Any new news on a possible Succession Plan?

Jerry Jabber

Here's an article from October 2010, after John Wawrow talked with Ralph Wilson. I haven't been able to find it, but I remember another article from around the same time when Ralph was asked what Bills fans should expect from the team. Ralph responded with "Pain" and "Patience". Ralph also said he expects it to take 3 years to turn around the Bills, and he didn't plan to be around for it (which led to questions of a succession plan already in place). Plus, Jim Kelly's nephew posted on his twitter account (somewhere along these lines) "I met the new man today," then deleted the comment a day later.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/10/12/1746725/wawrow-speculates-on-possible-bills-succession-plan

Wawrow appeared on The Howard Simon Show on WGR 550 Tuesday morning (audio), and while on the air dropped the most intriguing bit of speculation I've yet heard regarding Mr. Wilson: Wawrow believes that the owner may quietly be putting together a succession plan for the ownership of his franchise.

"From what I've heard in the background, and seen happening - without saying anything definitively, because I can't, because no one's actually told me anything - I have a better feeling that this team might be here longer, beyond Ralph Wilson, for a long time," Wawrow said. "I can't say that with certainty, but I get the sense there's work going on in the background that will make the transition easier. I can't really get into specifics, because I can't pin down the facts."

"I'm not saying this is a guarantee," Wawrow continued. "I'm probably at maybe 65-70, 30-35 in thinking the Bills are staying here."

"Given the fact that Ralph Wilson is in the Hall of Fame, and built a legacy on voting against relocation, and the fact that I know the NFL wants a market in this region - and I'm speaking to the Toronto/Buffalo corridor - I can't foresee a team moving out of this region just because it's so valuable as far as its proximity goes," Wawrow said. "I think the history is also there with the number of people from the Bills organization who are in Canton."

Here's an article from October 2010, after John Wawrow talked with Ralph Wilson. I haven't been able to find it, but I remember another article from around the same time when Ralph was asked what Bills fans should expect from the team. Ralph responded with "Pain" and "Patience". Ralph also said he expects it to take 3 years to turn around the Bills, and he didn't plan to be around for it (which led to questions of a succession plan already in place). Plus, Jim Kelly's nephew posted on his twitter account (somewhere along these lines) "I met the new man today," then deleted the comment a day later.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/10/12/1746725/wawrow-speculates-on-possible-bills-succession-plan

Wawrow appeared on The Howard Simon Show on WGR 550 Tuesday morning (audio), and while on the air dropped the most intriguing bit of speculation I've yet heard regarding Mr. Wilson: Wawrow believes that the owner may quietly be putting together a succession plan for the ownership of his franchise.

"From what I've heard in the background, and seen happening - without saying anything definitively, because I can't, because no one's actually told me anything - I have a better feeling that this team might be here longer, beyond Ralph Wilson, for a long time," Wawrow said. "I can't say that with certainty, but I get the sense there's work going on in the background that will make the transition easier. I can't really get into specifics, because I can't pin down the facts."

"I'm not saying this is a guarantee," Wawrow continued. "I'm probably at maybe 65-70, 30-35 in thinking the Bills are staying here."

"Given the fact that Ralph Wilson is in the Hall of Fame, and built a legacy on voting against relocation, and the fact that I know the NFL wants a market in this region - and I'm speaking to the Toronto/Buffalo corridor - I can't foresee a team moving out of this region just because it's so valuable as far as its proximity goes," Wawrow said. "I think the history is also there with the number of people from the Bills organization who are in Canton."

I don't think there is any real confirmed news out there, only theories, some, which make sense. Not sure what Wawrrow is referring to. But, I am pretty confident, like him, that there is a plan...whether it works, who knows. And, I am pretty certain, Jim Kelly, in some way, is involved with whatever that plan is.

I can tell you, I have heard from two sources, connected with the Bills (one currently, another who used to post here, no longer employed by the Bills), independently of eachother, that a few years back, a staff meeting was held. The staff was told that Jim Kelly would be around the offices, a lot, in some undefined role. He would not be a coach, and would not be involved with on the field stuff...they were not to ask Kelly anything about why he was there, and shouldn't discuss it with anyone. Just get used to seeing a lot of Jim Kelly, they were told, and help him with any info he asks for. The conclusion that was drawn, by the somewhat puzzled staff, was that Kelly was kind of "interning" or, learing the ropes of day to day operations of the Buffalo Bills. Perhaps, like Bowlan with Elway, Ralph wants to relinquish control to Kelly at some point...I am kind of surprised it hasn't happened yet. I am not sure what motivation Ralph would have not to divuldge more, or let us fans know that there is a future in Buffalo, for the Bills. But, whatever his reasons.

This may all sound absurd, and this is just me filling in the blanks, as I see them...but, over the last 3-4 years, everytime I have heard Kelly speak about the future of the Bills, I am struck by how definitive he is that they are not going anywhere, and, it seems to me, he is speaking from a position of authority...an authority that comes with knowing somethig that we don't know...yet...I have heard Thurman Thomas speak the same way...like they have some big secret they can't wait to tell everybody...

