Turner Gill named head coach at Liberty

bbb

One thing, when Auburn hired Chzick(sp)the guys like Jesse Jackson & Charles Barkley were none to quick to flip the racism card that they love to pull. Well I think 3 years later looking back everybody could agree that race had nothing to do with it & Auburn chose the right man for the job.

That would depend on who you ask. There is (at this time) a small faction of the Auburn base who have cast a critical eye towards Cheeze-It,

and they are not totally thrilled with what they see.

Does this mean Cheeze-It is on a hot seat for this upcoming year? Not by a long shot.

The criticism against Cheeze-It is compelling though.

In 3 years, he has a record of 29-10 (possibly 30-10 if he wins the this years bowl game). Nice record you think, with a NC to go along with it.

Time to break it down.

His regular season records are: 7-5, 12-0, and 7-5. One great year book ended by a couple of not great years.

It gets darker when they dig deeper.

Cheeze-It is:

1-2 vs LSU

1-2 vs Arkansas

1-2 vs Alabama

1-2 vs Georgia

As long as Auburn is in the West, they have to compete against those top 3, and right now, he's losing the war.

And the bottom 2 are Aurburn's biggest rivals. Ouch.

To rub salt into the wound, the beat downs those 4 teams gave Auburn this year were ugly.

As one Barner poster put it, he could stomach the losses if the team was at least competitive, but they weren't even close.

The next year or 2 will be interesting on the Cheeze-It watch.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would depend on who you ask. There is (at this time) a small faction of the Auburn base who have cast a critical eye towards Cheeze-It,

Does this mean Cheeze-It is on a hot seat for this upcoming year? Not by a long shot.

In 3 years, he has a record of 29-10 (possibly 30-10 if he wins the this years bowl game). Nice record you think, with a NC to go along with it.

Time to break it down.

His regular season records are: 7-5, 12-0, and 7-5. One great year book ended by a couple of not great years.

Cheeze-It is:

1-2 vs LSU

1-2 vs Arkansas

1-2 vs Alabama

1-2 vs Georgia

As long as Auburn is in the West, they have to compete against those top 3, and right now, he's losing the war.

To rub salt into the wound, the beat downs those 4 teams gave Auburn this year were ugly.

As one Barner poster put it, he could stomach the losses if the team was at least competitive, but they weren't even close.

but I think in the two man debate - auburn boosters would be 100% behind him over gill at this point.

Time to break it down.

Cheeze-It is:

1-2 vs LSU

1-2 vs Arkansas

1-2 vs Alabama

1-2 vs Georgia

Man, they are such a tough division!

BTW, What % of the state are Bammers vs. what % are Barners?

Time to break it down.

Cheeze-It is:

1-2 vs LSU

1-2 vs Arkansas

1-2 vs Alabama

1-2 vs Georgia

The guy brought a National Championship(with the help of Cam Newton). Auburn is the classic example of unrealistic expectations by their fans. There are several schools like this. Bottomline is Auburn is not Alabama & it never will be, just like Texas A&M is not Texas & it never will be. Auburn is a school if everything falls right may be able to compete for a NC once every 10-15 years. They are not going to be a school that dominates year in & year out. But the fans expect this. I lump them in with schools like Clemson/A&M/Georgia. Those schools will go to their bowl games every year but their fans expect much more & their schools are not setup like that.

The guy brought a National Championship(with the help of Cam Newton). Auburn is the classic example of unrealistic expectations by their fans. There are several schools like this. Bottomline is Auburn is not Alabama & it never will be, just like Texas A&M is not Texas & it never will be. Auburn is a school if everything falls right may be able to compete for a NC once every 10-15 years. They are not going to be a school that dominates year in & year out. But the fans expect this. I lump them in with schools like Clemson/A&M/Georgia. Those schools will go to their bowl games every year but their fans expect much more & their schools are not setup like that.

Wrong. Cam Newton brought a championship to Auburn. Any coach could have ridden his coattails in 2010.

Gill got a raw deal at KU because that team is an irrelevant football program and they expected him to turn it around in 2 years. KU had one fluke season in 2008 when they went to the orange bowl, but aside from that, what else have they done in the last 50 years? Nothing. Their last conference title was in 1968 and they expected Gill to bring them back to that level in 2 years?

Gill got the last laugh, because he's still getting paid by KU and Jabba the hutt part II isn't going to do any better at Kansas.

