If Peyton Manning goes to the Jets...

1billsfan

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You believe RGIII can match Peyton TD for TD?

Can RGIII sack Peyton?

Can RGIII intercept Peyton?

Can RGIII stop Peyton?

Can RGIII stop the run?

Why not? Isn't that the point of competition? We bet that our best guy will beat your best guy? I just don't get some Bills fans here. It's almost like they have this built in fear of success.

If I'm the Bills I target getting either RG III or Luck by whatever means, and that means even if it's for three 1s and two 2s. Then I say to the rest of the AFC East, come and get some!

BTW and in case you haven't heard, defense is dead and buried in this league because of the rule changes. Have you not seen the insane numbers put up this year by NFL QBs?

There are always ways to do it, especially if you are a "NYC" team. I wouldn't be surprised if there'd be a "wink wink, you'll get a part of the team" deal beyond what he gets as salary to get them under the cap.

I agree we suck but would argue that we were relevant as recently as a mere 12 years ago. Those defenses in 98 and 99 were among the best in the league.

If you strive to be a competitive organization, one that currently holds the longest streak in not making the playoffs, one that hasn't been relevant since the last time you had a franchise QB 15 years ago, one that (hypothetically) finds itself in a division with not one, but two of the greatest franchise QBs of all time...

If that doesn't force you to do what it takes to get RG III then that tells me they have no competitive bone in their bodies.

I agree we suck but would argue that we were relevant as recently as a mere 12 years ago. Those defenses of 98 and 99 were among the best in the league.

...wouldn't that almost force the Bills to make the boldest of moves and trade whatever picks it takes to get RG III?

I saw an article on Pro Football Talk and I could definitely see Peyton Manning going to the Jets. I almost hope this happens so it would pressure the Bills into finally getting their franchise QB.

I don't understand the logic in this post on all accounts.

1. why would peyton manning go to the same city where his brother plays? ya, they would rarely play one another, but it really seems unnecessary b/c the giants and jets DO have a rivalry despite barely playing one another, so it would automatically bring unnecessary stress to the family...especially considering peyton is ending his career...the mannings know that Eli has it pretty good right now in NY, and peyton coming here would only overshadow Eli...unnecessary stress/rivalry imo.

2. why would peyton manning want to play in the same division as Tom Brady? it's cute playing once a year in a non-divisional game, but why would you want to face him at least 2x's every year?

3. why would peyton manning want to play for a cold weather team to finish his career?

As for the Bills reactions to peyton manning..that makes no sense whatsoever. We already have Tom Brady in our division..what exactly would the bills be reacting to? At best, Manning would probably have 3 solid/great years left...why would the bills trade away 5 picks to move up 9 spots in order to counteract 3 years of manning? If we're going to trade away our entire draft to move up and get RGIII or Luck, then we're doing it b/c it's the best move for the franchise and not in reaction to another team's FA signing and/or trade.

Peyton Manning will never go to the Jets and the Jets would never be able to afford to add on that contract anyway.

Edited by bobobonators

Irsay needs Peyton Manning to pay the bills. That's the fundamental reason I believe he stays.

Getting the stadium built in Indy was no small feat and probably doesn't happen without Manning. The B.P. (before Peyton) era of Colts football was horrible. The city went crazy when they snuck into the playoffs in 1995 with Jim Harbaugh. The P.P. (post Peyton) era is shaping up to be just as bad.

The Colts had large gaps of playoff appearances. Since moving to Indy in 1984, they made the playoffs twice before 2000, a wild card game in 1988 and the improbable run in 1995.

It only happens if Manning wants to be traded and moves his bonus payment date back. I've seen nothing to suggest he's willing to do that and miss out on $28 million. I haven't seen anything to suggest Manning wants to play anywhere else but Indy. He's committed to Irsay and Caldwell.

The Colts would absorb a massive cap hit by paying him the bonus and then trading him. They can't do that.

Frankly, what team wouldn't be interested in trading for Peyton Manning? The Jets don't have the attractive pieces that say a Cleveland or equally high draft positioned team would have in sending back to Indy.

I still think the better move for Indy is to keep Manning, keep Wayne, trade out the 1st pick for a lot of picks and retool that defense. Even if Manning comes back and is all world, that defense can't stop anybody whatsoever. I think it's the perfect year to extort a Luck's ransom for that pick. It's far more valuable than previous #1s of recent drafts. The bidding war would probably reach to Herschel Walker trade heights.

Cleveland will get RG3.

What if Manning isn't all world. What if he doesn't make it through training camp? What if he plays, they win 8 games, retires and they are picking 12 or 13 in 2013?

Manning won a SB with the worst Colts D in years.

They will keep Manning and pick Luck. Crazy not to.

Cleveland will get RG3.

What if Manning isn't all world. What if he doesn't make it through training camp? What if he plays, they win 8 games, retires and they are picking 12 or 13 in 2013?

I agree. The only thing that may prevent this from happening is if Luck pulls an Eli and says that he will not sign with the Colts.

If I'm Luck, I do not want to go to Indy. Luck is kinda screwed either way if he goes to Indy: 1. If manning is healthy, Luck is going to be sitting on the bench for the next 3 years at least. Nobody with Luck's skills/talent wants to do that. Ya, rodgers did it, but rodgers slid on draft day and GB worked on Rodgers release/footwork over those years when he was on the sidelines.

2. If manning isn't healthy and Luck becomes the man pretty quickly, who wants to be the one that follows Manning? The shoes that Luck will have to step into and fill, can't be filled. Ya, young followed Montana and did well. Manning is arguably the greatest QB of all time though.

Ideally, Luck will land somewhere where he can be the starter from day 1 and won't be compared to the greatest QB of all time on a weekly basis. So again, if I'm luck, I pull an Eli and tell the colts, don't bother drafting me b/c I won't sign!

Cleveland will get RG3.

See, I think the best case scenario is that they keep Manning, trade out of the #1, renegotiate the contract, he plays a year, goes on to win those 8 games and retires, and the team picks 12th or 13th.

That way, you get your blue chips on defense in 2012, some cap and salary relief for 2013, and a high draft pick again 2013 to select players for the offense. Manning does the team a favor, and he rides off into the sunset of coaching or broadcasting as Indy's favorite son. Above all, you want to be free of as many of the old contracts...for Manning, Freeney, Saturday, etc by 2014 as possible. You want your 2014 season to be one where you can do some FA shopping to assemble talent around your draft picks.

The Colts defense was bad in it's Super Bowl season. It's current version is three times as bad and old. Manning or no Manning, they aren't going to stop anybody.

The only way Manning goes to the Jets is as an UFA. The Colts don't have a lot of options. They either cut him, renegotiate, or keep things as they are. They won't do anything before he passes a physical, probably in late February. They can't trade him until after the league year starts which is AFTER the due date for his $26m bonus and you don't trade players you just gave $26m to.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9