Super Bowl QB's

Kevin

Those are exceptions, not the rule.

Yes, if you build HOF calliber defenses, you can win with a below average quarterback.

Let's start by going from one of the worst defenses in the league to average or above average first.

What this guy said. Look at the defenses that those two teams had, it is unlikely the Bills D will ever reach that caliber in our lifetime let alone while Fitz is here. Those two along with the '85 Bears are probably the 3 greatest of the past 30 years. I cannot attest to anything prior to that because of my age but I am guessing the 70's Steelers are on that level along with some others.

07-08 Giants have to be included too. Eli was pretty awful that year...

23 TD

20 INT

56.1 % completion

73.9 QB Rating

6.3 yards per attempt

13 fumbles

Defense can win championships with below average QB play. Roethlisberger's first SB season was largely a defensive effort as well.

I agree that Eli was disappointing that year during the regular season, which is an important reason why the Giants only went 9-7 and snuck into the playoffs. Once the Giants were in the playoffs, Eli took his game up a notch or three. That improvement carried over into the following season. He went from a very disappointing 6.3 yards per attempt in '07 to a respectable 6.8 yards per attempt in '08, and a franchise-like 7.9 yards per attempt in '09. He averaged 7.4 and 8.2 yards per attempt in 2010 and 2011 respectively. He's been playing at a franchise QB level the last three years.

Just as Eli has played at a franchise level the last three seasons, he also looked like he was at or near a franchise level in the '07/'08 postseason. He won the Super Bowl MVP award. He also played very well in the playoff games.

As for the OP's point, nine of the last ten Super Bowl winners had franchise QBs. As for the tenth--the Tampa Bay Bucs--they had Brad Johnson at quarterback. He played well enough that year to be selected to the Pro Bowl. Even with the Bucs' ridiculously good defense, they still needed a high level of QB play to win the Super Bowl.

It's been over a decade since the Ravens won the Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer under center. Every player on their defense was at or near a Pro Bowl level. Some were at or near a Hall of Fame level. Every player on their four man defensive line required a double team to be kept under control. Their offensive line was led by a Hall of Fame-level LT in Jon Ogden. They had an excellent running game in the form of Jamal Lewis. They had a Pro Bowl/Hall of Fame TE in Shannon Sharpe.

So yeah . . . the Bills can win a Super Bowl with mediocre QB play. All they have to do is what the Ravens did: make sure that every player on their defense is at or near a Pro Bowl level, create one of the three best defenses in NFL history, build a Ravens-like OL with a Hall of Fame LT, and hope that a few breaks go their way. Or they could find a franchise quarterback, and build from there!

Edited by Edwards' Arm