Edited by Ramius

Wrong. Cam Newton brought a championship to Auburn. Any coach could have ridden his coattails in 2010.

Gill got a raw deal at KU because that team is an irrelevant football program and they expected him to turn it around in 2 years. KU had one fluke season in 2008 when they went to the orange bowl, but aside from that, what else have they done in the last 50 years? Nothing. Their last conference title was in 1968 and they expected Gill to bring them back to that level in 2 years?

Gill got the last laugh, because he's still getting paid by KU and Jabba the hutt part II isn't going to do any better at Kansas.

I don't think they expected Gill to bring them back to that level. He wouldn't have been fired already if he just kept it at the Mangino level the last few years.

They lost games this year where the winning team had 66, 70, 59 and 61 points. That is insane. (And, teams scored over 42 points 4 other times. So, 8 games over 42, and 4 games over 59, including a 70 pointer!)

Get the hell out of here. If you would watch any football outside of Florida you would know at least Mangino had that program respectable. They won 8 games in 2008, 12 games in 2007 & 6 games in 2006. The biggest laugh is Gill got a raw deal. Please. When your team is 120th ranked out of 120 teams in points allowed & your defense has given up 66/70/59/61 points in four of your losses no coach in Amercia is going to survive that.

& yes Cam Newton obviously played a huge role in Auburn's NC. I forgot The last 4-5 national championship teams all had borderline D-1 prospects playing for them. Alabama is going to have 3, possibly 4 1st round draft picks in April playing against LSU next month. Point is there no coach gets there unless they have the horses.

Get the hell out of here. If you would watch any football outside of Florida you would know at least Mangino had that program respectable. They won 8 games in 2008, 12 games in 2007 & 6 games in 2006. The biggest laugh is Gill got a raw deal. Please. When your team is 120th ranked out of 120 teams in points allowed & your defense has given up 66/70/59/61 points in four of your losses no coach in Amercia is going to survive that.

& yes Cam Newton obviously played a huge role in Auburn's NC. I forgot The last 4-5 national championship teams all had borderline D-1 prospects playing for them. Alabama is going to have 3, possibly 4 1st round draft picks in April playing against LSU next month. Point is there no coach gets there unless they have the horses.

And KU lost their last 7 games in a row to get MM fired. KU has always been thought of as a basketball school and struggles to recruit. IMO, it is completely BS to fire a coach before he gets a chance to have any of their own recruits play.

And given what Gill did with Drew Willey and Zach Maynard, it's not a stretch to think he could do wonders with Newton as well. The talent level between Auburn and Kansas are 2 different worlds. Gill is a very good recruiter but they never gave him a chance to recruit. Screw Kansas and I have very little doubt Gill will be back as a head guy in D1A soon enough.

And KU lost their last 7 games in a row to get MM fired. KU has always been thought of as a basketball school and struggles to recruit. IMO, it is completely BS to fire a coach before he gets a chance to have any of their own recruits play.

And given what Gill did with Drew Willey and Zach Maynard, it's not a stretch to think he could do wonders with Newton as well. The talent level between Auburn and Kansas are 2 different worlds. Gill is a very good recruiter but they never gave him a chance to recruit. Screw Kansas and I have very little doubt Gill will be back as a head guy in D1A soon enough.

I hope so. I really like him. I thought he was going to do great at Kansas, but those scores were just hideous this year.

I am not saying Kansas is some kind of powerhouse nor that Gill can not coach/recruit. But it was pretty apparent right from the get go that Gill was way out of his league. When your team is getting beat by 30-40 points every game & your defense is letting up 60-70 points in games someone is getting whacked & it is usually the head coach.

I hope so. I really like him. I thought he was going to do great at Kansas, but those scores were just hideous this year.

And he is a great guy. IMO, blowouts are a bit overrated. You fall behind and start having to go for it on 4th down or throw every down. The games just get away sometimes. But if you fire a college coach after 2 seasons, you should fire your AD as well.

And he is a great guy. IMO, blowouts are a bit overrated. You fall behind and start having to go for it on 4th down or throw every down. The games just get away sometimes. But if you fire a college coach after 2 seasons, you should fire your AD as well.

Actually, Lew Perkins hired Gill. Sheahorn Zenger is the AD that fired Gill. Perkins was gone by the fall of 2010.

but I think in the two man debate - auburn boosters would be 100% behind him over gill at this point.