Of course, as strong as my hunch feels that there is a plan, I am not 100% convinced it wouldn't fall through, either. Kelly and/or Thurman Thomas, or an ownership group of former Bills greats (I have heard Bruce and Talley mentioned as possible part owners too) most likely would not have the money it would take to buy, and operate, an NFL franchise, in this day and age...so if there is anything to all of this, there has to be a real "money man" involved... I hope it is Terry Pegula, but it could be someone else...

Edited by Buftex

I don't think there is any real confirmed news out there, only theories, some, which make sense. Not sure what Wawrrow is referring to. But, I am pretty confident, like him, that there is a plan...whether it works, who knows. And, I am pretty certain, Jim Kelly, in some way, is involved with whatever that plan is.

I can tell you, I have heard from two sources, connected with the Bills (one currently, another who used to post here, no longer employed by the Bills), independently of eachother, that a few years back, a staff meeting was held. The staff was told that Jim Kelly would be around the offices, a lot, in some undefined role. He would not be a coach, and would not be involved with on the field stuff...they were not to ask Kelly anything about why he was there, and shouldn't discuss it with anyone. Just get used to seeing a lot of Jim Kelly, they were told, and help him with any info he asks for. The conclusion that was drawn, by the somewhat puzzled staff, was that Kelly was kind of "interning" or, learing the ropes of day to day operations of the Buffalo Bills. Perhaps, like Bowlan with Elway, Ralph wants to relinquish control to Kelly at some point...I am kind of surprised it hasn't happened yet. I am not sure what motivation Ralph would have not to divuldge more, or let us fans know that there is a future in Buffalo, for the Bills. But, whatever his reasons.

This may all sound absurd, and this is just me filling in the blanks, as I see them...but, over the last 3-4 years, everytime I have heard Kelly speak about the future of the Bills, I am struck by how definitive he is that they are not going anywhere, and, it seems to me, he is speaking from a position of authority...an authority that comes with knowing somethig that we don't know...yet...I have heard Thurman Thomas speak the same way...like they have some big secret they can't wait to tell everybody...

Of course, as strong as my hunch feels that there is a plan, I am not 100% convinced it wouldn't fall through, either. Kelly and/or Thurman Thomas, or an ownership group of former Bills greats (I have heard Bruce and Talley mentioned as possible part owners too) most likely would not have the money it would take to buy, and operate, an NFL franchise, in this day and age...so if there is anything to all of this, there has to be a real "money man" involved... I hope it is Terry Pegula, but it could be someone else...

Speculation all of it, including AP reports as the author himself even alluded to. Doesn't Kelly need to do something to justify his contract with the team he signed when he retired? So marching the halls of OBD, shouldn't be thought of him interning. And,unless he has an iron clad signed deal. Who's to know new ownership (if not the vaunted kelly ownership group)wouldn't tell him to take a hike along with Litman Overdorf, etc.?

Again since it's all speculation, I would say that Litman, Overdorf, Brandon, all of the money suits would bend Ralph's ear to keep it to the bitter end. The reasoning is quite simple. Those clowns will be unemployed minutes after the ink dries on a sale contract.It would be great if Ralph had something brewing, but unless tax codes favor a sale while he's alive don't count on it. Also, a signed sealed, and delivered deal before his death would be impossible to keep under wraps. The egos involved would be too explosive to allow it.

Kelly's heart is in the right place. From what I've read though, over the years he is not a businessman, I believe his brother actually at least used to manage a lot of Jim's financial interests.

I don't see the actual business person or persons (read the guys that have 100's of millions to invest or secure funding) eventually buy the team would see Kelly as anything more than a HOF cheerleader.I'm not attacking Kelly but really what does he bring to the table other than his love of his former team? He'a not interested in coaching. He doesn't seem like a Elway kind of guy who did run post NFL businesses. Then got back in. As for Kelly's Nephew, yea he would be knowledgeable on a sale of one of 32 NFL teams, LOL.

Thanks a lot for the info! That makes a lot of sense, because we always see Jim Kelly on the sidelines during games. Plus, like you said, Kelly is very definitive when discussing the future of the Bills. I'd love it if Terry Pegula bought the Bills, that would be a dream come true.

If the "succession" doesn't happen in the offseason, I wonder if or when it would happen?

Thanks a lot for the info! That makes a lot of sense, because we always see Jim Kelly on the sidelines during games. Plus, like you said, Kelly is very definitive when discussing the future of the Bills. I'd love it if Terry Pegula bought the Bills, that would be a dream come true.

If the "succession" doesn't happen in the offseason, I wonder if or when it would happen?

Yes, T-Pegs would be ideal, it seems. He and Kelly both have the Pittsburgh backround in common...but I have no knowledge if Pegula and Kelly have any kind of relationship at all. But, given the way that Pegula has embraced ownership of the Sabres, he does seem to really place a lot of emphasis on team alumni, and seems to want to have ex-players involved.

