Rating the Bills Drafts

CSBill

The Buffalo News article on this year's draft class got me to thinking . . .

Rating the Bills drafts over the past five years. Here’s a summary of each, with a few comments. I highlighted the people (in bold & underlined) who are still on the team. And for what it’s worth, my Grade based on what they mean to the team NOW.

First round: Donte Whitner, S, Ohio State

and DT John McCargo North Carolina State

3rd round: Ashton Youboty, CB, Ohio State

4th Round: Ko Simpson, S, South Carolina

5th round: Kyle Williams, DT, LSU

and Brad Butler, T, Virginia

6th round: Keith Ellison, LB Oregon State

7th round: Terrance Pennington, T

and Aaron Merz, G

Mixed results, Whitner was/is a solid player (hey, he’s now a Pro Bowler), but never deserving of a top 10 pick, Williams has been gold, unfortunately Butler quit—would have been a mainstay of the line for years, the rest—except Merz all played, but basically an uninspiring crew.

My Present Grade = C- (Six years out, only one still on the team, but a good one)

1st round: Marshawn Lynch, RB, Cal

2nd round: Paul Posluszny, LB, Penn State

3rd Round: Trent Edwards, QB, Stanford

4th round: Dwayne Wright, RB, Fresno State

6th round: John Wendling, DB, Wyoming

7th round: Derek Schouman, TE, Boise State

and C.J. Ah You DE Oklahoma

Only Wright and Ah You didn’t start at some time, the rest were productive players. The best of the crew was Lynch. Poz was good—not great, Edwards had his moments—but never recovered form that concussion. A solid draft on paper and in hindsight, but they just never won anything. Depressingly, not one of them is still with the team.

My Present Grade = F (nothing to say)

2008:

1st round: Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy

2nd round: James Hardy, WR, Indiana

3rd round: Chris Ellis, DE, Va Tech

4th round: Reggie Corner, CB, Akron,

and Derek Fine, TE, Kansas

5th round: Alvin Bowen, LB, Iowa State

6th round: Xavier Omon, RB, Northwest Missouri State

7th round: Demtrius Bell, T, Northwestern-Louisiana State,

Steve Johnson, WR, Kentucky,

and Kannard Cox, CB, Pittsburgh [Kannard Who?]

Leodis is, well “Leodis”—another #1 waste. Bell has proved to be a serviceable OT. Johnson has turned out to be the gem of this draft (probably the entire draft). The rest: “we hardly knew you?” All-in-all, accept for the hits on two 7th round crap shoots, a very poor year.

My Grade = D+ (Johnson & Bell keep it from total failure)

1st round: Aaron Maybin, DE, Penn State

and Eric Wood, OL, Louisville

2nd round: Jarius Byrd, S, Oregon,

and Andy Levitre, G, Oregon State

4th round: Shawn Nelson, TE, Southern Mississippi

5th round: Nic Harris, LB, Oklahoma

6th round: Clay Harris, DB, USC

7th round: Ellis Lankster, DB, WA Viriginia

The awful mistake at the top hurts this class, but Woods, Byrd, and Levitre help make up for that mistake. The rest, are any of them still in the league less than 3 years later? Think about it: three for eight???

My Grade = B- (the big three save this class, but you can’t swing and miss this bad with a 1st round pick)

1st round: C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson

2nd round: Torrell Troupe, DT, Central Florida

3rd round: Alex Carrington, DL, Arksansas State

4th round: Marcus Easely, WR, Connecticut ??

5th round: Ed Wang, T, VA Tech

6th round: Arthuor Moats, LB, James Madison,

Danny Batten, LB, South Dakota State

Spiller was a reach: he’s a capable RB, but still yet to live up to his status as a #9 over-all pick. The rest of them: 2, 3, 4?, and 6 & 6 are all back-up and special team level players. Aaaahhhhh? Not a good one! However, the free-agent pick-ups in this year may the best of them all: Nelson, Jones, Roosevelt, . . .

My Grade = C (with much to prove next season—this one could go up or down dramatically a year from now)

1st Round: Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama

2nd Round: Aaron Williams, CB, Texas

3rd Round: Kelvin Sheppard, LB, LSU

4th Round: Da’Norris Searcy, S, North Carolina

4th Round: Chris Hairston, OT, Clemson

5th Round: Johnny White, RB, North Carolina

6th Round: Chris White, LB, Mississippi State

7th Round: Justin Rogers, CB, Richmond

and Michael Jasper, OL, Bethel

(All still with the team) Darius is the best #1 pick in a decade- or more? Williams, Sheppard, & Hairston are regular starters—and each shows promise od staying around awhile. The rest have all shown potential. So far, it has been looked good.

