Joe Strummer died 9 years ago today....

Buftex

Where does the time go? Strummer was a big part of my youth...gutter snipe, gang boss, activist, punk, hippie, gentlemen...he is truly missed. One of my favorite Strummer moments...he's the one singing an playing the piano for you kiddies:

RIP Joe!

If anyone is interested, and hasn't seen them already, I would highly recommend the BBC Clash documentary "Westway to the World". You can actually watch the entire thing (about 80 minutes) on Youtube... also, the excellent Strummer documentary "The Future Is Unwritten"...it really will leave you with a sense of how great a loss this was...Joe's solo albums, which sold by the dozens, are pretty brilliant. I will admit, I didn't appreciate them as much when the came out (though I purchased them upon release), but the documentary really makes you hear them.

i remember, well, when the Who played Rich Stadium in one of their first farewell shows. David Johannsen and The Clash opened up for them...I was more excited to see the clash than i was to see the who...i am so glad I got to see them...what a band!!!

9 years? yikes, time is a jerk. I remember walking into the grimey punk rock bar I spend most of my time in that night. Maybe 10 people there drinking hard to the Pogues and one guy at the bar crying. Everyone was just quiet, which is pretty rare in that dump. Just a whole room of people mourning the loss of someone they never met. In a weird way one of my favorite memories because it really showed how these people move us.

9 years? yikes, time is a jerk. I remember walking into the grimey punk rock bar I spend most of my time in that night. Maybe 10 people there drinking hard to the Pogues and one guy at the bar crying. Everyone was just quiet, which is pretty rare in that dump. Just a whole room of people mourning the loss of someone they never met. In a weird way one of my favorite memories because it really showed how these people move us.

One of the greatest shows I ever went to, the Pouges, in a very old dance hall, just outside of Toronto. Strummer was filling in for Phil Chevron, who was ill, back in England/Ireland (or wherever). It was 1987 IIRC. Shane was at the height of his drunken period. McGowan was so out of it, he couldn't really do a whole show...so Joe stepped up and fronted the band for at least half a dozen songs...it was awesome...hearing "London Calling" played with traditional Irish instrumentation gave me chills...I hear there are some live recordings of Strummer with the Pouges out there somewhere....love to get my hands on them...

Edited by Buftex