Refs are intentionally miscalling games

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay thanks for talking down to me like I am an idiot, I really enjoy being patronized on a fanboard and it makes me oh so effing happy to engage in a dialog with you.

So why haven't they done what I said and made the penalty calls reviewable, (by throwing the red flag, just so you don't misunderstand me) admitting a mistake after a game is over is a completely different thing.

If the reporter did report about the "massive game fixing scandal","the NFL, the mafia, or space aliens" would probably have him killed or ruin him one way or another. Who the eff knows why OJ was framed? (see at least I have a sense of humor)

BTW with out looking it up tell me the name of the "famous BALCO" reporter, you can't, or you would have used it in your post.

Bottom line: I never said I believed that game fixing was happening, I only said things about why we wouldn't find out if it was. And yeah I probably did see "follow the money on TV" what you are to smart to ever repeat something you heard on tv?

Last point, fans of winning teams don't follow the Buffalo Bills.

Happy effing boxing day.

Oh, so the guy who broke the BALCO story (Mark Fainaru-Wada with Lance Williams) are not as famous as I claimed...because I didn't name them in my reply? You're joking, right?

Look, if you don't want to be "patronized on a fanboard", don't write posts like this.

Anyway, the NFL already has far more instant replay review (and even on field discussion of calls amongst refs after calls) than ANY other sports league. And you want more calls to be reviewed...by whom? If the league is "in on it", who will reveiw/overturn the refs obvious "fix-is-in" call during the game? The Justice Department, perhaps?

WEO's been a ref apologist as long as I've known him. The only bad calls are the (rare) ones in the Bills' favor and the Giants getting away with holding on Manning's miracle throw to David Tyree in the Patriots SB upset.

An "apologist" huh, doc? Fans have been complaining about refs in the NFL for decades, yet there is no scandal. There is no "fix" come to light despite all of the "obvious" calls. You are one of the "it could be happening" because "it's happened before" guys. Donaghy was busted fixing games in the NBA because the someone talked (as they always do) to the FBI as they were investigating other mob activities. He was one guy. You are implicsating the entire ref crew in the NFL.

Look, doc, you're well known as a big ref/conspiracy guy here, but my opinion is that bad calls are just that. Not going along with the vocal few in the wacky conspiracy group (who are always looking to pin the Bills' poor performance on anyone or anything other than where it belongs) hardly makes me "an apologist". Thanks for another laugh though.

An "apologist" huh, doc? Fans have been complaining about refs in the NFL for decades, yet there is no scandal. There is no "fix" come to light despite all of the "obvious" calls. You are one of the "it could be happening" because "it's happened before" guys. Donaghy was busted fixing games in the NBA because the someone talked (as they always do) to the FBI as they were investigating other mob activities. He was one guy. You are implicsating the entire ref crew in the NFL.

Look, doc, you're well known as a big ref/conspiracy guy here, but my opinion is that bad calls are just that. Not going along with the vocal few in the wacky conspiracy group (who are always looking to pin the Bills' poor performance on anyone or anything other than where it belongs) hardly makes me "an apologist". Thanks for another laugh though.

You being a ref apologist has nothing to do with conspiracy theories, doc. And again, whether there's a conspiracy is far from a closed case. You're well-known as a concrete thinker. What you see is what you believe. That's fine. Hopefully Santa brought you many nice gifts this past weekend to celebrate baby Jesus' birth. Ho, ho, ho.

Edited by Doc

You being a ref apologist has nothing to do with conspiracy theories, doc. And again, whether there's a conspiracy is far from a closed case. You're well-known as a concrete thinker. What you see is what you believe. That's fine. Hopefully Santa brought you many nice gifts this past weekend to celebrate baby Jesus' birth. Ho, ho, ho.

Wow--bringing religious believe in to bolster your argument. The stench of despair rises from your post. So your logic now goes: if I believe in Baby Jesus, then I should believe your contention that there is a conspiracy for refs to fix the outcome of games--because neither has yet to be proven and htey are equivalent.

I'm just going to let that stand as it is....

(awesome)

Weo, you didn't say who it was and I called you out on it because of it, so you went and looked it up. :devil: Knew you would, so no I wasn't joking.

Anyway, the NFL already has far more instant replay review (and even on field discussion of calls amongst refs after calls) than ANY other sports league. And you want more calls to be reviewed...by whom? If the league is "in on it", who will reveiw/overturn the refs obvious "fix-is-in" call during the game? The Justice Department, perhaps?