My Grade = B+ (based on immediate contribution, but only time will tell)

Your thoughts? Flame away . . .

Edited by CSBill

The Buffalo News article on this year's draft class got me to thinking . . .

Rating the Bills drafts over the past five years. Here’s a summary of each, with a few comments. I highlighted the people (in bold & underlined) who are still on the team. And for what it’s worth, my Grade based on what they mean to the team NOW.

First round: Donte Whitner, S, Ohio State

and DT John McCargo North Carolina State

3rd round: Ashton Youboty, CB, Ohio State

4th Round: Ko Simpson, S, South Carolina

5th round: Kyle Williams, DT, LSU

and Brad Butler, T, Virginia

6th round: Keith Ellison, LB Oregon State

7th round: Terrance Pennington, T

and Aaron Merz, G

Mixed results, Whitner was/is a solid player (hey, he’s now a Pro Bowler), but never deserving of a top 10 pick, Williams has been gold, unfortunately Butler quit—would have been a mainstay of the line for years, the rest—except Merz all played, but basically an uninspiring crew.

My Present Grade = C- (Six years out, only one still on the team, but a good one)

1st round: Marshawn Lynch, RB, Cal

2nd round: Paul Posluszny, LB, Penn State

3rd Round: Trent Edwards, QB, Stanford

4th round: Dwayne Wright, RB, Fresno State

6th round: John Wendling, DB, Wyoming

7th round: Derek Schouman, TE, Boise State

and C.J. Ah You DE Oklahoma

Only Wright and Ah You didn’t start at some time, the rest were productive players. The best of the crew was Lynch. Poz was good—not great, Edwards had his moments—but never recovered form that concussion. A solid draft on paper and in hindsight, but they just never won anything. Depressingly, not one of them is still with the team.

My Present Grade = F (nothing to say)

2008:

1st round: Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy

2nd round: James Hardy, WR, Indiana

3rd round: Chris Ellis, DE, Va Tech

4th round: Reggie Corner, CB, Akron,

and Derek Fine, TE, Kansas

5th round: Alvin Bowen, LB, Iowa State

6th round: Xavier Omon, RB, Northwest Missouri State

7th round: Demtrius Bell, T, Northwestern-Louisiana State,

Steve Johnson, WR, Kentucky,

and Kannard Cox, CB, Pittsburgh [Kannard Who?]

Leodis is, well “Leodis”—another #1 waste. Bell has proved to be a serviceable OT. Johnson has turned out to be the gem of this draft (probably the entire draft). The rest: “we hardly knew you?” All-in-all, accept for the hits on two 7th round crap shoots, a very poor year.

My Grade = D+ (Johnson & Bell keep it from total failure)

1st round: Aaron Maybin, DE, Penn State

and Eric Wood, OL, Louisville

2nd round: Jarius Byrd, S, Oregon,

and Andy Levitre, G, Oregon State

4th round: Shawn Nelson, TE, Southern Mississippi

5th round: Nic Harris, LB, Oklahoma

6th round: Clay Harris, DB, USC

7th round: Ellis Lankster, DB, WA Viriginia

The awful mistake at the top hurts this class, but Woods, Byrd, and Levitre help make up for that mistake. The rest, are any of them still in the league less than 3 years later? Think about it: three for eight???

My Grade = B- (the big three save this class, but you can’t swing and miss this bad with a 1st round pick)

1st round: C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson

2nd round: Torrell Troupe, DT, Central Florida

3rd round: Alex Carrington, DL, Arksansas State

4th round: Marcus Easely, WR, Connecticut ??

5th round: Ed Wang, T, VA Tech

6th round: Arthuor Moats, LB, James Madison,

Danny Batten, LB, South Dakota State

Spiller was a reach: he’s a capable RB, but still yet to live up to his status as a #9 over-all pick. The rest of them: 2, 3, 4?, and 6 & 6 are all back-up and special team level players. Aaaahhhhh? Not a good one! However, the free-agent pick-ups in this year may the best of them all: Nelson, Jones, Roosevelt, . . .

My Grade = C (with much to prove next season—this one could go up or down dramatically a year from now)

1st Round: Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama

2nd Round: Aaron Williams, CB, Texas

3rd Round: Kelvin Sheppard, LB, LSU

4th Round: Da’Norris Searcy, S, North Carolina

4th Round: Chris Hairston, OT, Clemson

5th Round: Johnny White, RB, North Carolina

6th Round: Chris White, LB, Mississippi State

7th Round: Justin Rogers, CB, Richmond

and Michael Jasper, OL, Bethel

(All still with the team) Darius is the best #1 pick in a decade- or more? Williams, Sheppard, & Hairston are regular starters—and each shows promise od staying around awhile. The rest have all shown potential. So far, it has been looked good.