Speculation all of it, including AP reports as the author himself even alluded to. Doesn't Kelly need to do something to justify his contract with the team he signed when he retired? So marching the halls of OBD, shouldn't be thought of him interning. And,unless he has an iron clad signed deal. Who's to know new ownership (if not the vaunted kelly ownership group)wouldn't tell him to take a hike along with Litman Overdorf, etc.?

Again since it's all speculation, I would say that Litman, Overdorf, Brandon, all of the money suits would bend Ralph's ear to keep it to the bitter end. The reasoning is quite simple. Those clowns will be unemployed minutes after the ink dries on a sale contract.It would be great if Ralph had something brewing, but unless tax codes favor a sale while he's alive don't count on it. Also, a signed sealed, and delivered deal before his death would be impossible to keep under wraps. The egos involved would be too explosive to allow it.

Kelly's heart is in the right place. From what I've read though, over the years he is not a businessman, I believe his brother actually at least used to manage a lot of Jim's financial interests.

I don't see the actual business person or persons (read the guys that have 100's of millions to invest or secure funding) eventually buy the team would see Kelly as anything more than a HOF cheerleader.I'm not attacking Kelly but really what does he bring to the table other than his love of his former team? He'a not interested in coaching. He doesn't seem like a Elway kind of guy who did run post NFL businesses. Then got back in. As for Kelly's Nephew, yea he would be knowledgeable on a sale of one of 32 NFL teams, LOL.

I am not sure if Kelly has an actual contract with the Bills (I honestly don't know), but he started "working" for the Bills at the time I am talking about. At one point, there was supposed to be a "major announcement" in regards to Kelly and the Bills, during one of the Super Bowl media weeks, but it never happened, for some unknown reason.

Having to have an NFL-standard stadium is a big impediment to relocation. Love it or hate it, the Ralph is paid for and there. With $100m of renovation, it is an NFL qualified stadium. The Bills are not moving unless another city/county/province builds a stadium that a buyer of the Bills can lease. L.A. needs a stadium, so does Toronto, so do all the candidate cities. That is a $1b impediment to moving the Bills. Outside of that, I cannot see why anyone would pay $800m for the Bills and try to make the investment pay off in WNY. That would be financial suicide. The numbers could not possibly work.

Yes, T-Pegs would be ideal, it seems. He and Kelly both have the Pittsburgh backround in common...but I have no knowledge if Pegula and Kelly have any kind of relationship at all. But, given the way that Pegula has embraced ownership of the Sabres, he does seem to really place a lot of emphasis on team alumni, and seems to want to have ex-players involved.

I am not sure if Kelly has an actual contract with the Bills (I honestly don't know), but he started "working" for the Bills at the time I am talking about. At one point, there was supposed to be a "major announcement" in regards to Kelly and the Bills, during one of the Super Bowl media weeks, but it never happened, for some unknown reason.

yea, I'm going by memory,which can be clouded at times. But, I thought there was deal (contract) when Kelly retired. Also, it was for considerable money. Part of the reason was, his play had fallen off dramatically, and they wanted him to still be a part of the orginization. Maybe to ease his transition. Maybe I shouldn't have said that but someone will know.

As for "T-Pegs", probably couldn't be a better future owner in the wings. if it has any validity. He made one or two off the cuff remarks about it, and the suffering faithful are hoping its true. My first question to Pegugula would be the following: Do you plan on keeping the Stanley cups and Lombardi trophy's separate or together at a neutral site!!!!! We can only hope.

yea, I'm going by memory,which can be clouded at times. But, I thought there was deal (contract) when Kelly retired. Also, it was for considerable money. Part of the reason was, his play had fallen off dramatically, and they wanted him to still be a part of the orginization. Maybe to ease his transition. Maybe I shouldn't have said that but someone will know.

As for "T-Pegs", probably couldn't be a better future owner in the wings. if it has any validity. He made one or two off the cuff remarks about it, and the suffering faithful are hoping its true. My first question to Pegugula would be the following: Do you plan on keeping the Stanley cups and Lombardi trophy's separate or together at a neutral site!!!!! We can only hope.

That Stanley Cup may still be a year or two away! :P

Succession plan is likely have Ralph give the team to his wife and she is the owner but Jim is the front man for it. That way no taxes at all and if/when she decides to sell she has to pay little tax on it if she holds it for a few years. She and the family may actually want the team despite what is said publicly.

"Given the fact that Ralph Wilson is in the Hall of Fame, and built a legacy on voting against relocation, and the fact that I know the NFL wants a market in this region - and I'm speaking to the Toronto/BuffaloBUFFALO/toronto corridor - I can't foresee a team moving out of this region just because it's so valuable as far as its proximity goes," Wawrow said. "I think the history is also there with the number of people from the Bills organization who are in Canton."

Fixed.

Hope this is true and that the new owner strikes a balance between Ralph and Dan Snyder and is precisely aggressive in free agency and retaining elite coaches and players.