If Peyton Manning goes to the Jets...

1billsfan

...wouldn't that almost force the Bills to make the boldest of moves and trade whatever picks it takes to get RG III?

I saw an article on Pro Football Talk and I could definitely see Peyton Manning going to the Jets. I almost hope this happens so it would pressure the Bills into finally getting their franchise QB.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

And throw in Fisher to Coach the Fins, we're doomed to the basement of the AFC East for another 10 years.

Seriously, It would be funny to see him go to NY opposite his little brother.

Edited by CSBill

...wouldn't that almost force the Bills to make the boldest of moves and trade whatever picks it takes to get RG III?

I saw an article on Pro Football Talk and I could definitely see Peyton Manning going to the Jets. I almost hope this happens so it would pressure the Bills into finally getting their franchise QB.

I'd love to get RG3, but I don't see how Peyton Manning has anything to do with that...

Besides, let the Jets have Peyton, he's old and banged up. Best case scenario is you get a good year or two out of him and then you are back to nothing...Worst case scenario he can't throw well with a fused spine, or he has continued problems and can't play...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I can't imagine any way possible the Jets could get P. Manning and still wind up under the cap.

There are always ways to do it, especially if you are a "NYC" team. I wouldn't be surprised if there'd be a "wink wink, you'll get a part of the team" deal beyond what he gets as salary to get them under the cap.

I'd love to get RG3, but I don't see how Peyton Manning has anything to do with that...

If you strive to be a competitive organization, one that currently holds the longest streak in not making the playoffs, one that hasn't been relevant since the last time you had a franchise QB 15 years ago, one that (hypothetically) finds itself in a division with not one, but two of the greatest franchise QBs of all time...

If that doesn't force you to do what it takes to get RG III then that tells me they have no competitive bone in their bodies.

If you strive to be a competitive organization, one that currently holds the longest streak in not making the playoffs, one that hasn't been relevant since the last time you had a franchise QB 15 years ago, one that (hypothetically) finds itself in a division with not one, but two of the greatest franchise QBs of all time...

If that doesn't force you to do what it takes to get RG III then that tells me they have no competitive bone in their bodies.

Yeah but my point is shouldn't the Bills want to be competitive anyway? What the "other teams" do, shouldn't determine whether we try to get better. We should be doing what is best for our franchise regardless. Actually, the fact that we would be playing against 2 HOF QB's would seem to indicate we need a pass rusher or another DB, more than a QB, if you were picking players in a "reaction" style

Edited by Turbosrrgood

There are always ways to do it, especially if you are a "NYC" team. I wouldn't be surprised if there'd be a "wink wink, you'll get a part of the team" deal beyond what he gets as salary to get them under the cap.

No way. This is an NFL team from NYC not a struggling MLB or NHL team. No way would they give up partial ownership (especially for a 36 year old after missing an entire season with neck issues).

Edited by Mark80

It only happens if Manning wants to be traded and moves his bonus payment date back. I've seen nothing to suggest he's willing to do that and miss out on $28 million. I haven't seen anything to suggest Manning wants to play anywhere else but Indy. He's committed to Irsay and Caldwell.

The Colts would absorb a massive cap hit by paying him the bonus and then trading him. They can't do that.

Frankly, what team wouldn't be interested in trading for Peyton Manning? The Jets don't have the attractive pieces that say a Cleveland or equally high draft positioned team would have in sending back to Indy.

I still think the better move for Indy is to keep Manning, keep Wayne, trade out the 1st pick for a lot of picks and retool that defense. Even if Manning comes back and is all world, that defense can't stop anybody whatsoever. I think it's the perfect year to extort a Luck's ransom for that pick. It's far more valuable than previous #1s of recent drafts. The bidding war would probably reach to Herschel Walker trade heights.

IMO Manning wouldn't sign with the Jets he is so OPPOSITE to the way they act, I dont think he feel comfortable there. (Just My Opinion.) I mean think about it the JETS are loud mouth and obnoxious, where Manning is laid back and I don't think he ever said a bad thing about any team or player. That said I can see him going to SF.. Imagine that team with a Great QB with that DEFENSE shudder.... AKA I think he wants another ring.

Yeah but my point is shouldn't the Bills want to be competitive anyway? What the "other teams" do, shouldn't determine whether we try to get better. We should be doing what is best for our franchise regardless. Actually, the fact that we would be playing against 2 HOF QB's would seem to indicate we need a pass rusher or another DB, more than a QB, if you were picking players in a "reaction" style

Yes, they should be competitive. But taking a conservative approach still may mean to them that they're still competing. Manning going to the Jets should be the proverbial bucket of ice water being thrown into the faces of the Buffalo Bills.

We've been through 15 years of flawed QBs. Manning to the Jets should shock this organization to understand that they need to stop hoping for the underdog QBs to turn out great and just go grab a great one.

As for pass rushers, both Brady and Manning get rid of the ball too quickly...this team needs to outscore the league. The NFL has become Arena football.

As for pass rushers, both Brady and Manning get rid of the ball too quickly...this team needs to outscore the league. The NFL has become Arena football.

Rushing Brady has seemed to work pretty well for the Giants...

So basically you are saying that Brady and Manning are so good that we shouldn't even bother trying to stop them, just out score them? Two of the best QB's ever? I guess we have a fundamental difference of opinion, because I just don't see how that could work.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Rushing Brady has seemed to work pretty good for the Giants...

That really depends WHERE the pressure comes from. If you get it right up the middle it bothers Brady 9As it does any NON Mobile QB.) But if it is on the edges he LIKE Manning can buy time stepping up etc.

Indy will either cut Manning or keep him.. I do Not see them being able to trade him BEFORE that bonus Money is do.

The question is whether or not Indy would rather have money or compensation for Manning. If they pay the bonus, Manning suddenly becomes easy to trade - the new team only has to manage a $8M base salary or so. That's cheap for a starting QB as we learned with the Fitz contract, much less for Peyton. So that might earn them a first round pick.

The question is if a first round pick is worth $30M to the Irsays. Seems like a stretch, but I think it's the only way the Colts trade Peyton. Otherwise, he'll be kept or cut on their end.

I think it's not impossible that Peyton just chooses to retire.

Edited by silvermike

Rushing Brady has seemed to work pretty well for the Giants...

So basically you are saying that Brady and Manning are so good that we shouldn't even bother trying to stop them, just out score them? Two of the best QB's ever? I guess we have a fundamental difference of opinion, because I just don't see how that could work.

Who'd you rather have on the Bills right now, Cam Newton or Jason Pierre Paul?

Yes. Scoreboard.