Turner Gill named head coach at Liberty

bbb

In terms of football, it would appear that it was a bad move. Two years at a BCS school, and then all the way down to D1A or whatever they call it.

However, last week or so, when Kansas hired Weis, I heard them say that Gill was still owed $2M a year - I think he originally got a 5 year $10M contract.

So, does Kansas get a savings here - say he gets $500K from Liberty - does Kansas now only have to pay him $1.5M a year?

Financially, it seems he sure made the right move by going to Kansas, no matter if he gets $2M plus what Liberty pays him or a straight $2M.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is very difficult to affect change at a major college program, especially one like Kansas that has a haphazard history, in that short period of time. Heck, his recruiting classes probably never got a chance to start.

Edited by BuffaloBud

Liberty is a very well funded [criminal] organization in VA. It draws % wise as much as any school in the state IIRC. A few people I work with had kids who went to school or play there (we transferred from Appo).

Either way, they seriously are criminals. They extort people through Fartwell to pay the tidings to the school, to draw the Christian vote, etc. It is amazing how Fartwell has done so well for himself after fornicating with his mother in an outhouse.

Liberty is a very well funded [criminal] organization in VA. It draws % wise as much as any school in the state IIRC. A few people I work with had kids who went to school or play there (we transferred from Appo).

Either way, they seriously are criminals. They extort people through Fartwell to pay the tidings to the school, to draw the Christian vote, etc. It is amazing how Fartwell has done so well for himself after fornicating with his mother in an outhouse.

Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.

Nothing ventured - nothing gained. Gill will take what he learned at Kansas and apply it to Liberty, then progress from there. If I am not mistaken, Liberty usually has a pretty strong team.

My parents now live near Liberty U. The school has experienced explosive growth and is apparently developing deep pockets. There is potential for this to turn into a good gig for him.

So, you like the move by Gill then?

He's dead now.

Gill was in way over his head at Kansas & it showed right from the get go. I mean alot of games they were giving up 40 -50 points. Speaking strictly football wise he would of been better served staying at UB for another 3-5 years or so. He had a good situation there, made a name for himself with the recruiting & had a good relationship with Manuel. With that being said he also probably realized he needs to strike when the iron is hot. UB is not the easiest place to win at even in the MAC. You can't blame the guy for jumping at the chance to coach big time college football & get paid all that money.

One thing, when Auburn hired Chzick(sp)the guys like Jesse Jackson & Charles Barkley were none to quick to flip the racism card that they love to pull. Well I think 3 years later looking back everybody could agree that race had nothing to do with it & Auburn chose the right man for the job.

Edited by Gordio

Gill was in way over his head at Kansas & it showed right from the get go. I mean alot of games they were giving up 40 -50 points. Speaking strictly football wise he would of been better served staying at UB for another 3-5 years or so. He had a good situation there, made a name for himself with the recruiting & had a good relationship with Manuel. With that being said he also probably realized he needs to strike when the iron is hot. UB is not the easiest place to win at even in the MAC. You can't blame the guy for jumping at the chance to coach big time college football & get paid all that money.

One thing, when Auburn hired Chzick(sp)the guys like Jesse Jackson & Charles Barkley were none to quick to flip the racism card that they love to pull. Well I think 3 years later looking back everybody could agree that race had nothing to do with it & Auburn chose the right man for the job.

I was very disappointed in Gill after the 2008 dream season, not because he left but because he became so distracted during the 2009 season. It almost looked like he was so pissed he didn't get the Auburn or SU jobs he just stopped paying attention to UB. I recall a TV shot of the sidelines during an ESPN game. UB was getting blown out, and standing behind Gill on the sidelines several UB players were laughing and texting on their cell phones. If that isn't a lack of focus and discipline, I don't know what is.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

It's completely BS to fire a coach after 2 seasons. Kansas is hardly a national power and he never got a chance to bring his own guys in. The last QB he had at UB is now starting at Cal. He has several guys in the NFL as well. Gill is a very good coach and IMO, he will be a great fit at Liberty and eventually on the major college level again.

It's completely BS to fire a coach after 2 seasons. Kansas is hardly a national power and he never got a chance to bring his own guys in. The last QB he had at UB is now starting at Cal. He has several guys in the NFL as well. Gill is a very good coach and IMO, he will be a great fit at Liberty and eventually on the major college level again.

It wasn't that they lost games, but like bbb said, it is how they lost. I know alot of you guys do not follow college football closely this team went from respectable under Mangino(they played in the Orange Bowl in 2008 I believe) to just downright one of the worst teams in D1 in just 2 short years. I mean teams were hanging on a weekly basis 50/60 points on them. You can not have that & in the end Gill had to go.

I know I asked a lot of questions in my original post, but does anybody know how the money works?

I know he's owed $2M a year from KU. So, do they get to deduct whatever he makes from Liberty and therefore he still gets $2M whether he sits on his ass or coaches Liberty?