Batten vs Spencer Johnson.

Not saying fans are always right or even right more often, but saying the coaches always know better is wrong too.

No doubt. In some instances, I think coaches can't see the forest for the trees and fans actually have a better analytic angle. A good example is that pretty much everybody on this board knew Trent was done before Chan anointed him the starter in 2010.

My beef is the assumption that the guys sitting on the bench will be magically better than the guys on the field - especially at QB. Everyone from Levi Brown to Brian Brohm has, at some point, been illogically championed as the white knight to save the Bills.

Sorry but if you put ALL these practice squad guys out against NFL starters, you'll be so outmanned you won't see who cam and can't play. You'll probably see a spike in injuries too.

Well my post was more about Kamar Aiken and not all the names listed... There was a point in the season where we low on WR's and brought in a guy named Ruvell Martin who I had to watch live at the Ralph and for some reason I really dont know why but I just don't like the dude... Yet in the practice squad we have a guy named Kamar Aiken who in preseason looked to have something in him, we don't give him a shot? At least dress him up... Give the guy 5 snaps in a game and then go watch film and see if he was where he was supposed to be and what not... I am definitely no scout but I felt that way about Stevie when he had dreads and was like yo who is this number 13 on the team? In my opinion we need a monster #1 WR like Calvin Johnson or Dez Bryant and that would make stevie an incredible #2... Then all we would need after that is to find a good slot WR... Everybody else we have is pretty reliable as backups (David Nelson, Naaman Roosevelt, Roscoe, Donald Jones)

No doubt. In some instances, I think coaches can't see the forest for the trees and fans actually have a better analytic angle. A good example is that pretty much everybody on this board knew Trent was done before Chan anointed him the starter in 2010.

My beef is the assumption that the guys sitting on the bench will be magically better than the guys on the field - especially at QB. Everyone from Levi Brown to Brian Brohm has, at some point, been illogically championed as the white knight to save the Bills.

Clearly it's not impossible for a fan to get one that the coaches miss, but I think it's exception by far. As you said we all call for Joe backup to get his shot and maybe 10% of the time that's the right play... but does that mean to pull nine other guys off the field, like some in this thread want, is smart? Absolutely not.

Honestly, I don't even love the example you chose. I'm guessing (especially seeing how quick Trent was canned) that the evaluation was that fitz was a safe bet for 4-5 wins but Trent was the wildcard (built like a franchise qb with Stanford smarts to boot - but a mess from the last regime). Sure you might give up a game or two but was worth it to see if Trent could trust his new coaches system and the reads. Answered quick and move on.

Edited by NoSaint