Absolutely. I wasn't trying to imply that any Aubie would take Gill over Gene at this point.

I was pointing out how fast Cheeze-It's "shine" has faded with some of the faithful.

And given what Gill did with Drew Willey and Zach Maynard, it's not a stretch to think he could do wonders with Newton as well.

The problem with this assumption is that Gill would have recruited Newton.

I have no idea if he would have or not, but it's not inconceivable to think, given the baggage surrounding Newton at that time, Gill may gone in a different direction looking for a QB.

And with no Newton, I do not see Auburn winning the NC last year.

And the players that were getting their asses kicked were mangino's recruits. College is an entirely different ball game from the pros. Expecting any college coach to turn around a program in 2 years is completely ridiculous. You've got to give them enough time to bring in their own guys and implement their own system. Especially at a school where big time recruits aren't knocking the door to come play at.

I don't care that Kansas won 12 games in 2008, they are still irrelevant on the football field. And that irrelevancy means that you can't expect a lot right out of the gate from a new coach. Gill got a raw deal.

And the players that were getting their asses kicked were mangino's recruits. College is an entirely different ball game from the pros. Expecting any college coach to turn around a program in 2 years is completely ridiculous. You've got to give them enough time to bring in their own guys and implement their own system. Especially at a school where big time recruits aren't knocking the door to come play at.

I don't care that Kansas won 12 games in 2008, they are still irrelevant on the football field. And that irrelevancy means that you can't expect a lot right out of the gate from a new coach. Gill got a raw deal.

Agreed. If Gill would of went 4-7/5-6 both years & not getting blown out & having your defense giving up 50 points + on a weekly basis Gill would still be the coach at Kansas. Noone expected him to go to the BCS championship, compete for the Big 12 title or even go to a high end bowl. But is it that unrealistic with 35 bowl games out there not to expect him to at least get his team into one of the lower end bowl games in his 2nd year & not have his defense embarrass themselves every Saturday? Gill deserved to be fired based on his teams results these last 2 years.

He wouldn't have been fired if he just kept them at the same level or even a little worse. He didn't have to turn the program around.........Mangino got fired for his behavior, not for his record.

KU is not expecting to win the BCS, but also not expecting to have 4 teams go score between 59 and 70 points on them in one year.

Agreed. If Gill would of went 4-7/5-6 both years & not getting blown out & having your defense giving up 50 points + on a weekly basis Gill would still be the coach at Kansas. Noone expected him to go to the BCS championship, compete for the Big 12 title or even go to a high end bowl.

Kansas AD Zenger never got that memo:

"... I have concluded that new leadership is necessary to place us on the path toward competing for championships in the Big 12 Conference," Zenger said in a statement."

My link

He wouldn't have been fired if he just kept them at the same level or even a little worse. He didn't have to turn the program around.........Mangino got fired for his behavior, not for his record.

And what level would that have been? It took Mangino 4 years to produce a winning record. His overall record at Kansas is 50-48. I will not mention his conference record, because that's flat out ugly.

Gill had one of the youngest squads in the BigWhatever. IMHO, he should have gotten at least one more year.

KU is not expecting to win the BCS, but also not expecting to have 4 teams go score between 59 and 70 points on them in one year.

Mangino had 3 out of 8 seasons with 7 or more wins. He had 1 winning season in conference. So, as cynical said, what level was Gill expected to keep them at? Gill's recruits would be juniors and sophomores this upcoming season. One would think this would be the season where they'd start to show what they've really got.

I don't care what school you are, expecting a coach to turn a program around in 2 years is completely ridiculous.

Mangino had 3 out of 8 seasons with 7 or more wins. He had 1 winning season in conference. So, as cynical said, what level was Gill expected to keep them at? Gill's recruits would be juniors and sophomores this upcoming season. One would think this would be the season where they'd start to show what they've really got.

I don't care what school you are, expecting a coach to turn a program around in 2 years is completely ridiculous.

How many times do I have to say it. Mangino was not fired because of his record, so it wasn't a matter of turning it around. What level? How about a level where there are less than 8 games where the opponent hangs 43+ on you and less than 4 where they hang 59-70 points on you.

What don't you understand about those those scores? They would get anybody fired.

I like Gill, but I'm just telling you why he got fired. I follow KU pretty close and it was a total disaster the last two years.