Dr. Jeckl and Mr. Hyde the tale of the 2011 Buffalo Defense

Lenigmusx

In 3 games this year Buffalo Defense was among the most agressive in the league. When the Defense played a style of attack and persue football they were successful. Every time they settle into Edwards read and react hybrid B.S. the gave up HUGE Chunks of yardage and tons of points.

K.C. - 213 Total net Yards

Matt Cassel- 22/36 - 119 1 TD 1 Int

Jamal Charles 10 att 56 yds (Alot after the game was decided)

Attacked KC from the beginning of the game brought a pass rush and got in Cassel face!

Redskins- 178 total net yards

John Beck 20/33 208 yds 0 TDs 2 ints

Ryan Torain 8 att 14 yds

Attacked John Beck beginning to end of the game

Denver- 293 total net yards

Tim Tebow- 13/30 185 yds 1 TD 4 ints

Willis McGahee 15 att 64 yds

Attacked Tebow made him roll right and try to to make impossible throws against the grain (Actually they did this a little against Michael Vick too and even though it was working inexplicable stopped). They were in his face all day!

Buffalo total yds over the 3 games- 1105

Total points- 104

Opponents total yards over the 3 games- 783

Total points- 20

The point being when they attacked they were successful. However they were afraid to attack much of the year and everytime Edwards settled into a read and react Defense they were unsuccessful. It doesn't matter if it is a 3/4 or a 4/3 players need to be in a position to use their talents to be successful and help the team. Saturday was a perfect example. Case and point is Chris Kelsay: Many of us have ridiculed Kelsey's play for years but Saturday he looked like a Pro Bowler. This was because someone finally figured out how to free him up in space using him sometimes as a D end sometimes as and OLB. He had space to shed his first blocker and when this happened he was able to set the edge and then attack. This is his skill set who cares if he is labeled OLB or DE use his skill set.

What made this possible was the attack first mentality of the line and the linebackers. It would seem that less attention was paid to Gap responsibility and more attention was paid to getting up field and attacking the ball carrier. A la the Baltimore Ravens and the Pittsburgh Steelers (Dick Labeau). This will create vulnerablity to cut back runners (Chris Johnson) and screen teams the Patriots but that can be game planned as well. The attack first style of Defense just fits the majority of this teams players skill sets much better than the read and react style. This "D" can not function in Walt Corey's bend but don't break 3/4 because it will break everytime. Today's NFL is not well suited to that type of Defense anyway.

In the other 12 games this year Buffalos opponents have gained- 4683 yds

The Bills have Gained- 4117 yds

In these games Buffalo was out gained by 566 total yds

3 of these games were victories but I would say none of them feature the Mr. Jeckl Defense but instead the Dr. Hyde mambee pambee read and react Defense. This would indicate that the Offense is indeed good enough and perhaps the Defense is good enough as well if Edwards would be more agreessive and abondon the read and react and run some Zone Blitz packages so on and so forth. This team could be 9-5 right now but the hope is after watching film and analyzing the season a new defensive coordinator could make this team a 12-4 team next year. We shall see but at least the team is young.

Edited by Lenigmusx

I agree but look at the offense we just attacked. I will be a different story come Sunday.

Will the result be any different if we attack or if we get burned sitting on our heels playing read and react? A TD for the opponent is 6 pts either way if we attack maybe Brady will throw 4 picks again.

Will the result be any different if we attack or if we get burned sitting on our heels playing read and react? A TD for the opponent is 6 pts either way if we attack maybe Brady will throw 4 picks again.

My point is that Denver's offense is more basic than NE's.

The first Pats game we played a predominant (with variations, including a 3/5) 3/4 more (which is the Bill's tendency against teams with a good oline and "in the pocket" passer) against the teams that had a runner for a QB, or just a strong running game we played much more 4/3 (Cinny being the exception and then their young QB lite it up). I think that is the Jekyll and Hyde our 4/3 is better personnel and maybe coaching wise.

I think Edwards or who ever came up with our "Hybrid" has overthunk it and honestly just made it too complicated. I thought so at the end of last season when all the players stated getting it more, and then we had pretty big turn over in key positions coming into the year but the D did okay. This year we had turnover because of injury, and it dropped off. I think it is just hard to plug and play, players into it, seems too complicated to me.

The first Pats game we played a predominant (with variations, including a 3/5) 3/4 more (which is the Bill's tendency against teams with a good oline and "in the pocket" passer) against the teams that had a runner for a QB, or just a strong running game we played much more 4/3 (Cinny being the exception and then their young QB lite it up). I think that is the Jekyll and Hyde our 4/3 is better personnel and maybe coaching wise.

I think Edwards or who ever came up with our "Hybrid" has overthunk it and honestly just made it too complicated. I thought so at the end of last season when all the players stated getting it more, and then we had pretty big turn over in key positions coming into the year but the D did okay. This year we had turnover because of injury, and it dropped off. I think it is just hard to plug and play, players into it, seems too complicated to me.

4/3 amd or 3/4 aside it is a problem with the approach when this defense attacks it creates turnover opportunities! Even if they give up yards the will win if they turn the ball over. When they play read and react they are on the heels and still give up a ton of points and it is compounded by the fact that they don't create turnovers when they are passive. This then puts pressure on Fitz and he self-destructs creating a double edge sword that the team can not overcome. IMO