No, I never said THAT not in my first post, nor in my second. I said they should be just like any other challenge that they can make right now.

Here, I'll say it again in a fully complete version so you can understand. Throw out the red flag, if you are right, no TO charged to the team. 2 per game for each team (if you are right on 2, a 3rd is allowed). A penalty should be reviewable. Just as a ruling on a play. Learn to read or comprehend.

And I just said IF this was an investigation, the Justice department would be in charge of it, it is the truth. Having a discussion on a fanboard shouldn't make me want to punch you in the face, Your condescending tone in your replies does.

From TMQ:

What Did NFL Headquarters Know and When Did They Know It? Just after Tom Brady ran for a touchdown to make it New England 27, Miami 17 with three minutes remaining, the highlight flag posted on NFL.com said, "Brady puts the Patriots up for good." That was the official NFL word with three minutes showing on the clock! So maybe that "Patriots comeback" was not as spontaneous as assumed. Bill Belichick was behind this somehow.

Just saying....

Wow--bringing religious believe in to bolster your argument. The stench of despair rises from your post. So your logic now goes: if I believe in Baby Jesus, then I should believe your contention that there is a conspiracy for refs to fix the outcome of games--because neither has yet to be proven and htey are equivalent.

I'm just going to let that stand as it is....

(awesome)

The point, doc, is believe what you want to believe. And what you find funny may not be funny to others.

Fixing the game would require the players to throw the game. But the refs can affect the outcome of the game if they are purposely making bad calls.

They don't want Luck because Manning thinks he will play way past his prime and doesn't want his heir apparent pushing him out too soon.

They could not just pick him but they don't want to deal with the fan base revolting.

Who is Sybil?

i firmly belive mannings ego will not allow the colts to draft luck.the colts paid him his entire salary this year instead of putting him on IR.

i firmly belive mannings ego will not allow the colts to draft luck.the colts paid him his entire salary this year instead of putting him on IR.

Even if he'd been put on IR, he'd have gotten his full salary and an accrued year. But you're right that his ego prevented them from IR'ing him and using his roster spot on someone else, after they lost too many games/it was clear he wasn't coming back this year.

Weo, you didn't say who it was and I called you out on it because of it, so you went and looked it up. :devil: Knew you would, so no I wasn't joking.

No, I never said THAT not in my first post, nor in my second. I said they should be just like any other challenge that they can make right now.

Here, I'll say it again in a fully complete version so you can understand. Throw out the red flag, if you are right, no TO charged to the team. 2 per game for each team (if you are right on 2, a 3rd is allowed). A penalty should be reviewable. Just as a ruling on a play. Learn to read or comprehend.

And I just said IF this was an investigation, the Justice department would be in charge of it, it is the truth. Having a discussion on a fanboard shouldn't make me want to punch you in the face, Your condescending tone in your replies does.

Yes, because I didn't mention their names, they were never more famous after their reporting on steroids in MLB and nor the subjects of countless interviews, articles and discussions, wrote a bestseller...you got me!

I said: "and you want more calls to be reviewed?"

you said: "I did not say that in my first or second posts"

then you followed with: "a penalty (which is not currently reviewable) should be reviewable"..."2 per game for each team".

And, again, who would be reviewing these calls?

If you want to punch someone, punch the guy who is posting in your name, brother.

The point, doc, is believe what you want to believe. And what you find funny may not be funny to others.

It's so much easier to believe that, in the absence of actual evidence, there is no ref scandal controlling the outcome of games. Unlike religion, there is no personal benefit in believing such a thing, for me anyway. You obviously get some satisfaction in believing that this conspiracy exists---that it has to exist as a way of explaining things for you, for things to make sense to you---just as others use religion for the same purpose. You can have it.

Edited by Mr. WEO

It's so much easier to believe that, in the absence of actual evidence, there is no ref scandal controlling the outcome of games. Unlike religion, there is no personal benefit in believing such a thing, for me anyway. You obviously get some satisfaction in believing that this conspiracy exists---that it has to exist as a way of explaining things for you, for things to make sense to you---just as others use religion for the same purpose. You can have it.

Just to reiterate, I never said there was a ref scandal. Just that refs being influenced cannot be wholly dismissed. But hey, that's me. I don't take things at face value.

It cant be wholly dismissed because we may never know until a " whistle blower" comes forward ( ha thats kinda funny ) and can get past the murder threats and such.

