have to step up. But if we decide not to resign him, then we are just adding to a list of needs.