Sheppard at OLB?

If they switch to a 4-3 virtually every player is a better fit with the exception of Sheppard. No way he can play MLB. Does anyone know if he played outside at anytime at LSU? Maybe he can be the MLB on passing downs but his coverage was not good. Is that skill or experience? Love our current DL in a 4-3. Hate our OLB's.

That's my thinking as well. I guess we'd try and keep sheppard at. MLB, have him learn from Barnett and hope for the best. Hard to say, but it's the only issue I have with a move to the 3-4. Other than that, our personnel works better in a 4-3.

If they switch to a 4-3 virtually every player is a better fit with the exception of Sheppard. No way he can play MLB. Does anyone know if he played outside at anytime at LSU? Maybe he can be the MLB on passing downs but his coverage was not good. Is that skill or experience? Love our current DL in a 4-3. Hate our OLB's.

Curious why you think he can't play MLB. Please elaborate.

No way he can play MLB.

Explain why you think that Sheppard can't play MLB. He is big, fast, a hard hitter, and he is smart. He has the talent and he has learning ability. So why do you feel he can't play the position?

So many times when reading posting on this wall, I read something that makes me feels this guy just throws something out there as if it were a fact without really knowing what he is talking about. Your post gives me that feeling. Defend your opinion if you can. I can't wait to read your explanation.

I think the real question is between Barnett and Sheppard. Who plays OLB and who plays MLB? Then who plays Will or Sam? IMO, Barnett is a better fit at Will, Sheppard at Sam, but he may not have the athleticism to cover TE's.

Not to mention Kelsay is the only 4-3 DE on the roster.....

The problem is that he can't shed a block to save his life. He is a better fit at weak side anyway where he can be protected a bit more.

No 1. He's a rookie. It's a known fact that most players improve with experience. Sheppard will get better at shedding blocks in my opinion; AND

No. 2. A MLB in a 4-3 doesn't generally have as many blockers to shed due to the fact that there is one more large body occupying O-lineman in front of him.

I think it's much more likely that Barnett moves to OLB, a position that he not only played in college but also played in spot duty in Green Bay.

Sheppard, in my opinion, can grow into the MLB position with more playing time.

As to the comment about protecting him, Sheppard will get much more protection playing MLB behind Dareus and Williams than he would playing OLB off the shoulder of either Kelsay or whatever rookie likely starts at DE.

No 1. He's a rookie. It's a known fact that most players improve with experience. Sheppard will get better at shedding blocks in my opinion; AND

No. 2. A MLB in a 4-3 doesn't generally have as many blockers to shed due to the fact that there is one more large body occupying O-lineman in front of him.

Not to mention he missed most of training camp with an injury.

I think the real question is between Barnett and Sheppard. Who plays OLB and who plays MLB? Then who plays Will or Sam? IMO, Barnett is a better fit at Will, Sheppard at Sam, but he may not have the athleticism to cover TE's.

Carrington played DE in a 4-3 in college, he could very well drop some weight and play there again

I still haven't seen anything saying the Bills will completely change back to a 4-3. Obviously with Wanny that is a possibility, but it's also possible he keeps a 3-4 going.

Regardless I think Barnett has to be our #1 MLB for the moment, with Sheppard as his backup (or ILB in 3-4). He played MLB in college, and I don't know if he has the speed or coverage ability to OLB, I doubt it. It's possible that he would make a better 4-3 MLB than 3-4 ILB though, since he did pretty well with it in college. Morrison may also be in the mix there somewhere...

That's the scary thing about the 4-3 for the Bills. They would need to find 2 capable 4-3 OLB's (I don't think they have a single one now), plus depth. On top of that they need a good edge rusher, something no where to be found on the Bills roster. Kelsay could be a good Hansen type of DE, but they need a true pass rusher on the other side. I just don't see them being able to fill all these holes.

On the flip side, they have don't really have any 3-4 OLB's either (Merriman when healthy, Kelsay not his real position). IMO they certainly are closer to a 3-4 roster than a 4-3...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Carrington played DE in a 4-3 in college, he could very well drop some weight and play there again

Carriington might be better in a 4/3 Troupe if healthy would only be a very situational player.

they could go 4/3 heavy on running downs edwards , troupe,williams , daruis

They will draft Quinton Coples from Carolina and that problem goes away.

Explain why you think that Sheppard can't play MLB. He is big, fast, a hard hitter, and he is smart. He has the talent and he has learning ability. So why do you feel he can't play the position?

So many times when reading posting on this wall, I read something that makes me feels this guy just throws something out there as if it were a fact without really knowing what he is talking about. Your post gives me that feeling. Defend your opinion if you can. I can't wait to read your explanation.

From what I have seen the guy is not a playmaker and gets eaten up on blocks as well. Pitiful in pass coverage. For his size and speed he does not look good to me as a run stuffer or a guy that can drop back and cover anyone. I was disappointed in him this year.

IMO, kelsay and AC would be the ends with dareus,williams inside. Troupe, Edwards, Johnson, and heard would all be rotational guys

I like Kelsay and Carrington individually. They are decent players...I just don't see any sort of consistent pass rush coming from that combo though. 1 of those guys starting would be fine, but we need at least one true pass rusher if this defense is going to compete IMO.

You make good points, but Barnett most definitely has the athleticism to cover TE's...That might be his best trait. He is very fast, and by far our best cover LB. That question mark is valid for Sheppard though.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I like Kelsay and Carrington individually. They are decent players...I just don't see any sort of consistent pass rush coming from that combo though. 1 of those guys starting would be fine, but we need at least one true pass rusher if this defense is going to compete IMO.

The thing about AC is that as soon as we drafted him, he was asked to change his game to a run stopping 3-4 end. That wasn't his game coming out, so maybe if he switches back to what "brought him to the dance" he will shine. That's the hope at least.

the 2012 season will answer a lot of questions for me... I think the team needs to stay with a solid 4-3 system, and I am seriously hoping to see Shawn Merriman return from his surgery, and Torrel Troup who was definitely showing signs of being a solid pick. Dave Wanstedt employs a stout defensive scheme, and if the team drafts a potential elite pass rushing OLB, along with either a corner that can actually cover, or a can't miss DE, the defense will actually start to win some games for them next year.

Sprinkle in some depth at O-line and take a shot at a skill position, and success will then rest on how well Fitzpatrick can deliver the ball. Except for the seriously delusional, I think the majority here can agree the Bills probably have the best backfield tandem going into next season, and very likely the long term answer at RB on the roster. WR needs to be an offensive priority, since depth was a major issue. I think Chan Gailey needs to balance his attack slightly, but that becomes a non issue if what he is calling is executed correctly.