But to one of the posters here, the players could NEVER know whats up. That would become entirely too obvious. And the less folks involved cut down the chances of the beans spilling.

Maybe few of the refs know? it is just an order handed down to one official from the NFL for a game.

Believe it or not before i turned on the Bears Packers game i considered this discussion and realized that the outcome was already decided.

It cant be wholly dismissed because we may never know until a " whistle blower" comes forward ( ha thats kinda funny ) and can get past the murder threats and such.

But to one of the posters here, the players could NEVER know whats up. That would become entirely too obvious. And the less folks involved cut down the chances of the beans spilling.

Maybe few of the refs know? it is just an order handed down to one official from the NFL for a game.

Believe it or not before i turned on the Bears Packers game i considered this discussion and realized that the outcome was already decided.

Why couldn't the players be in on it? WWF wrestlers had their matches scripted, so they obviously knew it was fixed. Yet none of them admitted it, even though more than a few left under less than friendly terms.

because there are so many more players involved. Unless you mean that only the qb knew the jig. Or a defensive captain. Would not some players say hey what heck were you doing out there?

Players play to win and not too many would take a play off for more money. I suppose i am more naive than i thought at first, but if it was hockey i could see a goalie letting one slip for the point spread or a kicker missing. But i have trouble seeing more than one or two players on a team knowing that it was rigged and laying down. But you have a point i agree. it does happen in sport : (

Why couldn't the players be in on it? WWF wrestlers had their matches scripted, so they obviously knew it was fixed. Yet none of them admitted it, even though more than a few left under less than friendly terms.

Yes, someday, some brave former WWF'er will break the code of silence and let it be known that pro wrestling matches are scripted.

Are you really now equating well known scripted entertainment with pro football? In the WWF everyone was "in on it"--including the fans. Are you the only guy in the world who wasn't sure about this??

Yes, someday, some brave former WWF'er will break the code of silence and let it be known that pro wrestling matches are scripted.

Are you really now equating well known scripted entertainment with pro football? In the WWF everyone was "in on it"--including the fans. Are you the only guy in the world who wasn't sure about this??

That wasn't always the case. Some years ago they were pretending it was real. That's why it's "WWE" (Entertainment) now. I remember watching with my grandfather when I was probably 8 or 10 years old. I could see it was fake, but he reacted as though he thought it was real. Pretty funny.

NFL players, particularly good QB's, make too much money for it to be fixed at all. A QB of a favored team could easily throw the game if he wanted too. A few overthrows of open receivers, and couple pic-6's and J'ai fini. But the cost to get that to happen by someone wanting to bribe the QB would be prohibitive.

There aren't any other positions (other than maybe coaches) that could guarantee the result.

Vince McMahon came out an admitted matches were scripted about 15 years ago. Not sure what your point is since I had a feeling they were scripted prior to that, but couldn't say for certain.

That wasn't always the case. Some years ago they were pretending it was real. That's why it's "WWE" (Entertainment) now. I remember watching with my grandfather when I was probably 8 or 10 years old. I could see it was fake, but he reacted as though he thought it was real. Pretty funny.

NFL players, particularly good QB's, make too much money for it to be fixed at all. A QB of a favored team could easily throw the game if he wanted too. A few overthrows of open receivers, and couple pic-6's and J'ai fini. But the cost to get that to happen by someone wanting to bribe the QB would be prohibitive.

There aren't any other positions (other than maybe coaches) that could guarantee the result.

Can't believe I'm going to jump in here, but...WWE became WWE because they were sued by the World Wildlife Fund (WWF).

They still pretend it's real. And as Beerball tells you, they were sued and had to change their name.

Vince McMahon came out an admitted matches were scripted about 15 years ago. Not sure what your point is since I had a feeling they were scripted prior to that, but couldn't say for certain.

My point is that comparing a well known and scripted phony entertainment to the NFL in order to suggest that, like professional wrestlers, "why can't the (NFL) players be in on it" is ridiculous.

Can't believe I just pointed that out.

My point is that comparing a well known and scripted phony entertainment to the NFL in order to suggest that, like professional wrestlers, "why can't the (NFL) players be in on it" is ridiculous.

Can't believe I just pointed that out.

People surmised it was fixed, but it wasn't until McMahon came out and admitted it that it was proven. And as the dismissed "Spygate" case proved, the NFL could fix games and there's nothing you or I could do about it since it falls under the guise of "entertainment."