My Grade = B+ (based on immediate contribution, but only time will tell)

Your thoughts? Flame away . . .

Reggie Corner is still on the team! Think u missed that one, and he has been OK when needed!

2006-F: Donte is not a pro bowler. Terrible draft and a sign of the of things to come. Unbelievable draft day ineptitude that has destroyed this team.

2007-F: PUKE

2008- F: HOLY EFFING SH*T ARE THEY F*CKING WITH US!!!!!!!!!!!

2009- C-: The Maybin pick kills this class. The players that they passed on in the first round makes me sick to my stomach. Orakpo was such a no brainer that my Mom had him going to the Bills in her mock draft.

2010- F: The genius Buddy Nix first draft and more of the same. Not one impact player taken on defense. A bunch of backups from small schools. The baby is ugly Buddy.

2011- B: Dareus, who fell in their laps, will be a pro bowler for years to come. If Williams can stay healthy he looks good. Sheppard looks like a 43 WLB to me. We'll see what Hairston can do with a full year as a starter. Rodgers might be a player.

2006-F: Donte is not a pro bowler. Terrible draft and a sign of the of things to come. Unbelievable draft day ineptitude that has destroyed this team.

2007-F: PUKE

2008- F: HOLY EFFING SH*T ARE THEY F*CKING WITH US!!!!!!!!!!!

2009- C-: The Maybin pick kills this class. The players that they passed on in the first round makes me sick to my stomach. Orakpo was such a no brainer that my Mom had him going to the Bills in her mock draft.

2010- F: The genius Buddy Nix first draft and more of the same. Not one impact player taken on defense. A bunch of backups from small schools. The baby is ugly Buddy.

2011- B: Dareus, who fell in their laps, will be a pro bowler for years to come. If Williams can stay healthy he looks good. Sheppard looks like a 43 WLB to me. We'll see what Hairston can do with a full year as a starter. Rodgers might be a player.

:blink:

It's nothing short of AMAZING that a professional sports organization can draft this poorly this consistently.

Simply amazing.

I could do better just reading free draft pubs. Seriously, I could. For free.

:blink:

It's nothing short of AMAZING that a professional sports organization can draft this poorly this consistently.

Simply amazing.

I could do better just reading free draft pubs. Seriously, I could. For free.

I think for the first three or four rounds, it would be easy to do a better job. Some of the late round picks have been pretty surprising. But, yeah, pretty awful for a professional organization.

I think last year's draft was pretty good. I've been pleased at the progress and the play of the guys selected. I don't think you can go wrong drafting from the SEC and winning college programs.

That being said, there are fans on this board that do an outstanding job at identifying needs, picking players, and analysis. I've been impressed since I joined the board and draft time...is the most fun time I have on the board. I've been impressed at the draft aptitude of some of the folks on here, watching their selections, especially the later rounds, go on to successful careers with other teams.

I think for the first three or four rounds, it would be easy to do a better job. Some of the late round picks have been pretty surprising. But, yeah, pretty awful for a professional organization.

Just looking at D linemen, I find in inexcusable that the Bills passed on Ngata and then traded up to take McCargo. Who made that call. In addition, you pass on Arakpo, who had Pro Bowl written all over him him most accounts and reach for Maybin? No way.

Just those two draft blunders, and those alone should get people fired, but Ralph runs the organization like it's the family

corner store, and because an NFL team is guaranteed millions $ every year, he gets away with it.

I think last year's draft was pretty good. I've been pleased at the progress and the play of the guys selected. I don't think you can go wrong drafting from the SEC and winning college programs.

That being said, there are fans on this board that do an outstanding job at identifying needs, picking players, and analysis. I've been impressed since I joined the board and draft time...is the most fun time I have on the board. I've been impressed at the draft aptitude of some of the folks on here, watching their selections, especially the later rounds, go on to successful careers with other teams.

This year's draft will be interesting. Since the 2011 draft was the best one in a long time, will the 2012 draft also be good, or was the 2011 draft an aberration? I will be counting on the commentary from this forum to get some feedback as the draft picks come in. As a Bills fan, the draft becomes an event to anticipate, and the emotions can go anywhere from jubilation to despair. A range of emotions that most Bills fans can understand.